• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

logsdail or raphael?

set you free

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
You are supposed to be returning that suit of yours....

Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
oh don't worry i'm doing that first

I regret not waiting a day or two before dropping off the printouts. There is so much more.
I wonder if anyone from Tom Ford has decided to monitor the threads.

Please let us know what they tell you tomorrow. And apologize to the woman for my running out so fast - it felt a little weird.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
To be fair, I don't think Tom Ford is anything like Dior Homme (the others are Latin to me). Dior Homme is just cut skinny all around. Tom Ford is cut with big, broad shoulders, so you can get a skinnier looking waist without all that tight a fit.

Oh exactly, I don't doubt that TF is cut for an average, relatively in shape but nothing exceptional 40-50 y/o who thinks luxury is flying his secretary to Hawai.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I will have to go downtown and check it out. Maybe I will try to do a mafoo-style expose. It just seems like Ford is doing this for money rather than art, so it would make sense that his stuff would fit normal people.

Sure. Just saying some people have relatively uncompromising visions that include body fascism. The chick stuff is even worse.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I will have to go downtown and check it out. Maybe I will try to do a mafoo-style expose. It just seems like Ford is doing this for money rather than art, so it would make sense that his stuff would fit normal people.

If you can wait a couple of days, I will take teh pics. And provide color commentary.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
If you can wait a couple of days, I will take teh pics. And provide color commentary.

Where were you when I tried Thom Browne?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm wearing Tom Ford cologne today and it fits me great.

Does it smell like money and sex sweat?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Where were you when I tried Thom Browne?

In New York, and you didn't call me. Now I am in CA.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think the stuff is that hard to wear. I haven't tried it, but have the urge to go down to my local NM and try the Ford stuff on. Not that I would buy, but I think the major problem with the suit in question is that the salesman and tailor were dishonest, and the customer was stupid. There is no reason for anybody to make a suit that 2% of the population can wear.

I guess I mean that TF probably would look best on someone who isn't small, has broad shoulders, and no real gut. You (and Vox) actually probably fit that description as well, so I'd be curious to see you wearing it. I don't think that 2% is accurate, but I do think a bunch of people on this forum who post pictures of themselves and wear similarly priced garments (i.e. mafoofan, manton, yachtie, etc.) would look bizarre in TF.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're assuming a 40R jacket is actually ~40 inches around the chest.

How? I'm talking about the pants measurements; I assume TF is a slim cut and probably has a 7 inch drop from jacket size to pant waist size in the RTW line. It didn't make sense to me that AB could have a 31 inch waist (which I seem to recall seeing posted at some point), buy a 40R jacket that was tailored for pants with a 7 inch drop (33), and still have to have the waist of that jacket let out.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK. Sounds good. My wife takes terrible photos anyway.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by set you free
I regret not waiting a day or two before dropping off the printouts. There is so much more.
I wonder if anyone from Tom Ford has decided to monitor the threads.

Please let us know what they tell you tomorrow. And apologize to the woman for my running out so fast - it felt a little weird.

And if the hot woman who served you coffee at Starbucks today is reading this, please send him your number.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Oh exactly, I don't doubt that TF is cut for an average, relatively in shape but nothing exceptional 40-50 y/o who thinks luxury is flying his secretary to Hawai.
What do you call luxury, bobo boy?

Are you matt's wingman?

Does it smell like money and sex sweat?
Coming from you, I don't need that mental image. Gawd.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Never heard of someone trying on attolini and disliking it. some have made the journey to see Ian at his warehouse of suits, but hope you'll at least go visit the new york Attolini location and give us your thoughts. I used to own a killer attolini in a navy blue pinstripe, and posted photos of it long ago but can't find them (I probably had a size too large for me, anyways). ended up selling it via Mr. Harris's services.

Think you might be able to get to the store to check them out and post your comments? Can anyone verify if this is 30 W. 57th street? My ipod says it is, but that don't make it true.

why get attolini rtw when i can get bespoke?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why get attolini rtw when i can get bespoke?

I feel the urge to take poison and shoot myself.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
And now, we take a serious turn.

It was a 52R, and by the way I measured the shoulders and they are the same size as a 48R Armani jacket. TF cuts their shoulders really damn narrow.

Those are the European, and not American, jacket sizes, correct?

50R Euro = 40R American.

This is confusing people.

I don't have a 31" waist, it is 35"

If we look at your photos...

img0069ya0.jpg

img0071ba8.jpg

...you look like a normal drop guy (6 inches), not a guy who is very broad shouldered and comparatively small hipped with a double digit drop. You look to me like a 40R or 42R American size with as you note a 35" waist. Healthy but not trained.

If I understand your posts correctly, you sought out Tom Ford because one of his silhouettes is built to exaggerate the shoulder to waist ratio. It's got nothing to do with intrinsic body type, which in your case is normal BMI.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads