• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you for pointing that out! Looks like should just stick to the 1880 line.

And I am eagering hoping to see you eventually having a pair of Loake 1880 Cornwall, as I reckon it will fit your narrow feet with high instep perfectly, haha. :happy:
sorry, but it would not help as the gap will be the same on the three eyelets, and I have owned Derbys with two end three eyelets to know this. Plus I do not really like the shape of a formal deby like that, but thanks for the suggestion. Here is another Loake for you, patent leather formal oxfords for Dinner suit times:

What a pity, what style is the above?

Yowzer

Reaction score
That would suit a black tie event, for sure.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a pity, what style is the above?
I do not think they have a name, on the box it just said "Patent Black", I think these are the only formal patent shoes Loake does and are under the Lifestyle range. They can be found at their store in London, but I bought them few years ago online at a discounted price (below £90) and to me represented a good deal for the purpose (two/three wears per year)

Last edited:

Yowzer

Reaction score
I do not think they have a name, on the box it just said "Patent Black", I think these are the only formal patent shoes Loake does and are under the Design range. They can be found at their store in London, but I bought them few years ago online at a discounted price (below £90) and to me represented a good deal for the purpose (two/three wears per year)

Is it this one? http://www.loake.co.uk/patent.html

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Demean

Reaction score
Loake Lincoln. Overall, a pretty good shoe. One thing that annoys me is the fact that the bottom edge of the sole wasn't sanded round, and so theres a bit that sticks out that gets insanely scuffed. You'll be able to see that in the last photo!

Yowzer

Reaction score
Nice shoes and photos. I sometimes wonder how you fellas take photos of your shoes. From the angle, it looked like someone crouched on the floor instead. Anyway,1880 Knightsbridge in action today. Not very artistic but good enough me thinks.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice shoes and photos. I sometimes wonder how you fellas take photos of your shoes. From the angle, it looked like someone crouched on the floor instead. Anyway,1880 Knightsbridge in action today. Not very artistic but good enough me thinks.
some good shine on those shoes!

Yowzer

Reaction score
Didn't realise the Arundel is quite square in the toe. If they were antiquated, it would be even better!
smile.gif

Re: Knightsbridge - thanks. The shine does look better in daylight. The result of nearly a year of learning the technique of water polishing. The creasing is pretty pronounced however. I suspect due to slightly too wide at the ball and my low instep.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WIth the creasing on the shoes, I have been thinking recently, is that why there is a toe cap on formal shoes?

Because with toe cap, it will eliminate the first crease nearest to the toe, and only creases on vamp which is between the cap and quarters on shoes.

I also find there is a bit too much creasing on my plain toe shoes.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re: Knightsbridge - thanks. The shine does look better in daylight. The result of nearly a year of learning the technique of water polishing. The creasing is pretty pronounced however. I suspect due to slightly too wide at the ball and my low instep.

My knightsbrige are also the worst creased shoes I own. I think there is something wrong with the way the last-and design work together (not). I have had other cap-less oxford and derby that have not creased this bad.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As promised, Mike Small sent me the article regards to the last sizes for all of the Loakes, and they reckon it's quite useful that they have also posted it on their news blog.

For the full article http://www.pediwear.co.uk/newsitem/60.php

I have below listed the lasts for Loake's 1880 range, direct quoted from Pediwear's Loake brand manager Stephen Bentley:

THE CAPITAL LAST – Loake’s most straight forward last. We find that the majority of customers find that their regular size is quite adequate in this last shape and is thought of as quite true to size for those with what is considered to be an average width foot. Some may find that there is just a tiny bit of extra width and length but this is minimal and not worthy of adjusting your size for unless you have particularly narrow feet.

THE MAYFAIR LAST - This last shape can be very tricky to calculate for, with extra width at its widest point and a touch more length in comparison to the Capital last, some customers may need to reduce their normal size to compensate. These extra dimensions are given to account for the more acute taper from widest point to toe giving it a modern, sleek look. If the Capital fits you well then you should be o.k. with the Mayfair but if you find that it has a tiny bit of room and your feet are on the slender side a half size reduction would be recommended.

THE DUKE LAST - Listed as an E fitting you may think that this shoe is very narrow, not so! The shoe is only a touch on the narrow side and unless you have a slightly wider than average foot we feel that continuing with your regular size would be ok. We haven’t had any returns from customers with size issues for this last so can see no reason to assume otherwise. In comparison with the Capital last there is minimal difference.

THE 024 LAST – Shoes built on the 024 last are typically country styled wear, this means that the last is built slightly on the generous side. Traditionally this extra space was to allow for the wearing of thicker socks to take up the extra space, as most customers now wear thin to medium socks the excess room should be taken into consideration. A more slender foot will need a reduction in size by a half; we think that this may also be necessary for an average width foot.

THE 025 LAST – Predominantly used for loafer style footwear this last shape is on the snug side and firmly believe that a half size increase is needed to achieve a good fit. We would not recommend this particular last for people who have wider than normal feet.

THE 026 LAST – The thing to note about this last is that it is built in two width fittings as such styles built in the F fit will NOT fit the same as the G fit which is very important to know. The 026 in the F fit is quite comparable to the Capital with maybe a fraction more space in the toe due to a more traditional style; however we do not think this will cause a problem to the standard foot and your usual size should suffice. The G fit is built with a few millimetres more width, because of this and the toe room will make the last feel about half a size bigger than the F.

THE PENNINE LAST – This is a G fit last with a large rounded toe so unless you have a wide foot or intend to wear thick hiking socks then a half size reduction is highly recommended. You will find that most country style footwear is stereotypically designed in this way whether an F or G fit width.

THE LOAFER LAST – Is similar to the 025 in shape but find there to be a little more space, long and slightly narrow you may find the last to be quite snug but bear in mind that loafer style footwear does stretch a little. Like the Mayfair last this one is a little tricky and we feel it is border-line to whether an increase in size would be needed. Our philosophy though is when in doubt go bigger.

THE SWING LAST – Called the Swing due to the extreme curvature of the last it does seem to have a fair bit of space within the shoe. This generous fit is to cater for the curve of the shoe and keep it in proportion. Average width customers would be advised to take a half size smaller and it may not suit people with an overly narrow foot. On the flip side of this, customers who purchase wide fitting shoes and would normally take a G fit in Loake (or equivalent) your normal size should be suitable.

Last edited:

Yowzer

Reaction score
Good stuff Wurger. That's very valuable information.

Only thing missing is the SWING last... FWIW, Andrew Cory, the Sales Director from Loake has advised me the SWING will fit the same as the CAPITAL, with slightly more volume around the foot. The toe box is slightly deeper and shoe about 3mm longer. He wears the same size in both

Edit: Bummer, it's on the news blog.. good comparison with photos

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads