• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 1880 Edward & I think the quality is excellent. I don't understand why Loake seem to have a poorer reputation than other brands but then I'm not a shoe connoisseur
smile.gif
Loake has a cheaper line made in India. The ones made in England seems to be top notch. When it comes to the "design Loake" line, they do not use cork in them, but "silicone" or something similar, and therefore feel like they have softer insoles. They are goodwelt though.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have probably the largest "neck" (I believe in English is called outer arch) out there, but the rest of my foot is quite slim. A wider fitting shoes will be to large in the heel and plant (mounds), making my foot dance in it, and sizing up will make me unconfortable as for too much room in the toes box . I actually like this Duke last (e fitting) better then my other 1880 shoes (f fitting) as it hugs my heel and plant better.

Bespoke is my only option really but currently I am spending my spare cash in other areas. Will surely invest in some in the future, most probably Italian Made.

EDIT: Also the main reason why I do not buy more expensive RTW shoes, have tried them all, same probelm with my outer arch...

Narrow width and high instep, that is an unlucky combination if you want to wear close lacing shoes. However, if the rest of the shoe feels right, then they are good and your pants will cover the gap most of the times.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have probably the largest "neck" (I believe in English is called outer arch) out there, but the rest of my foot is quite slim. A wider fitting shoes will be to large in the heel and plant (mounds), making my foot dance in it, and sizing up will make me unconfortable as for too much room in the toes box . I actually like this Duke last (e fitting) better then my other 1880 shoes (f fitting) as it hugs my heel and plant better.

Bespoke is my only option really but currently I am spending my spare cash in other areas. Will surely invest in some in the future, most probably Italian Made.

EDIT: Also the main reason why I do not buy more expensive RTW shoes, have tried them all, same probelm with my outer arch...

Fair enough. I think if you wear derby rather than oxford then it won’t be noticeable.

Yowzer

Reaction score
I love my black dress shoes, the only Loake black cap I have right now is the Ayr on 026 G last. So it has the most room in the toe box, but the insteps are feel similar to other English shoes I have.

From Left to right, Loake Ayr, Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, Tricker's Regent, Alfred Sargent Moore and Alfred Sargent Armfield.

Great looking line up wurger.. Didn't realise your Moore was black!

From a previous SF post, 1880 Knightsbridge
8a271864_8555103920_60d7b7e13a_b.jpeg

Very glad to see the Knightsbridge. My very first foray into the world of English shoes and still my best fitting pair. You must a very high instep marcodalondra[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]. I find the Loake heel is quite 'hard' and produces quite a distinctive loud and solid sound when walking. Anyone have the same feeling?[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]I presume a local cobbler would be able to replace the heel rubber quite easily? It appears to be notched into a second layer.[/FONT]

Yowzer

Reaction score
Enjoy the 15% permanent discount for Loakes from Pediwear! Going to need a new shoe storage area at this rate..

Edit: I find the Capital last has a very nice shape to it, with its slight chisel toe. Perfect for wide feet too. If they were to make the waist narrower like the AS, then it would be perfect.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Enjoy the 15% permanent discount for Loakes from Pediwear! Going to need a new shoe storage area at this rate.. 

Edit: I find the Capital last has a very nice shape to it, with its slight chisel toe. Perfect for wide feet too. If they were to make the waist narrower like the AS, then it would be perfect.

that is why we pay the double the price for AS, haha.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had mixed success with Loakes. The corrected grain shoes are very hard to maintain - any small mark is impossible to cover up.

My current Kew chestnut from the Shoemakers Comfort range are doing very well and in light of this brave thread I may seek out some more Loakes...

Mine three years on:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if the rest of the shoe feels right, then they are good and your pants will cover the gap most of the times.
this! The front of the trousers covers the top area of the laces where the gap is wider when I am standing or walking, and it looks fine.

I reckon the Loake Cornwall would be the perfect pair for you, narrow Duke last with open lacing, only 3 eye lacing makes the shoe extremely elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads