• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OzWino

Reaction score

Given loake have now restricted online retailers shipping to Aus, I will never by another pair again.

There's hardly a place in Melbourne, Aus that carries a half decent range, and now that they don't allow me to buy from my fav online retailers, they have forever lost me as a customer.

Same here. I really can't understand the business decision to do it. Thankfully there are plenty more options available on the interwebs.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of rain in this part of the world. Would it be wise to keep my Chester's as shoes to wear in it? Or those and sometimes my Burford's? I'm not talking about showers but about long, rainy days. Up to now, I have been using a pair of Doc Marten's as 'weather beaters'. I have quite a few pairs of shoes and I don't really want to wear the DM's right the way through the winter. Nor do I want to leave reasonably expensive shoes sitting in their rack, for months. Thus the question about wearing Chester's/Burfords.

Last edited:

enyn90

Reaction score
hey guys, Cheaney is current having a winter sale and Harrington Oxford is going for 175gbp, vs Loake Aldwych at 155gbp both after discount. which would you guys go for considering it's a Cheaney mid range vs Loake top range. Thanks!

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cheaneys are better than the Loakes, albeit not by much. I would go for the pair that fits the well and you like the looks of the best.

enyn90

Reaction score
The Cheaneys are better than the Loakes, albeit not by much. I would go for the pair that fits the well and you like the looks of the best.

not much information on Cheaney can be found online though, and there is no physical store nearby. for 25gbp more, would you move up to the Cheaney classic range offering vs Loake 1880 range?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not much information on Cheaney can be found online though, and there is no physical store nearby. for 25gbp more, would you move up to the Cheaney classic range offering vs Loake 1880 range?

I'd go for the cheaney for 25 more.

Odradek

Reaction score

We have a lot of rain in this part of the world. Would it be wise to keep my Chester's as shoes to wear in it? Or those and sometimes my Burford's? I'm not talking about showers but about long, rainy days. Up to now, I have been using a pair of Doc Marten's as 'weather beaters'.  I have quite a few pairs of shoes and I don't really want to wear the DM's right the way through the winter. Nor do I want to leave reasonably expensive shoes sitting in their rack, for months.  Thus the question about wearing Chester's/Burfords. 

Just kidding.

Since the Burfords have a Dainite sole, I'd certainly wear them. Not sure what sole the Chester have.
I have now built up a selection of three Dainite-soled boots which I've been wearing for the winter, along with a rubber soled pair of black AE shoes for very rainy days.
Just back from several days in County Kerry where it rained almost non-stop and I was fine in my Herring Gosforth and Herring Langdale boots.
Had Loake Hydes with me too, but didn't want to go walking on the rainy beach in them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_7adsnFzZA/

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just kidding.

Since the Burfords have a Dainite sole, I'd certainly wear them. Not sure what sole the Chester have.
I have now built up a selection of three Dainite-soled boots which I've been wearing for the winter, along with a rubber soled pair of black AE shoes for very rainy days.
Just back from several days in County Kerry where it rained almost non-stop and I was fine in my Herring Gosforth and Herring Langdale boots.
Had Loake Hydes with me too, but didn't want to go walking on the rainy beach in them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_7adsnFzZA/

Thanks for that, Odradek and a Happy New Year!

Put the car away, for when life fails,
What's the use of going to Wales?"

WH Auden (from memory)

Last edited:

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We have a lot of rain in this part of the world. Would it be wise to keep my Chester's as shoes to wear in it? Or those and sometimes my Burford's? I'm not talking about showers but about long, rainy days. Up to now, I have been using a pair of Doc Marten's as 'weather beaters'. I have quite a few pairs of shoes and I don't really want to wear the DM's right the way through the winter. Nor do I want to leave reasonably expensive shoes sitting in their rack, for months. Thus the question about wearing Chester's/Burfords.
Hi

Both the Chester and Burford are available with or without rubber Dainite soles, so the answer would very much depend on whether or not you have the Dainite version. If you do have the Dainite version there should be no problem with wearing them during wet weather. As ever, it is better to rotate shoes and this is never more important than when shoes get wet - let them dry out naturally before wearing them again.

There are no absolute reasons why you should not wear leather soles in wet weather - particularly if you are not doing a lot of walking. I frequently do (Halifax does rather a lot of wet weather - almost as much as Wales). The critical thing again is to ensure that the shoes, particularly the soles, dry out (naturally) before you wear them again. If you do not let them dry out the soles will become soft and wear out much more quickly.

Those Chester and Burford should not remain on your shoe rack for the whole of the winter!

I hope that helps.

Mike

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Both the Chester and Burford are available with or without rubber Dainite soles, so the answer would very much depend on whether or not you have the Dainite version. If you do have the Dainite version there should be no problem with wearing them during wet weather. As ever, it is better to rotate shoes and this is never more important than when shoes get wet - let them dry out naturally before wearing them again.

There are no absolute reasons why you should not wear leather soles in wet weather - particularly if you are not doing a lot of walking. I frequently do (Halifax does rather a lot of wet weather - almost as much as Wales). The critical thing again is to ensure that the shoes, particularly the soles, dry out (naturally) before you wear them again. If you do not let them dry out the soles will become soft and wear out much more quickly.

Those Chester and Burford should not remain on your shoe rack for the whole of the winter!

I hope that helps.

Mike

That's useful, thanks Mike. My Burford's have a Dainite sole and my Chester's, leather. I always wear shoes in rotation, so I will put these in a 'shorter' rotation, making sure that the Chester's have time to dry out properly. Thanks and best wishes, Munky

Carl1955

Reaction score
Beautiful shoes, Carl and a real bargain!
Thanks Munky, I'm collecting them from their Chester store in the morning, I'll post pics when I've got them, couldn't turn them down for that money, They had most sizes when I ordered mid morning but all sold out by early afternoon.

Regards

Carl.

PhileasFlash

Reaction score
Thanks Munky, I'm collecting them from their Chester store in the morning, I'll post pics when I've got them, couldn't turn them down for that money, They had most sizes when I ordered mid morning but all sold out by early afternoon.

Regards

Carl.
Great deal, thanks Carl. I saw this post yesterday while perusing on my lunch break and couldn't resist it either. I ordered the tan ones in a 10 (was really interested in the blue by by the time i dillied and dallied the 10s had sold out so I seized the tan ones. Can't wait to pick them up. I have some cheaper Loakes which look decent but are uncomfortable. I'm keen to check out the 1880s.
Phileas.

Carl1955

Reaction score
Great deal, thanks Carl. I saw this post yesterday while perusing on my lunch break and couldn't resist it either. I ordered the tan ones in a 10 (was really interested in the blue by by the time i dillied and dallied the 10s had sold out so I seized the tan ones. Can't wait to pick them up. I have some cheaper Loakes which look decent but are uncomfortable. I'm keen to check out the 1880s.
Phileas.
Hi PhileasFlash

Picked mine up today and I'm really impressed with the quality & colour a rich deep blue, a great buy with the 70% discount and the 1880 range

Carl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads