• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

little help from the noobs

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bought this book maybe 6 years ago or something, it's got fewer of the detailed step by steps (it's not a large book by any means) but has a ton of basic type stuff in it, I really liked it a lot for some reason. Recipes kinda run the gamut from lowbrow to some more interesting stuff, it's all Japanese Youshoku stuff so that can include a lot - it's got hamburg steaks of course, but also rillettes, some interesting gratins and stuff and it goes through a little bit on sauce making, etc. Little points on the corner of each page on basics, like tying a bouquet garni, homemade ketchup and stuff, little secrets for extending sauces, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/『ランチの女王』直伝-洋食レシピ-辻調理師専門学校/dp/4594036775

This one is fun too, 'Lee' is a famous series of home oriented books. This one has more step by steps for specific dishes, really stuffy looking plating that looks like stuff I ate in the 1980's, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/洋食バイブル-残したい...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312096020&sr=1-1

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

how to pick a peach (no dicksuck. god i love this book. learned so much about veggies)

Yes. Awesome book. And his other book, How to read a french fry.

I think we all know how to cook proteins, but whats difficult is trying to put together sauces and accoutrements with the proteins.

Hell to the no. Very few people know how to properly cook proteins. Even fewer know how to properly enjoy them.

Culinary Artistry had a big impact on me when I was teh newb, although compared to some here I still am teh newb.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've learned the most from the usual French sources, plus Deborah Madison and Alice Waters on vegetables.

I think that Simple to Spectacular, by Bittman and Vongerichten, is a good book for beginners; the recipes treat the same ingredient in ascending order of difficulty.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My love for Bittman is documented on SF and I'll say his stuff is good for beginners as it shows very basic ways to cook a bunch of stuff and the way he always says "put in more or less depending what you want" is kind of good because it keeps dudes from getting all worked up over getting ingredients exact.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Impolyt mentioned sauces. I'm still pretty deficient in this but can now make a couple mother sauces thanks mainly to this board. I think maybe the column could guide people into a deeper understanding of cooking and what differentiates Sunday meatloaf type cooks (not dissing meatloaf!) from a good home chef and pro chef. Thinking in terms of sauces is really one of those things and something I'm just coming to. So what I'm saying it leading folks into that next level.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Impolyt mentioned sauces. I'm still pretty deficient in this but can now make a couple mother sauces thanks mainly to this board. I think maybe the column could guide people into a deeper understanding of cooking and what differentiates Sunday meatloaf type cooks (not dissing meatloaf!) from a good home chef and pro chef. Thinking in terms of sauces is really one of those things and something I'm just coming to. So what I'm saying it leading folks into that next level.

This is a good idea, though it isn't an easy task. Still, I think food writers, in papers and books, misunderestimate :))) the fascination learning cooks have with sauces. Really, even though sauces no longer run through the mothers, they are still pretty systematic and once you learn the logic, you have pretty much cracked the whole code.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads