1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Levi's 501xx - have I got this right?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmatt, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

1: Go to Kohl's and buy 501xx jeans
    2: Add 2" to my normal waist and 3" to my normal inseam to allow for shrinkage
    3: Soak in cold water, then perhaps even wear them until dry to get them to shrink.
    4: Wear the daylights out of them for 6 months and don't wash them
    5: After I've beat them up for 6 months, wash once.
    6: Go back to step 4

Would the process be the same with Levi's vintage collection?

Thanks

2. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much the same process, but don't go to KOHLs to buy them. hahaha

Also, it doesn't have to be so regimented. If I was you I would buy the jeans so they are just a bit loose around the waist and about 3 inches longer than you would want in the length. Then do a warm soak. The jeans should feel tight, but after wearing them for long periods of time they will stretch out to be a decent fit.

Get the LVC 47s, way better investment. Also, if you do buy the 501stfs then don't ever wash them. They look pretty nice without being washed.

3. jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

Get the LVC 47s, way better investment. Also, if you do buy the 501stfs then don't ever wash them. They look pretty nice without being washed.
    The LVC's are also all sized to shrink, right? What are the best sources for the 47's in raw/unwashed shrink-to-fit style? (perhaps all 47's are stf?)

4. minya

minya Well-Known Member

all of the LVC 501s are shrink-to-fit. And they shrink far, far more than modern $30 Kohls STF denim.

American Rag in San Francisco and LA usually has decent stock of the '47s. They're rather hard to track down, it seems.

5. jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

all of the LVC 501s are shrink-to-fit. And they shrink far, far more than modern $30 Kohls STF denim.

American Rag in San Francisco and LA usually has decent stock of the '47s. They're rather hard to track down, it seems.

Thanks for that tip. How much do modern $25 stf's from Kohl's shrink? I'm thinking of buying a cheap pair for a trial run so-to-speak. From what I've seen, the vintage stuff shrinks 2" in the waist and 3" in the inseam. What numbers would you use for shrinkage on the cheap new stuff?

6. minya

minya Well-Known Member

yeah, 2" in the waist and 3" in the inseam sounds about right. Of course it varies .. I'd say 1.5"-2.5" in the waist and 2.5-4" in the length is more accurate.

the modern ones shrink less, for sure. probably about 1" - 1.5" in the waist and 2-3" in length.