• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen tile flooring

herzzreh

Reaction score
I'm an idiot when it comes to stuff like this...

What do I match tile in the kitchen to? Is it countertop? Cabinets? Walls? Just do whatever the hell I want to?

Lucky7

Reaction score
There are a few schools of thought on this topic. What kind of cabinets do you have? Oak, maple, cherry? Stain? Stain+Glaze? Painted + Glaze? Contrasting the cabinets can really make the cabinets stand out. Complimenting the countertop can tie everything together. What type of tile are you going with? Porcelain or natural stone?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't know, don't go too crazy. Stick with some combination of traditional basics and you probably can't go too wrong.

I'm planning on putting terra cotta tile, white cabinets and a dark grey (almost black) granite countertops.

herzzreh

Reaction score
They're stained. I'm leaning towards procelain... bit easier to maintain, IMO.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is best to match the style of the kitchen. So, if it iss rustic, you might have terra cotta. If it is a slick urban look it might be black and white. I would avoid bright white floors.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my case, it's a tough call. The house is an old house that has kind of a farmhouse feel but I want to make it modern. As a first go around at interior decorating I don't think it's that easy to do, but I'll try. I'm definitely not into the whole completely rustic, haystack bench look you see in architectural magazines. http://www.walkerzanger.com/catalog/ecatalog.php Here is a cool tile company I just found. Don't know how much they cost though. For the kitchen I was thinking of something like on page 330 but arranged in a grid, not offset. It has a pattern that kind of mimics slightly the wood that was there before. I also like the terra cotta on page 88 and 90 If you do white floor and stained cabinets, it will look like this:
williamsburg-kitchen-plain-english-4.jpg
I kind of want mine to look like this, but with some sort of tile instead of wood.
jweiss-kitchen-sf-showcase.jpg

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise going to a high-end tile store and asking for one of their designers to help you think through the options. There are so many cool ways to do tile, and so many options and profiles, you might find a solution you hadn't thought of that really satisfies you. Note that just because you work with a store's designer doesn't force you to buy tile from the store.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
In my case, it's a tough call. The house is an old house that has kind of a farmhouse feel but I want to make it modern. As a first go around at interior decorating I don't think it's that easy to do, but I'll try. I'm definitely not into the whole completely rustic, haystack bench look you see in architectural magazines.

http://www.walkerzanger.com/catalog/ecatalog.php Here is a cool tile company I just found. Don't know how much they cost though.

For the kitchen I was thinking of something like on page 330 but arranged in a grid, not offset. It has a pattern that kind of mimics slightly the wood that was there before.

I also like the terra cotta on page 88 and 90

If you do white floor and stained cabinets, it will look like this:

williamsburg-kitchen-plain-english-4.jpg

I kind of want mine to look like this, but with some sort of tile instead of wood.

jweiss-kitchen-sf-showcase.jpg

Walkerzanger is high end, high quality tile. If the terra cotta you are referring to is unsealed, I recommend sealing it several times before running your day to day activities on it. There are many terra cotta looks in porcelain that will be much easier to maintain.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
Walkerzanger is high end, high quality tile. If the terra cotta you are referring to is unsealed, I recommend sealing it several times before running your day to day activities on it. There are many terra cotta looks in porcelain that will be much easier to maintain.
Thanks, I'm going Tuesday to check out the showroom. I will ask what would be best for a kitchen. I also like the look of limestone but don't know anything about tile materials really.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Limestone is beautiful! Quality varies greatly in natural stone, so if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. Check your PM.

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I would advise going to a high-end tile store and asking for one of their designers to help you think through the options. There are so many cool ways to do tile, and so many options and profiles, you might find a solution you hadn't thought of that really satisfies you. Note that just because you work with a store's designer doesn't force you to buy tile from the store.

+1

My wife and I tried this for our master bathroom, and the designer provided great ideas, one of which we used. Although her store was not the cheapest, the price was competitive and we felt good about buying from her. One other bonus was that she provided a good list of installers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads