• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kamakura shirt fit help (pictures)

Krausewitz

Reaction score
Dear all,

Looking for some help. Got my first MTM shirt (from Kamakura) and not sure how it fits. It mostly feels ok, but a little tight in the waist/lower back (particularly if slumping down into a chair), and the shoulder feel a little tight as well, particularly if I reach forward.

Any (practical, non-snarky) advice? The price for Kamakura MTM make them really attractive, but it’s no good if the thing doesn’t fit in the end.

Also, the collar, when open, sort of flops up away from my body (they gently float up off my chest). I’ve never had this in a shirt (ranging from CT to T&A) and have no idea what to do about it. Advice?

Attachments

• C9D9A593-65ED-4533-BEA8-98BE657D997F.jpeg
    C9D9A593-65ED-4533-BEA8-98BE657D997F.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 91045215-377A-4E52-9198-9615272A42D4.jpeg
    91045215-377A-4E52-9198-9615272A42D4.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 698
  • 3B4933FF-AED4-42EA-8488-96B0CE7CACAF.jpeg
    3B4933FF-AED4-42EA-8488-96B0CE7CACAF.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 707

Krausewitz

Reaction score
Kamakura Shirt offers different fit options to accommodate various body types and preferences. The following are the three main fit options provided by Kamakura Shirt:

1. Tokyo Slim Fit: The Tokyo Slim Fit is designed for a modern, tailored look. It features a slimmer silhouette with a tapered waist and higher armholes. This fit is ideal for individuals who prefer a trimmer fit and a more contemporary style.
  2. New York Classic Fit: The New York Classic Fit offers a more relaxed and traditional fit. It provides a comfortable and roomier feel throughout the body while maintaining a clean and polished appearance. It is suitable for those who prefer a more classic, timeless fit.
  3. Milano Fine Fit: The Milano Fine Fit is a recent addition to Kamakura Shirt's collection. It falls between the Tokyo Slim Fit and New York Classic Fit, offering a tailored fit with slightly more room compared to the Tokyo Slim Fit. It provides a balanced option for those who desire a refined fit without being overly slim.
To determine the best fit for you, it's essential to consider your body type, personal preferences, and the style you want to achieve. Kamakura Shirt provides detailed sizing charts on their website, including measurements for each fit option. Take accurate measurements of your chest, waist, sleeve length, and neck to compare with the provided size guide. This will help you choose the most suitable fit for your body.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, I recommend reaching out to Kamakura Shirt's customer service directly. They can provide personalized advice and guidance to help you find the perfect fit based on your specific requirements.vvvv

Thanks, I think. This is a slightly odd post.

Anyway, I got measured in Tokyo, so I had the ‘personalised advice and guidance’. There’s always a gap between theory and practice, however.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall it looks pretty good. Do you have side pleats or anything like that on the back? That would give you a little more room when reaching forward. Otherwise I would ask them for their advice—could some material be added to the back only for your next order, for example.

You have a very low right shoulder; can they adjust for that on your next order?

Collar-not sure. Did you try pressing the collar so it might stay down better?

Finally, not sure about the tightness in the low back/waist. Can you be more specific about where you feel it—in the front or the back?

Krausewitz

Reaction score
Overall it looks pretty good. Do you have side pleats or anything like that on the back? That would give you a little more room when reaching forward. Otherwise I would ask them for their advice—could some material be added to the back only for your next order, for example.

You have a very low right shoulder; can they adjust for that on your next order?

Collar-not sure. Did you try pressing the collar so it might stay down better?

Finally, not sure about the tightness in the low back/waist. Can you be more specific about where you feel it—in the front or the back?

Thanks for this. The back has darts with lots of material on the inside (no pleats), so I could take the shirt out a bit if need be pretty easily. As I stand, or cycle, or walk the shirt feels great. If I slouch when sitting it gets tight along my lower back, on the sides. I also think the cuffs are a little too small (I also ordered a button cuff), which is the cause of the tightness in the shoulder when reaching forward.

I did try pressing and starching the collar. It's not terrible, but not ideal, either. Slightly better with metal collar stays thank plastic.

They can't do much for the shoulders, sadly....just width. Given the cost (10,000 - 15,000 Yen) I understand the limitations, and think it's pretty fair. The material here is Suvin Gold, I have another in American Sea Island cotton, so pretty decent material for the cost, I think (although I could be wrong...I'm new to the world of MTM).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members