• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What possessed you to buy them? Sale? They are hideous.
Hideous is a bit harsh(?) Weird yes. I liked the peccary leather and the color combo and probably had a few too many glasses of wine under my belt.
I guess I'm safe to assume you wouldn't be interested in buying them.
smile.gif

rexet

Reaction score

Rexet:

Many don't consider the 7000 last too pointy. The Towcester (pictured above) is on the 7000.

Yes, the 7000 last is perfect for the Towcester, I love them!

Rexet,

If that's the case then you should probably consider 'designing' your own shoes (a.k.a bespoke or semi bespoke)

One could almost say JL is to shoes like Rolex sub to watches :)

I will try that one day :) !

By the way, are you aware of fake John Lobb? I found some second hand ones (worn only 5/6 times) on a marketplace but the price seems to good to be true.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are definitely 'fake' Lobbs...

Also, I wouldn't consider Lobb Paris as the definitive shoe brand.

Now if you are talking about Lobb St. James' bespoke...

rexet

Reaction score
I don't consider Lobb as the ultimate shoe brand at all :)

What would be the easiest way to spot a fake pair of Lobb if I had the chance to have them in my hand? Is there any detail that would be to complicated or expensive to reproduce? I think I'm gonna meet the guy to see and touch the shoes.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, i wouldn't chance such a meeting if you already have your suspicions. Even if they are real, you also don't know what the original owner might have done to them, or if there is an issue that warrants the owner getting rid of them.

If you do however decide to proceed, having already handled real JLs, then you should notice a fake easily i would guess. In the quality of the leather & materials, the clean finishing & soles, and of course the shape of the last.

rexet

Reaction score
My suspicions are only based on the price asked: $480 for a Philip II only worn 5 or 6 times sounds like a steal.
I don't own any JL and the 30 min spent in their store are not enough to make me confident spotting a fake.
On the other hand I do own some quality shoes (Weston, Church's, Alden, etc.) and I hope it will help me to see a bad quality construction or leather.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, man .. Why would you want to buy a used pair of shoes? No matter how good the deal is .. I could never purchase the shoes someone wore and break before me .. Vehicle on the other hand, I would .. But not the shoes! Not the shoes!

rexet

Reaction score
This is funny because I just canceled my meeting with the guy few minutes before your message :)

1. After having done some research, fake JL exist and I don't want to take the risk
2. I know I would always had a weird feeling to wear someone else shoes that didn't mold perfectly to my feet
3. I can't get of my mind the fact that someone have sweated in my shoes

To conclude, I stay away from second hand shoes :)

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've bought several pairs of used shoes, they are some of the best deals I've ever done (at about 10% of RRP sometimes). You only need to know how to judge the shoes and the wear. And, more often than not, I always put the shoes through a very thorough cleaning and conditioning process that take several days, once I get them.

Some of the best and most comfortable shoes I own were actually used when I bought them.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need some feedback from the "Lobb lovers" I have a love-hate relationship with this rare and unique pair of Lobbs. Some days I really like them and other days ech! They are peccary leather (good), I like the color combo, not crazy about the bias cut toes and so-so on the ghillie lacing. So what do you think? keep or sell? [/URL]
sell

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FWIW, I've bought several pairs of used shoes, they are some of the best deals I've ever done (at about 10% of RRP sometimes). You only need to know how to judge the shoes and the wear. And, more often than not, I always put the shoes through a very thorough cleaning and conditioning process that take several days, once I get them.

Some of the best and most comfortable shoes I own were actually used when I bought them.

It's Russian Roulette.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's Russian Roulette.

True. But so far I'm still alive. :)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I need some feedback from the "Lobb lovers" I have a love-hate relationship with this rare and unique pair of Lobbs. Some days I really like them and other days ech! They are peccary leather (good), I like the color combo, not crazy about the bias cut toes and so-so on the ghillie lacing. So what do you think? keep or sell?
Sell...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads