• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Referenced:Ethical Question

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't give a reference to anyone unless they have spoken to me beforehand about it. It's a trick bag full of snakes that can bite you in many different ways if it's not discussed. I've told some friends/associates that asked me to give them a good reference that I could not do so in good faith. When asked why I would tell them. Did they like it? No. Did they appreciate the honesty? Yes. Still friends or associates? Yes. In any case a true friend tells it like it is. Lying for a friend is dishonesty in one of it's most insidious of forms and by doing so you dishonor your friend, your friendship and yourself.

And for all those that think it ends once you recommend someone you are dead wrong. All I can say is go around the block a few times and you'll know what I mean.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I won't give a reference to anyone unless they have spoken to me beforehand about it. It's a trick bag full of snakes that can bite you in many different ways if it's not discussed. I've told some friends/associates that asked me to give them a good reference that I could not do so in good faith. When asked why I would tell them. Did they like it? No. Did they appreciate the honesty? Yes. Still friends or associates? Yes. In any case a true friend tells it like it is. Lying for a friend is dishonesty in one of it's most insidious of forms and by doing so you dishonor your friend, your friendship and yourself. And for all those that think it ends once you recommend someone you are dead wrong. All I can say is go around the block a few times and you'll know what I mean.
I agree completely.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's

And for all those that think it ends once you recommend someone you are dead wrong. All I can say is go around the block a few times and you'll know what I mean.

It depends on the industry and the types of companies/jobs being applied for. If it's a large industry that someone is applying for a low to mid level position, it has little chance of coming back to bite you. Most likely the referral will be given to an HR person at some point and be forgotten in short order.

If it's a smaller industry or a more senior level position, you are right, it could come back and bite you.

I still think the answer is you speak well of them to what there is well to speak of. There has to be a few good qualities to this person or they wouldn't be your friend in the first place. If you are keeping friends with no good qualities, then maybe you need to take a step back and question why.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate, is writing a reference for a friend that highlights their strong points or spins things in a positive way and glosses over/ignores the negative different from highlighting your own strong points and glossing over the negative in a job interview? If you were being interviewed, would you say "I'm not always on time, I can be unreliable, I need pretty constant supervision to stay on task, etc."? I just wonder if highlighting the positive and underplaying or ignoring the negative in a recommendation for a friend to get a job is ethically any different than doing the same thing to get yourself a job.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
Just to play devil's advocate, is writing a reference for a friend that highlights their strong points or spins things in a positive way and glosses over/ignores the negative different from highlighting your own strong points and glossing over the negative in a job interview? If you were being interviewed, would you say "I'm not always on time, I can be unreliable, I need pretty constant supervision to stay on task, etc."? I just wonder if highlighting the positive and underplaying or ignoring the negative in a recommendation for a friend to get a job is ethically any different than doing the same thing to get yourself a job.

Yes, it's different. It's for the very reason the people aren't honest about themselves that potential employers ask for references. If everybody were honest, references would be completely unnecessary.

And before anybody chimes in and says "nobody gives bad references," they sure as hell do. Plenty.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to the shortcomings that the OP listed, the friend is also very lousy at picking friends.

And LOL at people who think their positive recommendation will have any consequences for them should the employment not pan out (except in a few very specific lines of work).

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Yes, it's different. It's for the very reason the people aren't honest about themselves that potential employers ask for references. If everybody were honest, references would be completely unnecessary.

And before anybody chimes in and says "nobody gives bad references," they sure as hell do. Plenty.

Does that make it ethically different though? One is lying for your own benefit, and one is lying for your friend's benefit.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does that make it ethically different though? One is lying for your own benefit, and one is lying for your friend's benefit.

I think you're right, there is no fundamental difference between the two.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would still say 'yes.' One does not necessarily expect a person to outline their own faults. However, if someone accepts the responsibility of being a reference (and it IS a responsibility), then I think most employers would hold them to the standard of honesty.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
In addition to the shortcomings that the OP listed, the friend is also very lousy at picking friends.

You're probably right. He should pick friends who share his own ethical shortcomings.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
This:
Originally Posted by cross22
And LOL at people who think their positive recommendation will have any consequences for them should the employment not pan out (except in a few very specific lines of work).
is very bad advice. It absolutely has consequences. Hell, I used to work for a firm in Singapore that had hired an MD that damn near put the business under. Revenues collapsed and everyone bailed on the firm. I was part of that bail.... The guy who introduced her to that firm and my former CEO and COO are barely on speaking terms to this day over it - and that's like 8 yrs ago. This is not uncommon at all. Be very very careful who you put your name to. I know a lot of people, some I would refer to roles, some I absolutely would not, and some I do so with a ****-ton of disclaimers first about the limits of my own knowledge of that person's professional acumen. Be very very careful who you put your name to.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
This:
is very bad advice.

It absolutely has consequences.

Hell, I used to work for a firm in Singapore that had hired an MD that damn near put the business under. Revenues collapsed and everyone bailed on the firm. I was part of that bail....

The guy who introduced her to that firm and my former CEO and COO are barely on speaking terms to this day over it - and that's like 8 yrs ago. This is not uncommon at all.

Be very very careful who you put your name to.

I know a lot of people, some I would refer to roles, some I absolutely would not, and some I do so with a ****-ton of disclaimers first about the limits of my own knowledge of that person's professional acumen.

Be very very careful who you put your name to.

Of course!!! That is a very different situation than when you give someone a vanilla recommendation as part of the hiring process. Also, this does not apply to a freaking MD or a CEO or the like, the context here is the guy giving a buddy a personal recommendation.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
she was his buddy. They studied Spanish together in Spain before moving back to Asia.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
she was his buddy. They studied Spanish together in Spain before moving back to Asia.

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads