1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Job Referenced:Ethical Question

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Rugger, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Not to mention your own name would be shit if you're in a related field.
    ^this

2. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

I won't give a reference to anyone unless they have spoken to me beforehand about it. It's a trick bag full of snakes that can bite you in many different ways if it's not discussed. I've told some friends/associates that asked me to give them a good reference that I could not do so in good faith. When asked why I would tell them. Did they like it? No. Did they appreciate the honesty? Yes. Still friends or associates? Yes. In any case a true friend tells it like it is. Lying for a friend is dishonesty in one of it's most insidious of forms and by doing so you dishonor your friend, your friendship and yourself.

And for all those that think it ends once you recommend someone you are dead wrong. All I can say is go around the block a few times and you'll know what I mean.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I won't give a reference to anyone unless they have spoken to me beforehand about it. It's a trick bag full of snakes that can bite you in many different ways if it's not discussed. I've told some friends/associates that asked me to give them a good reference that I could not do so in good faith. When asked why I would tell them. Did they like it? No. Did they appreciate the honesty? Yes. Still friends or associates? Yes. In any case a true friend tells it like it is. Lying for a friend is dishonesty in one of it's most insidious of forms and by doing so you dishonor your friend, your friendship and yourself. And for all those that think it ends once you recommend someone you are dead wrong. All I can say is go around the block a few times and you'll know what I mean.
    I agree completely.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

And for all those that think it ends once you recommend someone you are dead wrong. All I can say is go around the block a few times and you'll know what I mean.

It depends on the industry and the types of companies/jobs being applied for. If it's a large industry that someone is applying for a low to mid level position, it has little chance of coming back to bite you. Most likely the referral will be given to an HR person at some point and be forgotten in short order.

If it's a smaller industry or a more senior level position, you are right, it could come back and bite you.

I still think the answer is you speak well of them to what there is well to speak of. There has to be a few good qualities to this person or they wouldn't be your friend in the first place. If you are keeping friends with no good qualities, then maybe you need to take a step back and question why.

5. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate, is writing a reference for a friend that highlights their strong points or spins things in a positive way and glosses over/ignores the negative different from highlighting your own strong points and glossing over the negative in a job interview? If you were being interviewed, would you say "I'm not always on time, I can be unreliable, I need pretty constant supervision to stay on task, etc."? I just wonder if highlighting the positive and underplaying or ignoring the negative in a recommendation for a friend to get a job is ethically any different than doing the same thing to get yourself a job.

6. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate, is writing a reference for a friend that highlights their strong points or spins things in a positive way and glosses over/ignores the negative different from highlighting your own strong points and glossing over the negative in a job interview? If you were being interviewed, would you say "I'm not always on time, I can be unreliable, I need pretty constant supervision to stay on task, etc."? I just wonder if highlighting the positive and underplaying or ignoring the negative in a recommendation for a friend to get a job is ethically any different than doing the same thing to get yourself a job.

Yes, it's different. It's for the very reason the people aren't honest about themselves that potential employers ask for references. If everybody were honest, references would be completely unnecessary.

And before anybody chimes in and says "nobody gives bad references," they sure as hell do. Plenty.

7. cross22

cross22 Well-Known Member

In addition to the shortcomings that the OP listed, the friend is also very lousy at picking friends.

And LOL at people who think their positive recommendation will have any consequences for them should the employment not pan out (except in a few very specific lines of work).

8. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

Yes, it's different. It's for the very reason the people aren't honest about themselves that potential employers ask for references. If everybody were honest, references would be completely unnecessary.

And before anybody chimes in and says "nobody gives bad references," they sure as hell do. Plenty.

Does that make it ethically different though? One is lying for your own benefit, and one is lying for your friend's benefit.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Does that make it ethically different though? One is lying for your own benefit, and one is lying for your friend's benefit.

I think you're right, there is no fundamental difference between the two.

10. Teacher

I would still say 'yes.' One does not necessarily expect a person to outline their own faults. However, if someone accepts the responsibility of being a reference (and it IS a responsibility), then I think most employers would hold them to the standard of honesty.

11. Teacher

In addition to the shortcomings that the OP listed, the friend is also very lousy at picking friends.

You're probably right. He should pick friends who share his own ethical shortcomings.

1 person likes this.
  12. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

This:
    And LOL at people who think their positive recommendation will have any consequences for them should the employment not pan out (except in a few very specific lines of work).
    is very bad advice. It absolutely has consequences. Hell, I used to work for a firm in Singapore that had hired an MD that damn near put the business under. Revenues collapsed and everyone bailed on the firm. I was part of that bail.... The guy who introduced her to that firm and my former CEO and COO are barely on speaking terms to this day over it - and that's like 8 yrs ago. This is not uncommon at all. Be very very careful who you put your name to. I know a lot of people, some I would refer to roles, some I absolutely would not, and some I do so with a shit-ton of disclaimers first about the limits of my own knowledge of that person's professional acumen. Be very very careful who you put your name to.

13. cross22

This:
    is very bad advice.

It absolutely has consequences.

Hell, I used to work for a firm in Singapore that had hired an MD that damn near put the business under. Revenues collapsed and everyone bailed on the firm. I was part of that bail....

The guy who introduced her to that firm and my former CEO and COO are barely on speaking terms to this day over it - and that's like 8 yrs ago. This is not uncommon at all.

Be very very careful who you put your name to.

I know a lot of people, some I would refer to roles, some I absolutely would not, and some I do so with a shit-ton of disclaimers first about the limits of my own knowledge of that person's professional acumen.

Be very very careful who you put your name to.

Of course!!! That is a very different situation than when you give someone a vanilla recommendation as part of the hiring process. Also, this does not apply to a freaking MD or a CEO or the like, the context here is the guy giving a buddy a personal recommendation.

14. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

she was his buddy. They studied Spanish together in Spain before moving back to Asia.

15. cross22

she was his buddy. They studied Spanish together in Spain before moving back to Asia.

[​IMG]

16. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

I think in general people have to differentiate that friends and professionals are two different arenas in life. Your friends, however much you try, are simply people you work with. If you can separate that, you can easily separate Who to recommend on a professional basis.

17. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

did not read thread but OP is a dbag if he agreed to recommend someone and then gives a negative rec. even if not agreed beforehand this calls your character into question more than your friend

18. herzzreh

herzzreh Well-Known Member

There is a Russian belief not to involve friends and relatives into anything that involves money. I think this applied here.

19. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

did not read thread but OP is a dbag if he agreed to recommend someone and then gives a negative rec. even if not agreed beforehand this calls your character into question more than your friend

the way I read it, the OP didn't realise he was listed on the guy's CV as a reference til after. Is my comperhenssions wronglyed again?

20. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

the way I read it, the OP didn't realise he was listed on the guy's CV as a reference til after. Is my comperhenssions wronglyed again?

Nooooooo, you are right. I was unaware until skynet told me.