• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

dunelly

Reaction score
problem is their advertising of their "fit" is different from their actual clothing
pinned clothing on models = deceptive
their small collars and tiny shoulders stink, i havent tried the new slim fit stuff though

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have been kicking around in my (non-J. Crew) NBs for the past coupla days. I'm liking them. Good choice for fall.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, looks awesome though.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iwhelan
Has anyone tried the Plaid wool Langham jacket yet?

Any comment?

Looks a tad bit familiar if ya ask me...

1620.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Doesn't look anything like it.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Doesn't look anything like it.

You got me..

It for some reason made me think of that Cabourne shirt-jacket at first.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
anyone tried the university coat in the new slim-fit version? was added fairly recently apparently. i tried the standard fit small in-store and it was tent-like. it looked absolutely nothing like the online pics, safety pins or not.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ceekay
depends who's at the register. ive used it on 2 colabs..

as per all the other arguments:

jcrew is a lifestyle company. they market to a certain niche. another example would be Eddie Bauer (they also sell 3rd party items not as collabs) and opposite would be stores that just make clothes like gap. jcrew carries brands that fit the niche they are selling too, which is not "whoring them out to the masses" its just allowing you to get stuff you probably already want (since your in jcrew in the first place).. secondly, they start from the premise of being "classy" and understated. hence the earth tones, functional looks, and lack of logos (even Polo puts logos). the fit is just the same, its more modern but its not h&m trendy.. its more classic. if you want to stand out and be super trendy, then go buy clothes designed for that reason. i wear jcrew bc it DOESNT STAND OUT.. and thats where i think the success is. clothes based on functional designs similar to ll bean and RL, but more affordable and s bit more modern fit (good for small people like me)

Jcrew is trendy and trying to be a lifestyle company like RL. They pick up lesser known names that get a strong following and put them up online. Then they go out, make a similar product, so people seeing a Belstaff jacket for 600+ can compromise on the Jcrew brand jacket that has a similar style and/or description, which makes the customer think they're getting a great deal.

Notice how very few actual retail location carry all of those designer products, just mainly online and a few stores in NY or Boston. Not even stores in SF really carry them except a few Belstaff and Baracuda jackets because they basically know their customers aren't going to shell out the money on them, so it's not really giving the customer the stuff they already want, but more just building their brand through association.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
J. Crew doesn't "collaborate" in the agreed upon sense of the word. Two labels/brands collaborate when they each bring something to the table in terms of design, fabric, history, etc. J. Crew just finds niche brands and whores them out to the masses. What exactly does J. Crew bring to the table? Access to larger markets and corporate influence.

The quality issues folks had w/ Alden Indys for J. Crew are well-documented. Good for Alden for selling them their seconds at a good price.

Last, your claim that J.Crew has above-average quality for its price is false. My uniqlo wool sweaters are better made than J. Crew's Maybe, if there clothes ever went on sale they would be worth it at 30% off or more. However, their shirts at $60-$70 are a joke. Shopping around for sales and using Gilt can get you much more bang for your dollar.

Since when is uniqlo the average? Above average typically means for the industry price point. Which puts J. Crew there with BR and other similar price point lines. I am in no way saying they are competitive with Gitman or any other SF holy grail line but you must admit for the price point they are above average.

I could disagree with you on the fact that J. Crew does not collab but you seem to have your own idea as to what collaboration means so I won't go there...just more cock fighting.

This is all I'm going to say because this thread isn't for arguing about J. Crew but rather discussing them and whoever asked...yes I believe J. Crew is a good staple company. I wouldn't purchase the majority of their shoes or certain other items but I like their style and I think they do a good job of capturing Americana for the generation y.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like J. Crew.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Like? It's like love only milder.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
anyone tried the university coat in the new slim-fit version? was added fairly recently apparently. i tried the standard fit small in-store and it was tent-like. it looked absolutely nothing like the online pics, safety pins or not.

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

They don't offer the slim version in Medium Tall.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The J Crew collabs do much more for Timex, Belstaff, Red Wings,.... than they do J Crew.
As a long time vintage Timex collector(Only 5 years) I have noticed an almost doubling in prices of Timex watches. Anything that looks like a military watch will sell for $100+. There are currently 109Timex "Military" Watches on Ebay. I would very rarely see Timex watches on Nato strap. Today 1/2 of these watches are on a Nato or grosgrain strap.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
I assume there has been an increase of sales for new Timex watches too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics