• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

ranker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
What's your point? That you tried J. Crew shirts and don't like them and won't buy them again? Great. So... We're supposed to care because...?

Someone asked about what people thought of their shirts. I gave my reply. J Crew's fan boys questioned my experiences. I replied.

Here's a pro tip. Don't read my replies if it gets you butt hurt.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're a sweetheart!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been buying J. Crew shirts over a period of many, many seasons and have seen the fit change several times. Right now it is the best it has ever been, and for the first time I am not disillusioned with J. Crew. Like I said in the peacoat thread I could really give an eff less what everyone's opinion of it is. I think most of the offerings look great for a mass produced mall brand and, while the prices are higher than they should be, I always find myself coming back for more.

As far as khakis, shirts, sweaters, and outerwear go, it is pretty much a one stop shop for me and it is incredibly convenient not having to actually spend any effort shopping anymore.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ha ha. Yeah. My girlfriend makes fun of me sometimes. She'll compliment me on what I'm wearing and then make fun of me for wearing all J. Crew--even though her closet is full of J. Crew too.

About the only other places I shop are the occasional men's shop for accessories, like a hat, or vintage stores for unique items, and Sears for jeans and shoes, and sometimes a nice shoe store.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5'9" 160 lbs to me defines a size small in J Crew. Go with the S.

FWIW, I have purchased a few JC sweaters this season in size small. I am 5'8" 130-135lbs. They are swimming on me.

golfham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
5'9" 160 lbs to me defines a size small in J Crew. Go with the S.

FWIW, I have purchased a few JC sweaters this season in size small. I am 5'8" 130-135lbs. They are swimming on me.

Not quite. J Crew's small is very inconsistent in size. It is often too baggy, and the sleeves are too long (esp. with the chambray work shirts). XS works, but is a bit too tight sometimes. People are saying slim fit is good ****.

Newstyle

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't buy the NB shoes J. Crew is offering based solely on the price but I do like that shoe. I have always liked retro shoes. The thing about J. Crew that gets me is I love their colors for F/W. I can find similar pieces at lower prices but I can't find them in the colors that J. Crew offers which is what enticed me in the first place. Like with NB, yes you can find cheaper ones but not in the colors that J. Crew offers which really make the shoe pop. I guess i'll just have to keep buying J. Crew
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I like them. But they're way overpriced. I understand the main difference (from, say, the 373 model you can buy at Sears) is that they are all-suede (whereas the 373s have some mesh). But still, come on.
Allow me to chime in here on the New Balances. First off, anyone who pays $130 for these is out of their ******* mind. Period. If you're looking to spend that much money and want a retro look, go with the 993's which are chock full of cushioning. Now, the only differences between the JCrew models and ones you'd find at Sears or even the NB store are internal. The guts of the shoe. As the price increases you're likely to find more padding, stability accessories (pronation, supination, both), and fancy materials like mesh and cool looking (but worthless) zig zag shock ****. The suede found on these and the Sears models is likely to be identical.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a New Balance and overall sneaker collaboration whore, it's difficult not to buy the J Crew NB's but at $130 it really is too much. A shame too. I probably would have bought them for $100.

Cheese1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Being a New Balance and overall sneaker collaboration whore, it's difficult not to buy the J Crew NB's but at $130 it really is too much. A shame too. I probably would have bought them for $100.
Wouldn't student discount knock it down to ~$110? You've gotta know a college student whose discount you could use. (this is provided they do the 15% student discount I've heard about)

golfham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cheese1
Wouldn't student discount knock it down to ~$110? You've gotta know a college student whose discount you could use.

(this is provided they do the 15% student discount I've heard about)

I don't think that discount applies to collabs. I could be wrong though.

ceekay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by golfham
I don't think that discount applies to collabs. I could be wrong though.

depends who's at the register. ive used it on 2 colabs..

as per all the other arguments:

jcrew is a lifestyle company. they market to a certain niche. another example would be Eddie Bauer (they also sell 3rd party items not as collabs) and opposite would be stores that just make clothes like gap. jcrew carries brands that fit the niche they are selling too, which is not "whoring them out to the masses" its just allowing you to get stuff you probably already want (since your in jcrew in the first place).. secondly, they start from the premise of being "classy" and understated. hence the earth tones, functional looks, and lack of logos (even Polo puts logos). the fit is just the same, its more modern but its not h&m trendy.. its more classic. if you want to stand out and be super trendy, then go buy clothes designed for that reason. i wear jcrew bc it DOESNT STAND OUT.. and thats where i think the success is. clothes based on functional designs similar to ll bean and RL, but more affordable and s bit more modern fit (good for small people like me)

finally, everyone is hitting at the quality. i think this is one of the strong points of jcrew: they basically make the same things in different price/quality levels. i can go by a cashmere/cotton sweater made in china for 30 bux, or i can get one made in usa. and the prices are different. they do it with most of their stuff- a good idea if you ask me. yes jcrew may not be the most durable clothing in the world.. its not a utility brand like dickies.. but there is attention to detail and overall quality, not to mention they usually will take care of you if something goes wrong with a product. its very difficult for a brand to be successful with basic traditional clothing without reinventing themselves every season (e.g. the gap--last season they were marketing "black is baaack!!!"--- really) so you got to at least hand it to them for just doing what they do with a commitment to their principles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads