1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is it ever ok for men to tuck pants in boots?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rayalexsmith, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rayalexsmith

rayalexsmith Active Member

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

Post this same thread in SW&D and watch how different your replies are.

3. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

theres only 2 times that tucking your pants in your boots is acceptable...when youre working manual labor and it is required, or when youre a smelly hipster. Youre not a smelly hipster are you? No? then get your damn pants outta yer boots!!!!

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

theres only 2 times that tucking your pants in your boots is acceptable...when youre working manual labor and it is required, or when youre a smelly hipster. Youre not a smelly hipster are you? No? then get your damn pants outta yer boots!!!!

Obviously somebody responding who isn't in NYC today. I currently have my suit pants tucked in Hunter's because I had to walk a mile in a foot of snow.

5. epa

epa Well-Known Member

This year I actually bought a pair of fairly slim fitting windowpane wool pants at the local (Madrid) Salvatore Ferragamo boutique, and the Italian salesguy actually told me to tuck them into my boots, but immediately rectified to say that well, this advice might be OK for Italy but it might not be very vise to do so in Madrid, and that he thought that you might actually get hit if doing so.
    Very cowardly I have consistently chosen not to tuck them in.

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

yes, when it's snowy or muddy. In other words, anytime that you actually need to wear boots.

7. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Boot tucks are hard to pull off. Even in SW&D most people would advise against it.

8. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Hell no!!
    [​IMG]

Hell yes!!
    [​IMG]

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

No, absolutely not. Not once. Not ever.

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

yes, when it's snowy or muddy. In other words, anytime that you actually need to wear boots.

+1 I do it all the time.

11. Surly

Surly Member

As utility to avoid getting snow/dirt on them - yes.

As a style choice... I think not.

12. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Well-Known Member

Not in lace-up boots on a dry day as one poster pictured. Yes in Wellies when it is snowy. Yes also in Uggs or similar tall boots when it is snowy. Yes also in big, clunky black zip-up 12" galoshes when it is snowy. I speak with authority since the city I live in (Syracuse) has the record this year for snowfall in the county at about 113 inches (Bryan Williams said it so last night on the news) and unless you want wet, salt-stained pants, you have no choice. I keep about 3 pairs of dress shoes at the office and just make the switch. This climate will wreck your clothes as quickly as it destroys cars.

13. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

Obviously somebody responding who isn't in NYC today. I currently have my suit pants tucked in Hunter's because I had to walk a mile in a foot of snow.

ah touche patrick...touche....that IMHO would fall under the "necessary while working" catagory I mentioned...perfectly acceptable. Im assuming you untuck when you get indoors though.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

ah touche patrick...touche....that IMHO would fall under the "necessary while working" catagory I mentioned...perfectly acceptable. Im assuming you untuck when you get indoors though.

I used to bring shoes to work to change into, but I reserve the right to leave my pants be in my Hunters since I look better than 99% of the people at my company on any given day. I love when it snows because the men think it is a good excuse to wear their mom jeans to the office...

15. gort

gort Well-Known Member

I used to bring shoes to work to change into, but I reserve the right to leave my pants be in my Hunters since I look better than 99% of the people at my company on any given day. I love when it snows because the men think it is a good excuse to wear their mom jeans to the office...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

If it will save my pants (especially dress or suit pants) in bad weather, I will do it whether anyone approves of it or not.
    A lot of fashion was borne out of necessity so don't be arfraid to be practical.

17. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

If you're 6'4" and about 140 pounds then maybe you can pull it off.

18. greyinla

greyinla Well-Known Member

19. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

If it will save my pants (especially dress or suit pants) in bad weather, I will do it whether anyone approves of it or not.
    A lot of fashion was borne out of necessity so don't be arfraid to be practical.

Absolutely!

I live in Monreal and winter is foul and down right disgusting on pants yet I walk more than 4 miles a day in that crap. My boots are too short to tuck but I wear pant protectors like you see bicycle messengers wear. These go up to my knees and completely protects my pants. They are not fool proof though if you step in deep slush, so my next footwear commision will be boots with a shank that go up to my knees. These will be like a trench boot and will be for the struct purpose of tucking my pants in winter - always.

20. dasai

dasai Well-Known Member

This used to be the done thing for menswear, until trousers stopped being form fitting and men stopped wearing riding boots with their good clothes. They even came with stirrups to go over the feet so they wouldn't ride up.

Nowadays, it's purely for practicality.