• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing Sizeadvisor.com: Find shoes that fit

Claus

Reaction score
Hi, everybody!

I'm looking for some help. You may know that it's a bit of a problem buying shoes when you had no chance to try them on, first.

I'm in the situation rather often -- for example, there are no so many shops where you can get Allen Edmonds here in Germany --, so I tried to find a solution. Here's what I came up with...

It's a website called Sizeadvisor.com and it's supposed to help shoe buyers find the right shoe size (or a shoe made on a good fitting last). Here's a small peek how it's going to work:

First, a user will have to take the measurements of his feet (both of them). This looks roughly like this:

step1.png

Second, the user's feet measurements will be compared to the feet measurements of other members. Together with a fit rating of shoes -- I'll describe this in a second -- an estimate is calculated that indicates what shoes (ie. what lasts including size and width) are most likely to fit. This looks roughly like this:

step2.png

Third, a user should add the shoes he already owns (or had already tried) and rate their fit. These ratings are used to calculate the fit for other members, depending on their respective foot measurements. This looks roughly like this:

step3b.png

It may be a bit intimidating, at first, but I think I'll be able to decrease the number of fields.

The technology behind the method is similar to Amazon's 'People who bought this also bought...' I've already tested it with some artificial data. It works, basically. With real data and some optimizations, the system should perform quite well.

I've also presented the idea to a German shoe and style forum where I'm an active member and the initial reactions were rather positive.

When the site runs as expected, there are some advantages to current methods:

• Convenient: No more need to search Styleforum or other message boards for fitting information. It's all in one place.
  • Available: The interface is specifically designed to find fitting information. It's not covered in hundreds of other threads and there's no risk others may overlook your question (or your previous answers).
  • Anonymous: No need to post lists of your shoes in public places for everybody to see. You just need a valid and working email address to register, which can be one of those many free ones. Unless the site gets hacked, all your information will be safe and hidden.
  • International: There's going to be translations, provided a sufficient number of people like the service. Thus, you'll get better information about foreign shoe brands and sizing systems.

Of course, this is what it should become one day. Today, the software is in alpha status -- that means, it's not completely functional yet. There are bugs and the estimation procedure needs a fine tune.

To find bugs and get some initial real data, I'm now looking for testers. It would be awesome if some of you guys could help me get this started!

And if you're around US 8.5 / UK 7.5 / EU 41.5 that would be really amazing!
smile.gif

Of course, any feedback is welcome. If you have questions, please just ask.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the idea and the potential. some people will tell you need to try the shoe on, and of course that's ideal, but not always possible.

I am a US 8.5 or 9 and am happy to help. want to send me some samples to try?
smile.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Neat

Claus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
want to send me some samples to try?
smile.gif

He, he!
laugh.gif

Sorry, no samples.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Neat idea.

You mention that the memberships are free, but does that mean you are going to charge in the future?

I think it would make more sense to make your money from ads than from users.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ yeah, never limit the number of users (paid membership) since the heart of what you do depends on having many of them...

sounds cool, I'll check it out

Claus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Neat idea.

You mention that the memberships are free, but does that mean you are going to charge in the future?.

Thanks!
smile.gif

To be honest, the probability that I need to charge money one day is really, really low. I would prefer not to. But in the end, it depends on the costs and whether advertising can cover it. Thus, the rather tentative formulation.

Btw, I *love* your products.
inlove.gif
My "stuff-I-want" list has serveral items.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coltboy75

Reaction score
I like the idea. You could reach out to the shoemakers and sell them add space on your site with hotlinks to their website. If they have a certain last or style that is on sale or clearance, this would be a great way to sell that shoe.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea! I think you should also have a step by step measuring process as well for some people who are less comfortable with the full schematics.

Claus

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind reactions!
smile.gif

Of course, size recommendations will be rather odd in the beginning, due to the low number of members. This will improve over time, the more people participate (theoretically, at least).

A measurement guide is on the TODO list.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a great idea. i am a US 8.5 and would be happy to help out.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea. Funny the same thing has been suggested as a simple post and the universal response was "feet and shoes vary too much."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads