• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inside the Boeing Factory

Syl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
The level of responsibility the assemblers have must be very high. It's like assembling multiple spacecraft, really. One loose wire and you kill a lot of people.

There's a bit of redundancy to make sure that doesn't happen.

Sadly, with aerospace stuff, there actually hasn't been that much new stuff in a few decades. Few people have mentioned the SR-71. Heck, it still holds records from 30 odd years ago. Unfortunately there's been very little work to make modern aircrafts faster. Nowadays it's all about fuel efficiency i.e. lower drag, lighter materials, better control surfaces etc.
Heck, there's more search on making planes quieter than making them faster.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the approach but the 70s was really the heyday of aerospace. We need another good cold war to get moving again.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
There's a bit of redundancy to make sure that doesn't happen. Sadly, with aerospace stuff, there actually hasn't been that much new stuff in a few decades. Few people have mentioned the SR-71. Heck, it still holds records from 30 odd years ago. Unfortunately there's been very little work to make modern aircrafts faster. Nowadays it's all about fuel efficiency i.e. lower drag, lighter materials, better control surfaces etc. Heck, there's more search on making planes quieter than making them faster. Not saying there's anything wrong with the approach but the 70s was really the heyday of aerospace. We need another good cold war to get moving again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramjet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramjet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-51A_Waverider

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by .George
Well, its not just a matter of scaling things up. If only it were that simple.
George, I'm recalling that you aren't old enough to remember slide rules -- other than, say, the bezel of a Breitling watch -- and punch cards ... am I right?

Back when I took structures -- and lived in the town of Bedrock -- there were no sophisticated calculators -- well, not one that was affordable and/or portable -- and it was the slide rule or nothing. Then came the TI SR-50 and everything changed. Goodbye slide rule.

Okay ... back to Boeing. I get to drive by that field quite often.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
George, I'm recalling that you aren't old enough to remember slide rules -- other than, say, the bezel of a Breitling watch -- and punch cards ... am I right?

Back when I took structures -- and lived in the town of Bedrock -- there were no sophisticated calculators -- well, not one that was affordable and/or portable -- and it was the slide rule or nothing. Then came the TI SR-50 and everything changed. Goodbye slide rule.

Okay ... back to Boeing. I get to drive by that field quite often.

Curta baby!

curta2.jpg

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
There is a (I believe) PBS documentary about the latest joint strike fighter where the US gov gives Boeing and Lockheed 1bn apiece to build 2 aircraft. very fascinating documentary. Shows you how complex building an aircraft from scratch is.
I believe you're referring to the Nova special, and it's available on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/23356/nova...f-the-x-planes PBS also has a mini-site for it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/xplanes/ I remembered feeling kind of sorry for the Boeing guys when they kept finding voids inside their CFRP wing: apparently the entire bottom of their prototype aircraft was CFRP, and the wing was an integral part of that structure.
Originally Posted by Syl
Sadly, with aerospace stuff, there actually hasn't been that much new stuff in a few decades.
I disagree. Stealth is a huge advance, and computer-controlled planes (ie. planes which have computers to help them fly) are also a really big advance. --Andre

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The complexity of today's planes or many other non-trivial constructions is mind-boggling but also somewhat depressing.
In the 40s Germany managed to develop and mass-produce the world's first operational fighter-jet in just a few years... and there was a war going on at that time, too! (now, that's a good motivation, but it also drains a lot of resources)
Not to mention the dozens of other German designs that were domestically developed and produced around the same time.

Nowadays, they have to get together with the Brits, the Italians, and the Spaniards to build just the Eurofighter, and it still went over budget and over time, and they could barely afford it when it was ready.
It seems the speed of progress in the physical world is following a logarithmic trajectory.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I believe you're referring to the Nova special, and it's available on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/23356/nova...f-the-x-planes

PBS also has a mini-site for it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/xplanes/

I remembered feeling kind of sorry for the Boeing guys when they kept finding voids inside their CFRP wing: apparently the entire bottom of their prototype aircraft was CFRP, and the wing was an integral part of that structure.

I disagree. Stealth is a huge advance, and computer-controlled planes (ie. planes which have computers to help them fly) are also a really big advance.

--Andre

Yeah that's the documentary. What sucks is that Boeing pretty much met all the requirements the gov wanted and essentially made a safer, cheaper design. The F35 just looked too badass for them to pick the Boeing, which resembled a guppy.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
Yeah that's the documentary. What sucks is that Boeing pretty much met all the requirements the gov wanted and essentially made a safer, cheaper design. The F35 just looked too badass for them to pick the Boeing, which resembled a guppy.

Given the massive cost blowouts and delivery delays (years behind schedule), they're probably regretting going with the F-35 now...

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

laugh.gif

Will he live a normal life?
No, he'll be an engineer.

great way to start the morning.

Originally Posted by RSS

wth is this? LOL I supposed I just got rick rolled.
ffffuuuu.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People should check out the documentary about the design competition for the F-35. Pretty cool stuff.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
People should check out the documentary about the design competition for the F-35. Pretty cool stuff.

Didn't read the thread huh?

Coburn

Reaction score
Redwood just alerted me to this thread.

I've worked in that factory off and on for the last 4 years on the 787.

In the upper left hand corner of slide 3 you will see a lighted area with I beams crossing diagonally across the open space. My desk is about 20 feet back from there.

Earlier this winter I worked on the 747-8 pictured in slides 9 and 10.

BTW, that massive blue and yellow fixture you see surrounding the empennage in slide 3 is called the "MOAT" tool.

I kid you not, MOAT = Mother of All Tools.

Coburn

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads