• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this thread, we discuss, praise, critique, and ridicule the 2024 Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony uniforms

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Styleforum Events - Alfargos
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren is going full preppy, a piped navy blazer over a blue and white striped shirt and faded jeans. It's fine. Sorta the thing that was big in the 80s before grunge came along. A pretty straight take, as is usually the case for this type of stuff:
061824_Olympics.jpg

Closing ceremonies uniforms give F1 vibes.

On the other hand, I don't what France is doing. The Berluti designer is a menswear designer, does not watch the Olympics, and does not "do sport", and it shows. The jackets have lapels with a degrade tricolor flag and a matching pocket square. The women have no sleeves. At all. Not on the shirts, and not on the jackets. Gives very "going to get voted off off Project Runway"

ih4fepjow6dcppgghgbn

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren is going full preppy, a piped navy blazer over a blue and white striped shirt and faded jeans. It's fine. Sorta the thing that was big in the 80s before grunge came along. A pretty straight take, as is usually the case for this type of stuff:
061824_Olympics.jpg

On the other hand, I don't what France is doing. The Berluti designer is a menswear designer, does not watch the Olympics, and does not "do sport", and it shows. The jackets have lapels with a degrade tricolor flag and a matching pocket square. The women have no sleeves. At all. Not on the shirts, and not on the jackets. Gives very "going to get voted off off Project Runway"

ih4fepjow6dcppgghgbn
All I wanna know, is what event did J.B. Smoove qualify for.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I wanna know, is what event did J.B. Smoove qualify for.
Unless someone has\ the specific bodytype of a shotputter or powerlifter, I always assume that they aren't in some track and field event with a lot of competitors and lots of heats. Let's say the 400m.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
061824_Olympics.jpg

ih4fepjow6dcppgghgbn
Berluti is a luxury shoe designer, they used to be known for their horrid pointed shoes that cost a fortune, perfect if you have bad taste. I didn’t even know they were also doing clothing now. BTW it’s originally an Italian family as far as I know.

Tbh the American uniform isn’t better than the French one. Both are ugly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Berluti is a luxury shoe designer, they used to be known for their horrid pointed shoes that cost a fortune, perfect if you have bad taste. I didn’t even know they were also doing clothing now. BTW it’s originally an Italian family as far as I know.

Tbh the American uniform isn’t better than the French one. Both are ugly.
C’mon, the American one is… fine? A bit boring, but it’s very identifiably American and doesn’t look terrible. The French one for men looks like a novelty tux, and the sleeveless ones for women just looks like a parody of Roadhouse set in a bank.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
C’mon, the American one is… fine? A bit boring, but it’s very identifiably American and doesn’t look terrible. The French one for men looks like a novelty tux, and the sleeveless ones for women just looks like a parody of Roadhouse set in a bank.
I don’t really mind the sleeveless uniform for women (as long as they have nice arms:)).
Well the American one is boring indeed and I have the impression it is always the same?
Now Berluti definitely not my cup of tea either!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t really mind the sleeveless uniform for women (as long as they have nice arms:)).
Well the American is boring indeed and I have the impression it is always the same?
Now Berluti definitely not my cup of tea either!
Ralph Lauren is going to Ralph Lauren, right?

A mean, sure, nice arms are nice arms. Maybe the French should just do sleeveless denim, an homage to “le Bruce” (Springsteen). Just seems strange given the French tradition of stylish athletes. Why not do an homage to René Lacoste, for example. Just his archival footage alone is more than enough.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

A mean, sure, nice arms are nice arms. Maybe the French should just do sleeveless denim, an homage to “le Bruce” (Springsteen). Just seems strange given the French tradition of stylish athletes. Why not do an homage to René Lacoste, for example. Just his archival footage alone is more than enough.
Yes and Ralph Lauren is boring, BTW seen a recent picture of him wearing tuxedo jacket and faded denim, didn’t look right, especially at his age.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

An homage to Lacoste is complicated I suppose as his name is synonymous to a big brand now and not the one that was chosen ?
And I don’t see why we should pay an homage to Springsteen, he isn’t that popular here if you compare him to the Stones for example ?

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I like the rowing blazer (lower case) style of the jackets. The large Polo logo is silly and so Ralph's Outlet Store. I'm meh on the jeans-- an odd jacket with jeans is okay, but add a tie and it's always looked like play acting to me, like a hippie reporter for Rolling Stone pretending he's dressing up--in 1972.

2 out of 5 stars.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Here you have a preview : Japan : ASICS, but soccer team Adidas X Yamamoto Yohji; Spain: Uniqlo, Korea:TNF, France: Berluti & Le coq Sportif, England : Ben Sherman, Canada : Lululemon, Germany : Adidas, etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolev