• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, what's your gut feeling on linen trousers?

edmorel, I think you've got something there. I have an idea of where you're going, but if you took the time to put down your thoughts, I know I'd appreciate it.

Once again this isn't CM kosher or anything but, to me, linen is for ultra-summery colourful sportscoats that I like seeing with white slacks or jeans, a blueish tinted shirt with a few buttons undone and tan or suede shoes or something like that. I guess I can even see loafers with such an outfit (not on me). Cotton reminds me of colonials and I can def see it on a tan or beige suit.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
Yawn. If you disagree with the premiss, then my suggestion to you is not to post in the thread.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yawn Yawn back atcha.

Should the premise of a thread not be up for discussion?

And by disputing it, I'm also making an implicit point. People can be very well dressed with a much smaller wardrobe than what Manton has suggested.

He an others may aspire to those larger constructions, and they should feel free, but others may aspire to more austere but potentially equally effective solutions.

Threads are for discussion, aren't they? Sorry for going after a white elephant...

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think he's talking about cotton trousers cut like dress trousers.

I was under the impression these were frowned upon. My chinos are not cut like dress pants. They have a slightly lower rise and no crease. I do own a pair with a crease, but I don't wear them as I feel they are very strange, sort of like a sartorial abomination. Maybe I should get these out and try them again.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Manton: You need XYZ things to be well dressed

Me: On any given day, from a subset of those things (or others), you could be well dressed. You do not need them all.

Conclusion: The premise is false.

This is a list of Manton's essentials, but it does not reflect whether you are well dressed. It only reflects the on size & diversity of your armory. Just think the thread & concept are mistitled.

Should the premise of a thread not be up for discussion?

And by disputing it, I'm also making an implicit point. People can be very well dressed with a much smaller wardrobe than what Manton has suggested.

You can dispute the premise of the thread if you want, although that's an even bigger waste of time than most of the posts on SF.

But either your logic is terrible, or you don't understand Manton's project. This is a list of what you need to be a well-dressed person always, not well-dressed on a given day. Clearly if it were the latter, and the day were one where you were having a job interview, the navy suit, white shirt, neat tie, and black stitch caps are all you need.

But that's not what this is. This is what you need to be well-dressed in EVERY situation that allows for tailored clothing that you might face (for example, note that the black tie rig is necessary only for those that face this situation, and the list is flexible depending on your climate). The fact that you can be well dressed today without that full wardrobe, when it is March and you are where you are and doing what you're doing, is almost completely irrelevant.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but what I meant to convey was that you could be well dressed for any situation with less than he had described. ...for the record.

(to post 515)

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression these were frowned upon. My chinos are not cut like dress pants. They have a slightly lower rise and no crease. I do own a pair with a crease, but I don't wear them as I feel they are very strange, sort of like a sartorial abomination. Maybe I should get these out and try them again.
Could well be, don't pay much attention to what I say. However, I believe chinos work better with a tie if cut like dress pants (but with a lower rise and no pleats, please
tongue.gif
).

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I understand what you're saying, but what I meant to convey was that you could be well dressed for any situation with less than he had described. ...for the record.

(to post 515)

Then create your own alternative list or delete items from Manton's. Then we can argue with you about what you would wear on X occasion if you don't have Y item. That's what the whole thread is about. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Jkhan82

Reaction score
I must really need help...I don't even know what BC or BD shirts? lolol

Can someone solve my ignorance, Google is not helping....

gegarrenton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yawn. If you disagree with the premiss, then my suggestion to you is not to post in the thread.

That's kind of asinine. You propose every thread is just a bunch of people nodding along with each other? Seems like not much discussion there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads