• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, it's not based on my personal opinion. It's maybe 25% personal opinion, 50% experience, and 25% observation and study. These are the things that basically every well dressed person has and has always had for the last 80 years. they are also the things that can take you through virtually any event or circumstance where you have to "dress up" (something more than chinos a a polo), without needing anything not on the list.

There's one item in your list Manton...-"at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket" ...what's that about? and where would I get one?

Where I am, people who wear suits, work in banks. Can't even buy a good suit here, well anything that I'd want to wear...let alone SF approved.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Judging by the number of posters, loafers are the item most often unloved. If I had to choose something I would wear most often I would replace it with a split-toe or chelsea.

You would wear a chelsea boot in the summer? I think the point of the loafer, like Manton said above is its versatility through the seasons.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Threadbearer, I said somewhere that I like Polo RL RTW pants. I have some old ones that I still wear though I have not bought new ones in ages. Just get some khakis in cotton twill or brushed cotton or moleskin, but tailored, like odd trousers. That way they can take a tie if necessary but go fine without a tie. Wool khakis to me is an oxymoron, I mean fine as part of a suit but I have never worn tan wool pants seperately.

Mike: I mean some non-solid tweed with character: a gun club, herringbone, PoW, Russel plaid, donegal, something like that.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, two minds on this one. Yes, I suppose that any fair definition of well dressed shoud include that. However, there are a lot of guys who could use every single thing on my list but who never, ever have call to wear black tie. So I don't know ...

I was invited to a nice little gathering that required black tie this year, but I couldn't go because I didn't have a tux. There wasn't enough time for me to commission one at the time. :( I should just do it so I am not SOL next time...

Pls invite me so I can wear my tux again. Thx.
there was an event a few months ago that was black tie, but I was in France. Oh darn.

There are many black tie events in NYC, even some geared towards young people. There is a Young Patrons of Lincoln Center gala in October. Other arts organizations like the ABT have junior priced tickets to their Galas. Depends on whether you want to spend the $$$.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What's the best alternative to a loafer, for those of us who just can't wear them, A plain toe derby? All I know is that it's not a chelsea!

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine does swing dancing recreationally. He is a member here and he is looking to get a tux because they put on these black tie performances. Sounds fun if you ask me, however I would sweat like crazy if I had to dance in a suit. Don't know how Astaire did it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

My go to loafer is an unlined Alden for BB norwegian style in #8 shell, a super American shoe. But if you want one more formal, there are several classics in the EG catalogue. I also think Lobb Lopez is fantastic, which I have in tan and wear for the summer. My one other loafer is EG Buckingham in mink suede, for fall/winter. If I could have only one, it would be the Alden, hands down.

the Alden for BB is an awesome shoe. I have the C&J for RL Marlow cordovan loafers, and while they're great and all, I prefer the BB.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

There are many black tie events in NYC, even some geared towards young people. There is a Young Patrons of Lincoln Center gala in October. Other arts organizations like the ABT have junior priced tickets to their Galas. Depends on whether you want to spend the $$$.

I am not concerned about ticket $$$.

I am concerned about the other half deciding that she needs a complete new set of jewelry for each event.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, what do we replace it with, then? The black oxford is not negotiable. Since I have three shoes on the list, that leaves two slots. Or if you can think of One Shoe that does everything the black osxford does not, i am all ears. Brown bluchers are the closest thing I guess. The thing is, those are versatile, but not essential IMO. I still think the loafer, which goes from summer to winter and with tie to without tie, is a staple shoe.

Brown captoe double monks fill in the loafer slot for me. Loafers just don't fit me well at all - I prefer the extra support added by the monkstrap. The brown double monks are my shoes of choice when travelling because they are easy for airport security and pairs with jeans to sport coats to suits.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am not concerned about ticket $$$.
I am concerned about the other half deciding that she needs a complete new set of jewelry for each event.

Brown captoe double monks fill in the loafer slot for me. Loafers just don't fit me well at all - I prefer the extra support added by the monkstrap. The brown double monks are my shoes of choice when travelling because they are easy for airport security and pairs with jeans to sport coats to suits.

Really? Interesting. But then again I do wear double monks and not loafers...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Or worse, skin care products...

oh god, don't even remind me. She loaded up on stuff for the wedding, and the price of it all I'm nearly certain could pay for a quaint wedding and reception for another couple.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know this will make me look even worse than i already do around here, but can someone hook me up with a link to these alden for BB shell loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads