• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twitter filed their S-1 recently...get ready for another jump in housing prices.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amigos:

I've been in town for awhile on business and, based on recommendations from many SF'ers (some of whom I met at the Proper Suit meet up), I've had some pretty phenomenal dining experiences while in the Bay Area.

Tonight is my last night in town, and I'm curious to know where you might recommend I dine, having previously eaten at the likes of Spruce, Evvia, Kiss Seafood, Gary Danko, Quince, La Folie, etc. I'm equal opportunity when it comes to dining, so "high end" isn't necessary (the previous list is just illustrative, I've eaten at plenty of other phenomenal restaurants here with a less caché).

Any thoughts are appreciated, also bearing in mind that it's just me, so dining at the bar is preferable.

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts are appreciated, also bearing in mind that it's just me, so dining at the bar is preferable.

I would suggest Nopa - lively bar scene, great food and drinks and won't feel odd to dine solo. Same with Delfina. Tacolicious (mission or marina) would also be fun.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Slanted Door bar at the Ferry Building has a great view, food, drinks. If you haven't been to the Ferry Building it is certainly worth a visit before heading back to NYC at least for a drink if not a full dinner. It is fun watching one of the best commutes anywhere in the USA. The food is Modern Vietnamese. Everyone gets the Spring Rolls. I like many of the raw seafood selections. They have unique wines from all around Europe.

http://www.slanteddoor.com/food#dinner

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest Nopa - lively bar scene, great food and drinks and won't feel odd to dine solo. Same with Delfina. Tacolicious (mission or marina) would also be fun.

The Slanted Door bar at the Ferry Building has a great view, food, drinks. If you haven't been to the Ferry Building it is certainly worth a visit before heading back to NYC at least for a drink if not a full dinner. It is fun watching one of the best commutes anywhere in the USA. The food is Modern Vietnamese. Everyone gets the Spring Rolls. I like many of the raw seafood selections. They have unique wines from all around Europe.

Cheers, thanks for the recommendations.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I did not get Nopa at all. Mediocre food and a somewhat uninspired room. On the plus side they seem to be open past 9:15.

Do not go to TCLS in the marina. Maybe in the mission if you're desperate.

Where's the view again at TSD? Is it the bay bridge or the treasure island admin building? If you can stomach the hordes at the FB then I guess TSD is a thing.

Sorry, not having a great day. Glad you went to kiss.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree about not getting Nopa. I like Slanted Door, not for the view and definitely not for the muggles, but they have some really good dishes.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not get Nopa at all. Mediocre food and a somewhat uninspired room. On the plus side they seem to be open past 9:15.

Do not go to TCLS in the marina. Maybe in the mission if you're desperate.

Where's the view again at TSD? Is it the bay bridge or the treasure island admin building? If you can stomach the hordes at the FB then I guess TSD is a thing.

Sorry, not having a great day. Glad you went to kiss.

lefty

ha, thanks, lefty - i always appreciate your input. Kiss was definitely a favorite.
Agree about not getting Nopa. I like Slanted Door, not for the view and definitely not for the muggles, but they have some really good dishes.

Thanks!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe. I just got so skeeved out by shouldering my way through the mass of sanfomanity gathered around the bb and cg creamery that I could never relax.

Gomes, I'm a fair guy. I give where it's due.

I will say this. I miss my SF apt on a daily basis. That was a damn great place. Thankfully it wasn't for sale or I'd be a hell of a pickle right now.

lefty

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone's different. I enjoyed slanted door when they were at 17th and Valencia, but almost never go to the new iteration which feels like a cafeteria even if the food is mostly the same. I can't really get that excited about it at this point. If I wanted a water view, I would go to waterbar. Food is unremarkable, but not bad, and prices aren't good either, but if you prioritize having a great view, that's where I would go.

I don't think Nopa is that hard to get and honestly this feels like bizarro SF. Everyone I know enjoys Nopa.

As for T-lish - it's the right place for a number of people. It is the wrong place for a number of people - and obviously Lefty and heismatt are not the target audience there. Reddevil may or may not be.

Reddevil - another option might be Prospect. I haven't been yet, but everyone seems to love it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tacolicious is fine for takeout. The tacos are good enough.

Nopa kind of sucks. The food is just another mediocre iteration of generic Michael Bauer friendly food.

Prospect is fine. Not good or great. Fine.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Slanted Door's quality has ebbed and flowed over the years. My last meal there about 6 months ago led me to believe it is an ebb tide at present. Really miss the Out The Door location in the Emporium food court.

Company Restaurant is a solid neighborhood place that I am very fond of. The confit chicken wings are yummy.

Tadich Grill and Sam's are classic old school SF seafood places, Perbacco if your taste is more modern, Anzu if you need another sushi fix. All have good bars for dining. Ame if you want to round out the trip with another (excellent) high end place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads