• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't find a good raincoat, help! (Norway)

marbra

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm going insane.
Iv'e been researching possible raincoats for the last year and I've yet to find the right one, maybe you can help.
I'm basically looking for a typical macintosh rainciat like the one pictured from Grenfell. I was contemplating going for one from Grenfell, and I've been trying to contact them to get more info about sizing, lining, water resistanse etc, but with no answer from them on any platform.
So I'm reaching out to you. Do you know any high quality brands that can work?
I'm norwegian, so preferably something in Europe.
Here is basically what I'm looking for:
Color: light beige, or khaki
Length: BELLOW knee (must cover top of wellington boots)
Lining: Yes, a warm liner so it can be used in late autumn
Pockets: Slanted
Waterproof: Would be nice, but does not need to be rubberized.
Size: 36 ish (European size: 46)
Budget: about 900 usd, 776 eur
Hope I'm in the right place and that you can help me out, thanks.

Attachments

• 253497214_10159587221483491_1250923373120629191_n.jpg
    253497214_10159587221483491_1250923373120629191_n.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 71

Shetterd

Reaction score
So I'm reaching out to you. Do you know any high quality brands that can work?

Have you checked Cavour's offering? Might be a little short, but well within your price range and the quality is brilliant. Plus they're based in Oslo and offer easy returns plus are very responsive via email.

laureth

Reaction score
I definitely recommend Grenfell. The construction and products are extremely well made and well though out, at least on the Windsor trenchcoat. The pockets have a little opening so you can put your hand through and get things out of your suit jacket or trousers, without having to unbutton it. Only thing I wish it had was at least one inner breast pocket.
The "sage green" color is lovely in real life as well. I picked it over khaki/beige because it has a nice little sheen/luster to it.

I wouldn't recommend ordering from Grenfell though. As stated earlier, their customer service is horrible. I bought mine in a classic Paris shop that's been around for decades, but they do have an online shop as well. Incidentally, they're running a 20% promo on overcoats and imperméables (raincoats).

This is the light khaki colorway of the Grenfell Campbell raincoat.
Different color, but has a removable wool lining. Size 46 isn't in stock, although you could probably go down to a 44, unless you're a 46 on the brink of 48. They fit quite large since it's the classic cut.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Grenfell Campbell with standard fit a week and a half ago. The day after order confirmation I started to send to their CS different communications to change the fit to classic. After a week of my first messages I received a reply from Max (customer support). Awfull CS!

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I have a Campbell with liner. Nice coat. Recommend. Not completely waterproof, but good enough 95+% of the time. If out in heavy rain for 30+ minutes you will get a bit damp. Did not buy directly from Grenfell. There are a number of US stores that sell them.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Go local.

marbra

Reaction score
I ended up buying a Grenfell Campbell coat in size 34. I've used it a couple of times now, and I think it's a solid purchase even though I have some critique. The coat has a great length, it reaches me about half way down to my calf. It's in a size 34 and I'm 178 cm tall. It has a removable liner which I'll put in when autumn comes. I think the outer fabric is good, though it seems to crumble a bit quickly and it might become a bit wrinkly with time. The lining is nice, but it has no inner chest pockets like on a suit or overcoat, which I really dislike, nor does it have any outer side pocket. The pockets in the coat go directly into the inner pockets (which are very deep, maybe a bit too deep. I'd have liked the possibility to have both access to the inside of the coat trough the outer pockets, but also some smaller pockets for my hands when it's cold. This seems to me Abit to simplistic, and I'd have expected a bit more. giving me access to both handwarmer pockets and inside access to the deeper pockets would only require a **** inside the pocket and would make it a bit more practical.

The stitching is good, but a bit flimsy, the detailing is not done with the most of care in my opinion.

All in all, It's an expensive coat, which might not be able to defend it's price exactly, but it's still a good coat, with a good silhouette which could have been better with certain alterations.

marbra

Reaction score
I've now worn the coat for the better part of the last two months here in Oslo, and we've had a lot of rain this fall so that has given me good opportunity to give it a real test.

I like the coat a lot, mostly because off it's silouette. It drapes well of my shoulders, and goes right below my knees, long enough to cover wellington boots. Which was one of my main reasons for bying it. It repels water pretty well, but I also use an umbrella when walking outside. I'm sure that the cotton fabric won't repel water for very long if I'm caught in moderate rain for ten to fifteen minutes. It's pure cotton after all. Still,with wellington boots and an umbrella it keeps me 100% dry. I've also used the liner made of wool and cashmere a couple of times in the evening, and it also works well, it's warm and might work well trough the winter if it doesn't get too cold. Even though I find the construction of the removable liner to be a bit simplistic.

Main critique:
Personally, the price is the main problem here. Grenfell is obviously riding their heritage to the bank. Yes the coat is sewn in London, but Barbour also makes their Bedale and Beaufort jackets in England,and they have a much more thought out, detailed design. The campell coat feels a bit cheap in the design and fabric.The zipper is simple, the stitching of the wool liner is exposed and the check cotton lining is quite thin. The inner pockets are as mentioned very deep, maybe even a bit too deep. If I put my phone or anything else into them really, I have to reach long down into the coat. It's impractical. I'm also afraid the stitching wont hold if I put anything to heavy into them, like a bottle of sherry of something. They're deep enough for a bottle. Nor are there any handwarming pockets, which seems like a really basic simple thing to add. It's these small problems that makes me think the margins here are quite good, and that Grenfell should be investing more of their money into bettering their designs. Again, Barbours beaufort jacket, which I've owned for 12 years is priced at what? 350 euro/pounds ish? And it's attention to detail is MUCH higher. The construction is much more complicated and made to look more elegant, while the Grenfell campbell is just so simple in many ways.

Still, I'm happy with my purchase, It's a solid coat, but for 1000 euroes I'd have expected more.I also understand that the campbell is a heritage coat, inspired by the grenfell archives, one of their "icons". Still, I'd think it wise to make adjustments unless you're going for a time capsule type coat. Also when putting in the wool liner, the beautiful house check gets hidden because the wool liner is not in the same check. I'd had hoped that the lining would be a woven wool check, but instead it's made of wool outer, and a polyamide lining. But these are just personal preferences of course.

So yeah, that's my rant.Do i regret the purchase after using it now for three months straight? No! Not at all. But I do worry how this thing will wear with time.I'm afraid I'll be seing wear in the lining and edges of the cotton outer in just a few years, and that's a short time for a coat which (if taken care of) should last for at least ten years.

Am I being unreasonable? Anyone have other experiences with Grenfell?

St1X

Reaction score
Am I being unreasonable? Anyone have other experiences with Grenfell?
For 1k EUR RTW coat I'd expect it to be top notch in all details. Otherwise it's a bespoke level price and I'd rather get something made for me by a local tailor at this price. I live in Stockholm, so costs are pretty similar to Oslo

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GentWithoutaCent