• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Bought my Wife an Expensive Handbag ><

doctorj!

Reaction score
I do hope you have checked the hologram tags on the inside. Sadly, this color and style are counterfieted quite often.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doctorj!
I do hope you have checked the hologram tags on the inside. Sadly, this color and style are counterfieted quite often.

I would buy brand new copy and save the money and trouble. She would not know the difference and the difference would be , well negligible.

IMHO, this bag is a "Coach" bag for grown-up women.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doctorj!

Yep I got an authentic bag. Had it verified in a couple of ways, and the seller has a money-back guarantee on authenticity so no troubles there. But yeah, there were a LOT of counterfeits to sort through before I found this one at a reasonable price. Most of the counterfeits were being sold at lower than standard pricing, and some even had fake hologram stickers and cards.

I would buy brand new copy and save the money and trouble. She would not know the difference and the difference would be , well negligible.

She might not know the difference right away, but over time, I'm sure the copy would become evident, as is the case with most counterfeit items out there.

I don't understand what you mean by "Coach" bag for grown-up women.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I don't understand what you mean by "Coach" bag for grown-up women.

When girls hit puberty they WANT Coach bags, when the same girls hit middle-age they WANT Chanel/Hermes.

I see little difference between these two WANTS as both of them are driven by "me-too" consumerism rooted in brand mentality rather than personal style.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
When girls hit puberty they WANT Coach bags, when the same girls hit middle-age they WANT Chanel/Hermes.

I see little difference between these two WANTS as both of them are driven by "me-too" consumerism rooted in brand mentality rather than personal style.

Well I see what you mean now. My wife is 24 though so she seems to have grown up fast
smile.gif

I do, however, know there's a distinct difference between your run of the mill Coach bag and the one she now wants from Chanel

The latter will not go out of style I'm told, nor will it fall apart if well taken care of.

To me it's the same as stepping up from Cole Haan and getting AE or Alden

I'm actually happy my wife is moving away from the trendy women's stuff and wants to collect the staples of lasting quality

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What kind of loser would buy his wife a fake?
For that matter, what kind of loser would buy any fake for anyone?

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
What kind of loser would buy his wife a fake?
For that matter, what kind of loser would buy any fake for anyone?

I would not buy Chanel bag fake or real, I was just putting myself in his shoes.

Juts like I would not buy LV bag or Burberry Nova check scarf or Rolex Oyster watch, but if you feel you must you should go with fake.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not buy Chanel bag fake or real, I was just putting myself in his shoes.

Juts like I would not buy LV bag or Burberry Nova check scarf or Rolex Oyster watch, but if you feel you must you should go with fake.

Why go authentic at all, on any brand name?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree to some extent, but there are chicks who carry these products well and look hot doing so. But for the most part, I agree. I hate seeing a 13 year old carry a Coach bag - whether purchased retail or at an outlet, they are still not cheap, and a 13 year old girl shouldn't be carrying a Coach purse unless she can pay for it herself. But even then, it reflects materialism rather than style.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Why go authentic at all, on any brand name?

Exactly. There is no point in purchasing anything brand name unless it objectively represents value.
When brand name like Toyota or Honda objectively represents quality and dependability there is no wrong in sticking to that brand. When some consumer argues that Mercedes is a better car than Toyota I can understand and somewhat agree with that because Mercedes represents additional objective value whether it is performance or luxury options .
But when someone prefers Chanel bag to other bags or Tiffany diamonds to other diamonds it tells me that such consumer has fallen a victim to mass-market branding.
When brand names like Tiffany, Chanel, Prada, LV, Gucci etc. are mistakenly perceived by mass-luxury consumer as something very stylish, precious or exclusive (lol at that) then it becomes silly, not to mention a waste of money.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzatura
There is no point in purchasing anything brand name unless it objectively represents value.

I agree with the above sentence. I wouldn't buy a $4,000 Oxxford suit either, but I do recognize that there's a price for quality. I don't think the Chanel bag I got is a piece of trendy brand-name consumerism. Just like the Burberry trench, there are some classics out there worth the price.

Here's an interesting thing I read from a journalist on this particular Chanel 2.55 bag:

Originally Posted by Justine Picardie, Telegraph UK
Bruno Trippe is a calm and quietly spoken man, unusually tranquil in an industry known for divas; now occupying the key role of production manager, he has worked on the manufacture of Chanel handbags for a quarter of a century, after joining the company at the age of 22. 'There are 180 stages in the making of the bag,’ he explains, as he leads the way to the first of a mysterious series of rooms, 'and 340 people work here, most of whom have been here for an average of 17 years. It’s like making a piece of couture – you need a lot of expertise, 10 years of training, and we have a very particular way of working that is unlike any other factory.’

The starting point is with the leather itself – far softer than that used by other brands, layered on precisely placed wooden pallets and shelves. There are stacks of rose-coloured lambskin, and others in pale lilac, black patent, scarlet red and beige. 'We’re always looking for soft fabrics to work with,’ says Trippe, and gestures towards the rolls of tweeds, jerseys and satin, 'the same fabrics that are used in the making of the label’s ready-to-wear collection’. Afterwards he takes me through the six ateliers that every bag must pass through, where each stage is done by hand, aside from the occasional computerised invention. Everyone wears white coats; everyone displays that traditional French courtesy (handshaking, the formal use of 'Madame’ or 'Monsieur’ in conversation); and everyone is intent on their work, whether stitching or cutting or using delicate tools of the trade (little hammers, or small sewing-machines for intricate jigsaw quilting). It’s the very opposite of a sweatshop; rather, a place for highly skilled craftspeople, who take huge pride in what they produce. 'They all work on each stage of the process,’ says Trippe. 'They know every element of the 2.55, and the 60 pieces that go into the assembly of each bag. We need three lambskins for one bag, because we only use the softest, best part of the skin, to make it as soft as cloth, but it can’t be too fragile, so there is also a special kind of lining, to give structure to the bag, and the quilting process is secret to Chanel, as is the way we turn the bags inside out for the seaming. And, naturally, the lining has to be perfect – Mademoiselle Chanel was very particular that the inside of a handbag should be as beautiful as the outside.’

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate this planted advertisement in a form of an article and attempt to justify the prices, but you should read the stories they write about $50,000 Hermes bags. They call each other Your Majesty while making Hermes bags.
smile.gif

BTW, Hermes employees commute to the factory on their own individual albino tigers.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate this planted advertisement in a form of an article and attempt to justify the prices, but you should read the stories they write about $50,000 Hermes bags. They call each other Your Majesty while making Hermes bags.
smile.gif

BTW, Hermes employees commute to the factory on their own individual albino tigers.

Justify the prices?

Dude go back to post #1: I bought a used vintage bag that I plan on restoring. I fail to see how that action or the article I quoted are a "justification of prices." The article was given to show that the bags are hand made and require good material and attention to detail, much the same as any article of quality men's attire. Would I spend the $3k retail on the Chanel bag? Probably not. But as I stated, I wouldn't buy a $4k Oxxford suit either.

And if you think I'd spend $50k on a bag then you obviously have me confused with someone else

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Exactly. There is no point in purchasing anything brand name unless it objectively represents value.

What is the name of your planet, and where is your spacecraft?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads