1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Bought my Wife an Expensive Handbag ><

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by furo, Sep 14, 2009.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

^Classic, timeless bag. Good choice and she'll love it. I agree with the others about using a reputable service; Chanel will send it out to somebody... maybe you could find out who they use and go direct to them (they will probably be cheaper!) As for the above who questioned your purchase, Chanel bags are timeless in this style and a new one will run $2500-3000 or thereabouts. SO, buying a vintage one both gives it a little history and saves you some money. I think you made the right decision. Though, with a Chanel baseline, she will soon be wanting Hermes, and even used you'll be looking at something costing as much as a decent used car. [​IMG]

2. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thanks. That bag is a classic - and any woman worth their salt would greatly appreciate the trouble their man went through to find a classic item and have it refurbished as best as he can.

3. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

Though, with a Chanel baseline, she will soon be wanting Hermes, and even used you'll be looking at something costing as much as a decent used car. [​IMG]

I was going to buy my ex a Hermes bag. She walked in the boutique with me to see if they sold Lobbs and fell in love with a beautiful handbag. I can honestly say that this bag dwarfs what most 19 year olds will pay for their first car [​IMG]

4. braised

braised Well-Known Member

Refurbish it - you'll get points for scoring vintage and then again for restoring to top condition. B

5. Lulworth

Lulworth Active Member

Okay, so I splurged and got a vintage used Chanel bag for my wife as a xmas present (until she finds it of course, nothing can be hidden well enough)

It's made of quilted lambskin in a solid black (probably from the late 80s or early 90s I'd guess). It has some noticeable wear on it near the corners of the bottom and light scratches here and there.

Question is: should I try and polish it up myself or send it away to a professional?

I called up the Chanel store in NYC and the lady recommended using a Meltonian cream, called #170 that's supposedly for delicate leather. Of course she then recommended I send it in for Chanel's "full treatment" which runs $265 and takes 2-3 months to complete (making xmas a risk)

Anyone with some experience/knowledge in this?

Superior Leathers in Manhattan will know what to do with it.
    http://www.superiorleathernyc.com/

6. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Superior Leathers in Manhattan will know what to do with it.
    http://www.superiorleathernyc.com/

Thanks. I spoke with the owner on the phone and I think I will give them a shot!

Cost does not seem outrageous either.

7. furo

furo Well-Known Member

I just spoke with the Rago Brothers folks in NJ

They seem to have quite a bit of experience at a very reasonable price, so now I'm leaning more toward the Rago Brothers in NJ

thanks for the suggestions

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I just spoke with the Rago Brothers folks in NJ

They seem to have quite a bit of experience at a very reasonable price, so now I'm leaning more toward the Rago Brothers in NJ

thanks for the suggestions

+2 on rago brothers... they seem to have an old world method where they apply a special sauce to the leather that replenishes it... [​IMG]

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Though, with a Chanel baseline, she will soon be wanting Hermes, and even used you'll be looking at something costing as much as a decent used car. [​IMG]
    this was my mistake. been paying for it ever since [​IMG] although in fairness she gets me my holy grails so favors must be returned [​IMG]

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Before buying my wife her Chanel bag I signed up for the Purse Forum. You think SF members can be hardcore. Those Chanelista's are crazy. However, they provided me with guidance so that I wouldn't make a mistake. Unfortunately, I now know far too much about Chanel bags and that information has supplanted more important info in my brain like passwords and when to pay the power bill.

my condolences

When we were in Florence, we went to the Ferragamo flagship.... suffice it to say that at the end of that extravaganza, they gave us a free tour of the museum. [​IMG]

11. doctorj!

doctorj! Well-Known Member

I do hope you have checked the hologram tags on the inside. Sadly, this color and style are counterfieted quite often.

12. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

I do hope you have checked the hologram tags on the inside. Sadly, this color and style are counterfieted quite often.

I would buy brand new copy and save the money and trouble. She would not know the difference and the difference would be , well negligible.

IMHO, this bag is a "Coach" bag for grown-up women.

13. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Yep I got an authentic bag. Had it verified in a couple of ways, and the seller has a money-back guarantee on authenticity so no troubles there. But yeah, there were a LOT of counterfeits to sort through before I found this one at a reasonable price. Most of the counterfeits were being sold at lower than standard pricing, and some even had fake hologram stickers and cards.

She might not know the difference right away, but over time, I'm sure the copy would become evident, as is the case with most counterfeit items out there.

I don't understand what you mean by "Coach" bag for grown-up women.

14. Pezzaturra

I don't understand what you mean by "Coach" bag for grown-up women.

When girls hit puberty they WANT Coach bags, when the same girls hit middle-age they WANT Chanel/Hermes.

I see little difference between these two WANTS as both of them are driven by "me-too" consumerism rooted in brand mentality rather than personal style.

15. furo

furo Well-Known Member

When girls hit puberty they WANT Coach bags, when the same girls hit middle-age they WANT Chanel/Hermes.

I see little difference between these two WANTS as both of them are driven by "me-too" consumerism rooted in brand mentality rather than personal style.

Well I see what you mean now. My wife is 24 though so she seems to have grown up fast [​IMG]

I do, however, know there's a distinct difference between your run of the mill Coach bag and the one she now wants from Chanel

The latter will not go out of style I'm told, nor will it fall apart if well taken care of.

To me it's the same as stepping up from Cole Haan and getting AE or Alden

I'm actually happy my wife is moving away from the trendy women's stuff and wants to collect the staples of lasting quality

16. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I would buy brand new copy and save the money and trouble. She would not know the difference and the difference would be , well negligible.

IMHO, this bag is a "Coach" bag for grown-up women.

What kind of loser would buy his wife a fake?
    For that matter, what kind of loser would buy any fake for anyone?

17. Pezzaturra

What kind of loser would buy his wife a fake?
    For that matter, what kind of loser would buy any fake for anyone?

I would not buy Chanel bag fake or real, I was just putting myself in his shoes.

Juts like I would not buy LV bag or Burberry Nova check scarf or Rolex Oyster watch, but if you feel you must you should go with fake.

18. furo

furo Well-Known Member

I would not buy Chanel bag fake or real, I was just putting myself in his shoes.

Juts like I would not buy LV bag or Burberry Nova check scarf or Rolex Oyster watch, but if you feel you must you should go with fake.

Why go authentic at all, on any brand name?

19. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

I agree to some extent, but there are chicks who carry these products well and look hot doing so. But for the most part, I agree. I hate seeing a 13 year old carry a Coach bag - whether purchased retail or at an outlet, they are still not cheap, and a 13 year old girl shouldn't be carrying a Coach purse unless she can pay for it herself. But even then, it reflects materialism rather than style.

20. Pezzaturra

Why go authentic at all, on any brand name?

Exactly. There is no point in purchasing anything brand name unless it objectively represents value.
    When brand name like Toyota or Honda objectively represents quality and dependability there is no wrong in sticking to that brand. When some consumer argues that Mercedes is a better car than Toyota I can understand and somewhat agree with that because Mercedes represents additional objective value whether it is performance or luxury options .
    But when someone prefers Chanel bag to other bags or Tiffany diamonds to other diamonds it tells me that such consumer has fallen a victim to mass-market branding.
    When brand names like Tiffany, Chanel, Prada, LV, Gucci etc. are mistakenly perceived by mass-luxury consumer as something very stylish, precious or exclusive (lol at that) then it becomes silly, not to mention a waste of money.