• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get the center dimple in a tie?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Make sure the part of the front blade that is inside the knot is spread out and smooth, without any folds.

This is the most important step.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it took nine hours for someone to post this. Still, at least it was done ...

what exactly is that?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
what exactly is that?

Because every time this question comes up (and it comes up a lot) within seconds someone posts "The Dimpler".

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely true about the 'tightening' aspect. I have a tendency to pull things tight, whether doing a tie knot, or wrapping a package. This dimple business is part of why I detest neckties.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it took nine hours for someone to post this. Still, at least it was done ...

23201.jpg

You're right. Good point. Sorry we couldn't get that to you sooner !

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Related question:

What's the secret to getting the knot to stand away from the collar and give the front of the tie some billow? Is it:

collar stays/bars
the knot itself
special tightening
having something to tuck the front of the tie behind to push it upwards

...what?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sartorian, it's really the thickness/heft of the silk, and the quality of the lining. A hefty tie with a good lining will arch naturally, and stay that way for a long time. A flimsy, droopy tie just won't. A tie clip helps maintain the arch, but a lot of guys find them dorky, the kind of thing an IRS clerk would have worn in the '60s. (I love mine, FWIW, and Astaire loved his ...)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Related question:

What's the secret to getting the knot to stand away from the collar and give the front of the tie some billow? Is it:

collar stays/bars
the knot itself
special tightening
having something to tuck the front of the tie behind to push it upwards

...what?

There was a thread that described a method of twisting the tie before finishing the knot and produce exactly the effect you want. If not here on SF check out AA.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To make a decent dimple, I find it works best to tie the tie loosely, as noted above. Don't cinch the knot tight and then pull it up into the collar. When you put the front blade through to form the knot, leave it loose. Make sure the part of the front blade that is inside the knot is spread out and smooth, without any folds. If you pull up the knot and there are already folds in there, they will set and make a centered dimple impossible.

Gently pull the knot up into the collar before you tighten it. Then work in the dimple as you tighten and fix in place the knot. Basically, all you need to do is press an impression into the tie, just below the knot, with your index finger. Make sure to center the impression. Then, as you gently tighten the knot, keep your index finger there and use your thumb and middle finger to hold the sides of the dimple even. Don't over tighten. If your knot ends up looking like something worn by the cast of LA Law, it's too tight.

+1...It's really simple just try it a couple of times. Pinch the tie between with your index finger between your thumb and middle finger before you tighten the knot. Hold the pinch as you tighten and move the knot up to your collar.

YOgun27

Reaction score
What's wrong with "The Dimpler" besides the $15 price tag? It seems like a practical device worth about $2.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YOgun27
What's wrong with "The Dimpler" besides the $15 price tag? It seems like a practical device worth about $2.

It's cheesy and unnecessary. Why use a tool when your hand works just as well?

lpwb32

Reaction score
one common mistake that makes dimples nearly impossible is pulling the tie down as opposed to pushing the knot up.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
It's cheesy and unnecessary. Why use a tool when your hand works just as well?

It's like the Pasta Express. Step 1: Boil some water in a pot. Step 2: Pour the water in the Pasta Express. Step 3: Add pasta. Step 4: Wait for 10 minutes for half-cooked pasta. Step 5: Wash pot and Pasta Express.

Why not just put the pasta in the pot?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little off the original post, but I personally do not like the "perfect" dimple. Looks too contrived, in my opinion.

I find thicker ties dimple better. Instead of the "Dimpler" device, I've also sometimes just use a pen or a smooth stick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads