• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get the center dimple in a tie?

cpadude

Reaction score
Some of the better dressers at work are able to get a dimple in their tie just below the know that is really symmetrical and looks quite good. Is there some trick/knot to making this happen?

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
This going to be hard to tell you with no pictures, but I use a technique that is a combination of some of the more common ones out there.

First, I assume you're right handed? Lay the tie around your neck with the fat end on the left, and the seem outward. Now, you should have the fat end about 3× longer than the tail-end of it. Grab the tail end about half-way of its length. Then, grab the fat end at about the same point--so your hands are at roughly the same place in space.

Put the fat end under the tail, and wrap it to the left. It should now be going under the tail, and wrapped over it. Pull the fat end between the two sides that were formed when you crossed the ends. Wrap it around the LEFT side, and then around the back. Then pull it from the front to the back between the two sides and wrap it around the RIGHT side. Wrap it around the front, and pull it between through the back and tuck it into the front like you would normally. MAKE SURE NO PARTS OVERLAP!

This method makes sure the triagle is perfectly symetrical, which makes getting the dimple a synch!! Tighten the tie by squeezing on the bottom of the triange between your middle finger and thumb. Your index finger should be pushing in on the middle of the tie where you want the dimple to form. Pull the tie tight, making sure to stretch the two ends with your other hand to keep the triangle nice and wide and even.

Hope this helps, and is easy to follow. If I get a chance, I'll do some computer drawins of the whole process for it to be easier to understand.

HT

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rolo

Reaction score
Try a Pratt (also called Shelby) knot.

It is very symmetrical (too symmetrical for some). Is easy to dimple. And, it doesn't shift during the day.

It looks like a half-Windsor, except that the knot ties straight across (like a full Windsor) rather than crossing the knot on at a slant.

Here's a site that shows how to tie it.

http://www.totieatie.com/pratt.asp

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomophoto2.jpg

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
Try a Pratt (also called Shelby) knot.

It is very symmetrical (too symmetrical for some). Is easy to dimple. And, it doesn't shift during the day.

It looks like a half-Windsor, except that the knot ties straight across (like a full Windsor) rather than crossing the knot on at a slant.

Here's a site that shows how to tie it.

http://www.totieatie.com/pratt.asp

What the difference between the Nicky and the Pratt?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I basically just hold together the tie underneath the knot, and then tighten the knot.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
What the difference between the Nicky and the Pratt?

They're almost exactly the same. For the Nicky you take the wide end to the right in step four and with the Pratt you go to the left.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also found out that the dimple is easier to get, when you carefully make it on the first time you knot the tie.

Once the tie is worn it kind of forms to the way this first-time knot was made and then follows this kind of positioning in the future.... tie knot memory

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I also found out that the dimple is easier to get, when you carefully make it on the first time you knot the tie.

Once the tie is worn it kind of forms to the way this first-time knot was made and then follows this kind of positioning in the future.... tie knot memory

"Tie knot memory" I've also heard this referred to as the "sweet spot". Any traditional, standard tie knot should produce a dimple. The better the fabric, the easier it is to tie and to achieve that dimpled look.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Tomophoto2.jpg

I can't believe it took nine hours for someone to post this. Still, at least it was done ...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To make a decent dimple, I find it works best to tie the tie loosely, as noted above. Don't cinch the knot tight and then pull it up into the collar. When you put the front blade through to form the knot, leave it loose. Make sure the part of the front blade that is inside the knot is spread out and smooth, without any folds. If you pull up the knot and there are already folds in there, they will set and make a centered dimple impossible.

Gently pull the knot up into the collar before you tighten it. Then work in the dimple as you tighten and fix in place the knot. Basically, all you need to do is press an impression into the tie, just below the knot, with your index finger. Make sure to center the impression. Then, as you gently tighten the knot, keep your index finger there and use your thumb and middle finger to hold the sides of the dimple even. Don't over tighten. If your knot ends up looking like something worn by the cast of LA Law, it's too tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads