• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can pants be taken in?

pgoat

Reaction score
I am ready to pull the trigger on a suit (new unaltered) that appears to be a great fit except for the waist of the pants - they are a 42.

I now wear pants with waist of (actual size - I measure with mm laid flat and double) 39-41.5. I can do 38.5" but they are snug.

So I could do these new pants with suspenders (They have side tabs, no belt loops; I'd probably take them to a tailor to sew in braces buttons.) but I am also now jogging again - many moons ago I wore a 33 or 34 waist - I expect to hopefully get back down to a 36 or at least a very comfy 38.

Could these 42s be taken in to 38 without difficulty?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not very likely. The consensus I've seen in posts on this and other forums is that about 2" represents the maximum that the waist can be taken in without distorting the line and cut of the trousers. I suppose that a larger taking-in could be accomplished if the tailor essentially re-cut the trousers through the hips/butt region and re-sewed them to a leaner profile, but I doubt that the result would be completely satisfactory unless the tailor were an accomplished maker of trousers.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
if you have to ask that question, dont buy them
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know, I think you might be able to get more than 2" out at that size even the simple way. Once you get to your goal weight/waist size, you can send the pants off to a good tailor and they can certainly be recut properly (maybe look at the expense as a reward).

My question is, are you wearing your current pants at the right rise? Not to be insulting, but many men are hitching their pants under a belly and they look terrible. Hopefully, you will use suspenders and hang them a little below your navel where they will drape and help conceal any overhang. I recently helped a family member with this problem and he was so relieved when he saw/felt how they could fit with suspenders. He said he wanted to get suspender buttons sewn in all his pants since they were so much more comfortable that way. I am nearly convinced that cinching a belt down tight under a belly must be causing abdominal stress and possibly back problems as one adopts the posture necessary to keep one's pants from falling down.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
the pockets make a mess though J, they get too close to the seams.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
the pockets make a mess though J, they get too close to the seams.
Like I said, I recently dealt with this and a size 42 waist pair of pants has quite a bit of space between the pockets. Taking 2" out of a 34 is like taking ~2.6" out of a 42, assuming similar proportions. And I have read of many people having trousers successfully recut significantly more than that. It's not something for the dry cleaning lady, but it can be done well.

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Like I said, I recently dealt with this and a size 42 waist pair of pants has quite a bit of space between the pockets. Taking 2" out of a 34 is like taking ~2.6" out of a 42, assuming similar proportions. And I have read of many people having trousers successfully recut significantly more than that. It's not something for the dry cleaning lady, but it can be done well.

Thanks J

I wear my trousers (other than Levis 501s, which are on my hips but belted - no crack allowed) at or just under navel if plain front (unusual for me) and at or slightly above navel, firmly above small of waist if pleated. Being 5'8" ish and 220 lbs I have to watch the "Fred Mertz" disease (aka 'the man who was eaten by his pants' syndrome) but I have short legs (29" inseam) so I like the longer vertical line of waist pants.

I think I will go for them....it's a nice enough suit to warrant the expense or the reward recut. Then again who knows if this old man can even lose the weight at this point? I ran three times this week and gained 3 pounds!!!
crazy.gif

pgoat

Reaction score
btw, thought I'd add: when I was fitted for an MTM by Martin Greenfield he kept putting me in a larger and larger pant (BB suits) so I could get the fullness needed in rise and seat (In addition to being stocky and fat, I cycle a lot so my butt and hamstrings are big.) so bigger pants tapered down may be a blessing.....just have to find a decent tailor.

Any recommendations in NYC for recutting pants? (here they are, btw)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads