1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How is nubuck (suede looking) alligator and crocodile made

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alford78, Mar 6, 2016.

1. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone will be able to give much info on this subject but it has me very curious because I've searched for hours on YouTube and Google about alligator/crocodile finished in nubuck without any details at all. All I know is the outer skin is buffed or sanded to create the suede like texture known as nubuck.

Can anyone tell me when this needs to be done and how it's done or link me to some sites that explain it?

I'm really wanting a pair of shoes and belt but just want to research the material before shelling out several grand if at all possible. I've found a supplier for belts that is extremely reasonable but my search for shoes hasn't provided any good deals yet. $6,000 is the lowest I've seen so far for shoes.

Thanks all!
    Alex

2. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Got any pictures of your exotic skins that you can share?

3. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

Oh. No. Just my shoes, boots, belts and wallet is all. If it comes down to providing a maker with skins in order to have them made a lot cheaper I'll cross that road when I get there.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016