• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does an SA afford to wear expensive retail clothes?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting thread. I guess if one sells a few Tom Ford suits the commission would easily pay for a new suit.

...you're basically assuming they make a lot of money, which I don't think is true.

Edge89

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Now I want to work at Tom Ford.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i work at bb and i certainly think this is false. we get 50% off and 60% off most of the time.

BB gets 50% off retail, and they get coupon cards for cheaper ties and shirts, and often 60% off an item. Black fleece stand alone stores get free clothing each season like 2 outfits. What sucks about the discount is you only get discount on retail and not sale items. Since all seasonal stuff goes for 50% off during clearance, and then more you get same price as customers. although you can use your discount at outlets.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...you're basically assuming they make a lot of money, which I don't think is true.

Retail sales is a huge roller coaster for fully commissioned SA's. Holiday they rake in a bunch, and during big sales as well. then during slow months they make nearly nothing.

Top sales people make 6 figures though.

tacobender

Reaction score
I spend a disproportionate amount of my income on clothes. Even with discounts, discounts on top of the sale price, discounts on top of the lowest sale price. It is still pricey. I also love what I do and love building my wardrobe, so ....it all evens out I guess....

I know some TF employees, I think they are given 2 suits per season....

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I spend a disproportionate amount of my income on clothes. Even with discounts, discounts on top of the sale price, discounts on top of the lowest sale price. It is still pricey. I also love what I do and love building my wardrobe, so ....it all evens out I guess....
I know some TF employees, I think they are given 2 suits per season....

I love reading that, looking at your avatar. Reading that, looking at your avatar. :lol:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the tax return of an SA who works at JAB,makes more than 100K.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I dated a few girls who worked retail and worked around the following employee discount policies:

J Crew: Every item is 30-40% off for employees. About every month they put out an employee list of items that can be had at a deeper discount. I have been "gifted" stuff from J Crew for up to 90% off retail. It's almost a joke.

Louis Vuitton: All employees are given two "work outfits" when they start (suits for guys and dresses for girls). In terms of a discount employees have access to a company-wide list of products that have been discontinued or refurbished. Basically people buy stuff, find a fault with it and are given a replacement. The "defective" product is then restored in their factories and put on the list. Clothes and accessories like ties are put on this list as their season passes. You have to apply for the item and if an item is especially hot they do a lottery-like system for it. Generally discounts are around 70% but this varies on the product. I don't think there is a limit to how many items you can buy.

Neiman Marcus: Employees generally enjoy 70% off of items store-wide. Extremely luxurious things (think Kiton or Tom Ford) are excluded a lot of times and NM is RUTHLESS in ensuring that the items bought are for the SA and not "gifts". If they even sense you are giving the item to someone that's not in your immediate family, etc they will pretty much fire you on the spot. Their purchases are limited to x-amount per month and that system depends on how long you've worked there, your commissions, etc, etc.

This is what I remember, though it's been a while since my SA phase. I generally met them at the store or was set up with them by another SA so I was always half-using them for a discount :devil:. Sweet girls, all of them, however.

tacobender

Reaction score

I love reading that, looking at your avatar. Reading that, looking at your avatar. :lol:

I'm a wacky a dresser in the world of retail, it has of course benefited me quite a bit as people end up describing me to their friends "go see the guy who dresses like Austin Powers" are my favorite referrals. I'm usually in etro, paul smith, or something else crazy....as for the avatar, good ole mustard man isn't going anywhere!

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do they get some sort of commission?
Anyone know what typical SA pay structure is?
It's usually either a) on a full commission-draw structure, or b) hourly plus small commision structure either % or incentive based. on commission draw which is more common, especially in stores with high traffic: some operate on flat % on all sales, usually it's between 7-10% of net sales mind you (sales - returns). For example at BB it's 7% flat for each associate, then when the store meets it's goal, the associates get bumped to 10% until the end of the quarter. Similarly at Nordstrom for example, each department has it's commission rate, clothing is usually lower, and womens shoes are at a higher 10%. Selling a women's shoe you would get 10% on the shoe sale, ~8% on the men's shoe etc. Top sales people get bumps in commission. Draw's an advance on your salary when you don't make your goals. For example if your draw rate is $12/hour, and you work 40 hours. and you make 7% commission on sales, you'd need to sell at least $6857 to just cover draw. Let's assume you get paid weekly. if you sell under your draw rate for example you only sold 3k net last week. You'd get a full paycheck of 40hours x 12$, but you'd be $4857 in the hole, so you would need to catch up in the following weeks. Employees who don't make draw though are usually let go pretty quickly. b) At some lower traffic stores, for example some watch jewlery stores etc, you are usually paid hourly like $13/hour, then a small % commission like 1-3% similarly some SA's make their hourly rate, and instead of straight commission, if they sell X amount of $ then they get an incentive payout of $x If you are in a good location, and you make a career out of it, it's pretty easy to make some good $$. Or doing it as a gig to get through college, the holidays are sweet. Mediocre SA's generally make around 40-60k. Top 10% SA earn 70-120k$, top 1% 200k+ Terrible SA's make about 25-35k until they get fired.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dated a few girls who worked retail and worked around the following employee discount policies:
J Crew: Every item is 30-40% off for employees. About every month they put out an employee list of items that can be had at a deeper discount. I have been "gifted" stuff from J Crew for up to 90% off retail. It's almost a joke.

When was this? Had a few friends who worked last summer and the discount was only 50% off 5 items a month?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mediocre SA's generally make around 40-60k. Top 10% SA earn 70-120k$, top 1% 200k+
Terrible SA's make about 25-35k until they get fired.

This is off by a bit.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I've seen the tax return of an SA who works at JAB,makes more than 100K.
Do they get some sort of commission?
Anyone know what typical SA pay structure is?
No this is BS. I worked at JAB in college. I was the highest payed associate (not the manager/department manager/assistant manager) because the rest of the regular associates are morons at best. I got payed $7.25/hr OR 6% commission whichever was better. My average weekly check was like $100 after taxes. I was working part-time, but I know the manager only made like $50k. Managers got like a base of $40k + commission. Also, the discount was the worst ever. 50% most things (40% off some). It didn't stack with sales.... so it was less than useless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads