• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horrible hair!

creda

Reaction score
Hi,
Im new to the forums and have an issue that needs to be dealt with lol.
Im 15 years old, and quite hair concious. Ok, I have naturally quite messy, puffy, wiry and VERY thick hair (all hairdressers comment on it lol). Whenever I try to straighten my hair, it goes straight, however it just sticks up in the middle. So i've given up on straightening. Ive had one very good haircut by a hairdresser. bassically, she cut it slightly shorter (my hair is not very short, but not too long) thinned it, and then straightened it, and it actually looked quite cool. But after about a week it jus went back to being a curly mess again.
So I was just wondering whether there was a way to permenantly keep my hair nice and stright with some depth to it so it's easy to style and make it look good, I just want a way to keep it flat really, so it has potential to be styled well. I used to sleep with a cap on lol, it worked but only for about half a day, then it went all messy again.
Help please!
Thanks
P.S my hair is about 1 inch long all over

insanestyle

Reaction score
You know, if you shaved it all off, you wouldnt have to fret over it anymore..
(hint hint)

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude, 1 inch all over is SHORT! I say use a decent product in your hair and you should be ok, or just grow it out, perhaps it would take to that.

Louis

Reaction score
....1 and a half on sides then fade?

Just get a 2 on the sides and tell your hairstyler to texturize your hair and then for the first week itll look awkward, but thereafter itll look really good, only if you style it correctly. Meaning you shouldnt use gel, this is if you want to get that messy hair look

impass101

Reaction score
Have you considered a mini-fro? Please accomplish and post pics! (Only if you're not white and can pull the mini-fro off)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
a 1 and half on the sides and fade up to a 2 then a 4. problem solved

or, a 1 all over - problem really solved.

op2

Reaction score
Flat iron your hair.
AKA, straighten it with a ceramic hair staightener.

It takes, what, a few minutes, and virtually every single "celebrity" male with hair longer than a crew does it. It's not just about making your hair obey what you want it to do, it also makes hair shinier and glossier.

Suggested styling examples (for beginners - browse):
http://www.americanidol.com/style/hair/

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by op2
Flat iron your hair.
AKA, straighten it with a ceramic hair staightener.

It takes, what, a few minutes, and virtually every single "celebrity" male with hair longer than a crew does it. It's not just about making your hair obey what you want it to do, it also makes hair shinier and glossier.

Suggested styling examples (for beginners - browse):
http://www.americanidol.com/style/hair/

Is an inch to an inch and three quarters too short to use a ceramic straightener? I have the same problem with chemical straightener making my hair stick up in the middle. I have used it religiously for seven years (every couple weeks) and my hair is very dry afterwards and sticks up like a porcupine.

I just bought some Rene Futerer products to help with the dryness. I assume that I need to get off of the chemical straightener soon so I do not have dry, brittle hair all of my life?

Double D

Reaction score
Sounds like you need yourself a good conditioner... a good leave in conditioner before drying and straightening should do the job, and if you wash, condition and blow dry your hair properly you shouldn't need to use straighteners that much anyhow.

Double D

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike Lowry
Is an inch to an inch and three quarters too short to use a ceramic straightener?
No. You can get straightening tongs that are about a half inch wide nowadays. Again, with good quality conditioner and a powerful ceramic hairdryer, you shouldn't need much straightening at all.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Double D
No. You can get straightening tongs that are about a half inch wide nowadays. Again, with good quality conditioner and a powerful ceramic hairdryer, you shouldn't need much straightening at all.

When you talk about using a hair dryer what do you mean? My hair is very short (I just had it cut and they used a three on the sides and a six on the top) why would I need to blowdry it?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just train your hair. I have always combed my hair the same way for as long as I can remember and once you do it enough, your hair is trained to go that way.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads