• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Theatre PC - DIY/Advice

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been contemplating taking a couple of older computers I have laying around and making a HTPC with them, or building my own, or buying one. Does anyone have a lot of experiance with this?

I have read that a good HTPC can be far superior to any normal DVD player.

I would want it to be able to play dvd/blu-ray
upconvert to 1080P
output via optical
allow light web browsing via wireless keyboard/remote/mouse
rip/playback dvd's/Blu ray
stream music via web/library.

Any thoughts?

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
I have been contemplating taking a couple of older computers I have laying around and making a HTPC with them, or building my own, or buying one. Does anyone have a lot of experiance with this? I have read that a good HTPC can be far superior to any normal DVD player. I would want it to be able to play dvd/blu-ray upconvert to 1080P output via optical allow light web browsing via wireless keyboard/remote/mouse rip/playback dvd's/Blu ray stream music via web/library. Any thoughts?
Items listed in red are your two technical gating items as everything other function listed is standard nowadays. One thing to consider with 1080p and Blu Ray play back is whether you want to offload the work from your CPU to a GPU. I would recommend that you go with a multi-core CPU processor with a low wattage rating combined with an RV710 ATI HD4550 graphics card (UVD2.0). Wielding both of these parts should allow you to perform all HTPC tasks up to some medium level of 3D computer gaming. Either that, or get a PS3. The PS3 does everything you listed.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
+1 on the PS3, but if you still want to build your own HTPC, read this for advice:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...940972&page=85

--Andre

Great link, thanks.

Man, there is really nothing like the folks at AVSforum when you need to get into every minute detail (or feel like reading a 400 page thread on a tv you're considering.)

xpress

Reaction score
I just purchased the Acer AX1700...
E7300 Core 2 duo
4gb ddr2 ram
640gb hd
512mb Nvidia graphic car...
HDMI out (on my wishlist)

I have that, and a ps3 (for blu-ray and gaming) hooked up to my lcd (Considering the switch to a projector)

Windows Media Center is GREAT on an HTPC setup!

turboman808

Reaction score
I am very very happy using a popcorn hour connected wireless to my network. Only thing it doesn't do is browse the internet. Xbox works with HULU now so it's pretty good as well. Haven't tried the PS3 but as others have said it's a good solution as well.

I love that everything is so small and barely noticeable now. Got it all tucked away in a 60 year old hand painted bombe chest with my tube amp on top and LCD mounted to the wall. Really am happy with how it looks aesthetically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads