• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This suit is lovely.

I know there are people here who don’t like contrast stitching on buttonholes, but this is how it’s done.

What can be distracting with a solid fabric here simply picks up on and amplifies an already existing element of the pattern. I’ve got a Glen plaid three-piece that does the same thing, and I quite like the effect.

Cheers,

Ac

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt and trousers by Luxire.

Shirt does not belong here. Otherwise, great.

It was a DB weekend. Both from suitsupply

I have this exact same jacket and have occasionally struggled to match it coherently. This is interesting, but I'd really want to see what you did with the lower block.

Oh no, not me mate! My only nod to Robbie was a tartan pocket handkerchief
nod[1].gif

#englishman

I was at a pub in central Edinburgh with an English friend. A very small, nattily dressed gent who appeared to be a bar fixture, caught my friend's Westminster School accent and started berating him in an uncompromising brogue. "Fockin' English. Yerr' all a bonch o' fockers, the lotaya! Fock off back to England, ye focker!" Turning to me, "Yuu tuu, ah hate yer, focking English!"

"He's Australian", interjected my friend.

Natty man didn't miss a beat. "Focking Austraaalians, yerr jest as bad, ye fockers! Now fock off with yer!"

We bought him a drink.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clarinetplayer, I've always enjoyed your posts generally, but in the last few weeks you've been executing flawlessly. Really good stuff.

Agreed. The first one, with the sweater, is a beautiful use of a white shirt without a tie. I can't imagine any other color working as well.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...] I was at a pub in central Edinburgh with an English friend. A very small, nattily dressed gent who appeared to be a bar fixture, caught my friend's Westminster School accent and started berating him in an uncompromising brogue. "Fockin' English. Yerr' all a bonch o' fockers, the lotaya! Fock off back to England, ye focker!" Turning to me, "Yuu tuu, ah hate yer, focking English!"

"He's Australian", interjected my friend.

Natty man didn't miss a beat. "Focking Austraaalians, yerr jest as bad, ye fockers! Now fock off with yer!"

We bought him a drink.

biggrin.gif

I'm guessing it wasn't a pint of English bitter ...

Cheers,

ac

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
[quote url="[URL]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1591811/[/URL]"]
I know there are people here who don’t like contrast stitching on buttonholes, but this is how it’s done. What can be distracting with a solid fabric here simply picks up on and amplifies an already existing element of the pattern. I’ve got a Glen plaid three-piece that does the same thing, and I quite like the effect. Cheers, Ac [/quote] I'm not sure I would call that a contrasting buttonhole. Isn't it just picking one of the colors from the fabric? Whatever the case, it looks nice and didn't stand out for me at all.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would, because it picks the darkest (although I grant you contrast is a matter of degree).

YMMV.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Mhmt83

Reaction score
I have this exact same jacket and have occasionally struggled to match it coherently. This is interesting, but I'd really want to see what you did with the lower block.

You are right. It is a little bit complicated. I normally prefer mid gray or navy pants and occasionally cream pants.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a lovely looking jacket (or is it a suit?), @Mhmt83. But the tie - and probably the shirt as well - look a bit too formal to go with it, IMO.

Last edited:

Mhmt83

Reaction score
That's a lovely looking jacket (or is it a suit?), @Mhmt83 . But the tie - and probably the shirt as well - look a bit too formal to go with it, IMO.
Thank u Elio! It s a jacket from suitsupply. Well yes, maybe it is more a "suit" combination than a jacket one. I will try a different one next time. Thanks for your opinion.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What to wear on the eve of a blizzard. Note that today's selection of footwear will, most likely, be superseded by hiking boots, a necessity for the trudge homewards this evening, if weather reports are accurate.

Blazer, trousers, tie, shoes - BB
Shirt - LE
PS - PRL
Overcoat & cap - BB
Scarf - Crombie

Swangerman

Reaction score
Blizzard suiting! Anticipating 20-30 inches...

Suit -- Vintage JAB, Half lined, recrafted/shaped with tailor (pant taper, jacket length, etc). Not sure when it was made but tags say made in USA and has a woolmark logo. Originally styling suggets 70s or early 80s. In any event, the fabric is lovely.
Shirt -- J.Crew OCBD
Tie -- Billy Reid
Shoes -- Church's Grizedale w/ commando sole (Barney's Exclusive)
PS -- None. In a rush for an early morning meeting so I forgot!
Watch -- Hamilton Khaki with olive nato strap

Not pictured:
Jacket -- Sage Green Satin Epaulet/Spiewak Golden Fleece N3B Snorkel Parka
Scarf -- Grey JCrew Cashmere
Gloves -- Black Dents, rabbit fur lined
Hat -- Black knit Todd Snyder

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads