• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the tie, I would just never wear it, which I even stated was my opinion, which is up to you in how you interpret. I don't personally like the tie, but seriously more power to you if you make it work in your fits.

I'm sorry I don't have 10s of thousands of posts of good fits on this forum, but that it doesn't change the fact that, in my opinion, (take with a grain of salt if you feel that it's too personal) the entire fit looked good, but the perspective makes it look flat without some texture.

I wasn't taking issue with your critique, which has merit--a grenadine or knit would have been a more technically sound choice. Rather, I objected to the way you framed it--i.e. that not only was the tie an affront to good taste, but that I needed to immediately dispose of it, then go out any buy some replacements because there was no way I could possibly own any ties that would complement a blue jacket/fawn trouser/blue shirt look. You are by no means the only poster in this thread to adopt this tone, and it's a part of the "institutional culture," but I don't think it's needed to render a useful, direct critique. That's all I was saying.

I'll own that I'm sensitive with regard to this tie because it was a birthday gift from my partner. This doesn't mean it's above criticism, though! Thanks for the compliment about the rest of the fit.

P.S. Please do post a fit or two.

Last edited:

presidente

Reaction score

I wasn't taking issue with your critique, which has merit--a grenadine or knit would have been a more technically sound choice. Rather, I objected to the way you framed it--i.e. that not only was the tie an affront to good taste, but that I needed to immediately dispose of it, then go out any buy some replacements because there was no way I could possibly own any ties that would complement a blue jacket/fawn trouser/blue shirt look.  You are by no means the only poster in this thread to adopt this tone, and it's a part of the "institutional culture," but I don't think it's needed to render a useful, direct critique. That's all I was saying. 

I'll own that I'm sensitive with regard to this tie because it was a birthday gift from my partner.  This doesn't mean it's above criticism, though!  Thanks for the compliment about the rest of the fit. 

P.S. Please do post a fit or two. 

I appreciate the response, and sent you an apology via message. When I'm not changing diapers sometime, I'll be sure to post some fits, and look forward to the responses.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and thanks for the PM as well. I'm just starting to get a semblance of comfort with where my style meets (and often doesn't meet) the conventions of good sartorial taste, so your feedback and critiques are always welcome. Look forward to seeing those fits.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice coat, FM.

Rest of fit far too busy for me. I have to say, for a guy that talks a lot about restraint, and the uber intellectual/academic points of coherent dress (iirc), and general trying to make clothing make sense kind of things, you sure do put together, and generally wear, some pretty outre stuff. Jussayin.

Today I took a stroll in the woods and sat on a rock in strong wind by the sea.

Thanks for these awsm pics Anden. Helf expecting a Troll to jump out at u it looks so Nordic. Those colors (greens and lite browns) really work for yr complexion IMO

Damn, I thought these were Dovers. Can't quite make out if they have the pie-crust stitching. They're a terrific take on the EG.

Awsm fit.

CD, Seajen
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From last Thursday. I went in for my suit fitting today. We're lengthening the sleeves and pants and letting the waist out a bit. The button stance and gorge are a little higher than I would like, but it'll work. I'm excited to get it back and give it a spin.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SeaJen like a baws.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How to make a PS look liek that? It's boggling my mind a bit.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summery slubby Shantung silk

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today. Black watch and herringbone. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
AAS, this goes right to the top of my fave AAS fits, love it :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads