• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

presidente

Reaction score
@Coxsackie I'm going to jump on the #2 suit hype train. #1 just seems out of place on you, could work on someone of a thicker build maybe. The stripe contrast is very distracting on your body type.

@heldontenor I would personally drop that tie off at a thrift store, but by saying that of course that's just my opinion. I would swap it out with something textured in this fit, as my main concern is your piece doesn't seem to have any depth. Invest in two or three drakes, get a more muted pair of shoes, and this fit will just rock.

Last edited:

ctp120

Reaction score
When uploading from my camera last week I found this pic I took a few months back during the warmer months. Not WIAWT, but thought it might be worth posting anyways.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice coat, FM.

Rest of fit far too busy for me. I have to say, for a guy that talks a lot about restraint, and the uber intellectual/academic points of coherent dress (iirc), and general trying to make clothing make sense kind of things, you sure do put together, and generally wear, some pretty outre stuff. Jussayin.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice coat, FM.

Rest of fit far too busy for me. I have to say, for a guy that talks a lot about restraint, and the uber intellectual/academic points of coherent dress (iirc), and general trying to make clothing make sense kind of things, you sure do put together, and generally wear, some pretty outre stuff. Jussayin.

I wouldn't expect most of what I wear to appeal to you. We all advise restraint and coherence as starting positions - that's a good thing. Some of us like to stay restrained. I'm fine with that that, indeed I will praise the best examples of restraint as loudly as I can - your version included. But I've always been quite clear that, personally, I don't need to wear conservative business dress, and that I like colour and a bit of flamboyance, and argue regularly for the acceptance of both here - but without the loss of coherence. And while today's fit may not be as restrained as some, you can hardly say that it's incoherent...

On the other hand, I do think I am going to have to give in to the pressure and get a decent camera and find a more suitable location for my shots.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think its particularly coherent actually, especially the shirt. Im not saying that you should wear conservative business dress, ever in fact if you dont want or need to, Im saying that even within your preferential mode of dress, I think you often throw in at least one item that throws off the fit, and just makes its too much. I dont think there is any lack of love for a little flamboyance here, its more the execution than the theory.

Very happy about the camera decision though!

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think its particularly coherent actually, especially the shirt. Im not saying that you should wear conservative business dress, ever in fact if you dont want or need to, Im saying that even within your preferential mode of dress, I think you often throw in at least one item that throws off the fit, and just makes its too much. I dont think there is any lack of love for a little flamboyance here, its more the execution than the theory.

Very happy about the camera decision though!

Fair enough. The shirt was the item I was least certain about as it happens.

As for the camera, there's my pictures, and then there's @Anden 's pictures... it's starting to get a little embarrassing.
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Steffen and Paul. I've seen that Jort and the fabric does look alike, nice suit. This is actually a Caruso from Pauw. [ snob] Don't see Suitsupply doing milanese button holes any time soon ;) [ /snob]

The shoes are Clarendon from C&J, Paul.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anden - Dat hair!

Crat - Dose shooz!

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@heldontenor I would personally drop that tie off at a thrift store, but by saying that of course that's just my opinion. I would swap it out with something textured in this fit, as my main concern is your piece doesn't seem to have any depth. Invest in two or three drakes, get a more muted pair of shoes, and this fit will just rock.
Great, I'll be sure to drop this unlined seven-fold that has tons of visual interest off at the thrift store because you don't like it.

I think I've shown that I appreciate and attempt to respond to criticism, but what's with the "douchebag-chic" tone of certain people in this thread? I can take the heat, believe me, and I've learned a great deal from a number of direct, forthright critics here about fit and coherence. I do not, however, think that your legitimate questioning of my choices (why I chose a neat print over a textured grenadine) requires you to suggest that my tie is trash or that I wore this combination because I have no other options. Among regular posters at least, the best dressed people here--upr_crust, Claghorn, Stichy, EFV, Anden, EliodA, Cleav, et al--do not stoop to this level. I wonder if there's a correlation?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads