• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It will hit 90+ in the valley today (and then the temperature will fall off a cliff, apparently, tomorrow), so the question was: which linen suit to wear today? So I went with this one (and a different Panama, too):
The tie is from Drake's in a 9cm width that they don't seem to make any more. Unless I just can't find my way around the Drake's website (which is entirely possible), all their ties seem to be 8cm.
Suit: Bespoke Steed in Scabal Linen Shirt: Proper Cloth in DJA Sea Island Cotton Tie: Drake's Square: Kent Wang Shoes: Gaziano & Girling Hat: Brent Black/Pamana Hats Of The Pacific
Excellent. Have you per chance read 'Our man in Havana' by Graham Greene or seen the film adaptation starring Alec Guinness? :smarmy:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not pictured: Dark grey tropical wool trou, navy socks, peanut butter suede tassels.

Great jacket.

It will hit 90+ in the valley today (and then the temperature will fall off a cliff, apparently, tomorrow), so the question was: which linen suit to wear today? So I went with this one (and a different Panama, too):

The tie is from Drake's in a 9cm width that they don't seem to make any more. Unless I just can't find my way around the Drake's website (which is entirely possible), all their ties seem to be 8cm.

Suit: Bespoke Steed in Scabal Linen
Shirt: Proper Cloth in DJA Sea Island Cotton
Tie: Drake's
Square: Kent Wang
Shoes: Gaziano & Girling
Hat: Brent Black/Pamana Hats Of The Pacific

Nice suit. It's gonna be hot today. Exquisite Trimmings sometimes stocks both 9 cm and 8 cm width Drake's. A Suitable Wardrobe used to, but with 62" length. Otherwise I think you're looking at custom from them.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Have you per chance read 'Our man in Havana' by Graham Greene or seen the film adaptation starring Alec Guinness?
mwink[1].gif

Thank you. I read that many, many years ago. Haven't seen the film.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice suit. It's gonna be hot today. Exquisite Trimmings sometimes stocks both 9 cm and 8 cm width Drake's. A Suitable Wardrobe used to, but with 62" length. Otherwise I think you're looking at custom from them.

Thanks! I'll look more closely at the ET site. If I go custom, I would (and do) go with Sam Hober.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ On the ET site, in the size field, there's an arrow that let's you select different widths, but it's easy to miss, since there's often only one size.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Previous posters have mentioned Spectre's car, Alec Guinness, and that it's hot in California (although it's only around 89F here).

Out today in the midday sun today having an Ebenezer Scrooge moment and seeing Marley's ghost.

Brooks Brothers (Marks & Sparks era) two button darted navy chalk tropical worsted two button suit and PPBD shirt, Hardy Amies tie, Allen-Edmonds shoes, and the seldom seen in this group "Victorian Politician Pose".

Shirts with wide stripes always remind me of the shirts that Bernard Hepton wore when he played Toby Esterhase in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" with Alec Guinness. The stripes on the shirt, as well as the chalk stripes on the suit, show up better in this picture.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts with wide stripes always remind me of the shirts that Bernard Hepton wore when he played Toby Esterhase in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" with Alec Guinness. The stripes on the shirt, as well as the chalk stripes on the suit, show up better in this picture.

I've been trying to find that series on Netflix, Amazon, or, really, any streaming service to no avail. I think the pacing of the TV series was a much better fit to Le Carré's book than the 2011 movie.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same for me... until I bought another tie hanger. Then another. I did a recent cull and I still have nearly 100 ties.

Roughly 400 ties and still I cull every now and then. I use hangers and they take up a whole closet. Extremely heavy too. No, I don't have a problem, I can quit whenever I want to...

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spring has arrived for sure in Geneva and these are the last days for heavy fabrics like this. Time to rotate the wardrobe.

Suit: Tombolini
Shirt: Zegna
Tie: Berg & Berg (very fond of their ties in Panama silk)
PS: Shibumi
Shoes: C&J

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
400 ties? There have to be some that haven't seen the sun in years.

Sometimes I go home from work during lunch just to switch ties.

No, not really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads