• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! (Although I suspect you've just been mesmerized by the beard...)
I can be mesmerized by my own beard. Don't need yours. It's probably the knit.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First post. Be Gentle please.
Not bad, really, but you'll probably get some **** for the velvet.
nod[1].gif

Might consider up and in a bit *on the pants. Is the shirt white or blue?

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid look. Velvet indeed looks a bit out of place...but a classic look from the color perspective.

kscott10165

Reaction score
I didn't end up wearing that jacket to the office. I don't normally like to wear velvet unless it's cold and I'm going out for the night. Here is a closer pic of the shirt and tie.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

First post. Be Gentle please.
Welcome! I'm generally not a fan of that style of stripes for shirts, and the dots on an already patterned tie are too busy for my taste. Those are matters of personal preference, though, and you may not get consensus on them from the assembled commenters. The jacket, however, has no relation to the rest of the items. A navy sportcoat (or other color if so inclined) in a hopsack or serge or some other jacketing fabric would go much better.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a bit more casual, but, hey, I've got a tie on. (Collar on the shirt is a totally unlined, old-school USA-made BB, so it's a bit rumpled and I kind of like it like that.)

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a bit more casual, but, hey, I've got a tie on. (Collar on the shirt is a totally unlined, old-school USA-made BB, so it's a bit rumpled and I kind of like it like that.)

[...]

I’m assuming you’re open to commentary. I’m limiting my remarks to the trouser fit.

These trousers are unflattering on you, simply because they’re just too small.

(1) Look how tight they are in the crotch; ‘stress lines’ look like the pants would rip if you sat down.
(2) They’re so tight across the abdomen that we can see the individual knuckles of your left hand in the pocket.
(3) Something’s not right with this creasing under the left buttock; can’t tell what exactly from this angle.
(4) They’re too short. We shouldn’t be able to see your socks when you’re standing up straight in laced shoes like those.

It’s been said before but it’s worth repeating: you’d benefit immensely from wearing suspenders. Depending on where you live, it usually only costs $10-20 to add the needed buttons; barring that get clip-ons. In any event, size up, get a proper hem length and suspenders of whatever sort, and you’ll see a world of difference.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Thanks for the notes. For what it's worth, I am wearing suspenders. In fact, I've given up wearing belts altogether. I just sew the buttons in myself.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the notes. For what it's worth, I am wearing suspenders.

Excellent! In that case you can easily size up so the trousers are hanging from your shoulders not your waist which can make a world of difference.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks for the notes. For what it's worth, I am wearing suspenders.

Excellent! In that case you can easily size up so the trousers are hanging from your shoulders not your waist which can make a world of difference.

Cheers,

Ac

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@PCK, what are those shoes? St Crispin's?
EG on the 888 last?

Gaziano & Girling Westminster ... TG73 ... Vintage Burgundy ... a color that they sadly no longer offer ... and which has been replaced by a crappier Burgundy or the much too purple Rioja ... the Vintage Burgundy was a great shade of classic oxblood.

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would like to solicit some help here...I typically do not wear sweaters under my jackets, just a personal preference. Tried this out today and was initially happy but now that I'm seeing it something seems off. Is it the borders of the cardigan or is it just a bad color for the rest of the fit (it's a dark navy though it appears black in the photo)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads