• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Have you tried suspenders/braces? Not only do they allow you to get the waistband up where it should be, but trousers usually drape better too if you don't use a belt. It's better for trousers to hang from the shoulders than from the waist, to quote an old saying.

Cheers,

Ac

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi again gents

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Koala-T - I tried to search for a thread I think that was started by Vox that was a guide to City vs Country. It is some informative information Hopefully someone has the link and can post it to help you out. Another suggestion, why not post a few of the fits where you think you are mastering the 'basics' and people can see if your foundation is solid. I say this because I think every fit I've seen of yours hasn't been a toned down/basic fit.

Is it just me or has Caustic Man upped his caustic nature as of recent? Getting kind of old :confused:

Edit: Nevermind, found the link! https://web.archive.org/web/2012021...oughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners

Thank you very much. Good idea!

A combination that is much less troubling for me than it is for you.

I knew you'd never admit you were wrong. I feel honored just that you've admitted I was right.

@Koala-T

Here's Vox's coherent combinations (city to country continuum + color theory) archived thread - probably the single most important guiding principle I've come across for me personally: http://web.archive.org/web/20120711...oughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners

Here's another thread on color theory only - i haven't read it, I don't know if it's any good: http://www.styleforum.net/t/447796/color-theory-revisited

And thank you, sir!

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, how did you figure out which colors to pair together, and which not to?

And I'm posting here a lot lately, because I'm trying to get better at this (preferably civilly), and more than one person suggested this was a good way to do it.

Good on you for posting. I'd recommend taking a look at the pictures on the following sites to get a feel for what colours work well together and then apply it to your own wardrobe.

http://www.pikore.com/bluebrownandgrey
http://www.pikore.com/britishstyle2012
http://lnsee.tumblr.com/archive
http://weareallalright.com/archive#_=_

Remember - baby steps
smile.gif

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll work on the color thing, but I'm in a bit of a crunch on the hips. Can't get rid of them, and can't wear high rise trousers. My waist is where my waist is. I realize this jacket is short, but other than wearing longer jackets, what are my options?

So, how did you figure out which colors to pair together, and which not to?

And I'm posting here a lot lately, because I'm trying to get better at this (preferably civilly), and more than one person suggested this was a good way to do it.

In addition to the suggestions about colour coordination by @nabilmust , @rms340 et. al., I'd advise you to pay extra attention because of your muted, reddish complexion. Many 'standard' high contrast combinations (like SVB's charcoal suit + navy tie) will not look good on you, because they will be too overpowering. Warmer, muted colours will work on you. See this quick photoshop comparison (you can even keep the green in your PS, if you like):

Why can't you wear high rise trousers? Take for example your fit that's featured on the front page. Now it's true that I only paid attention in biology class when we were discussing the reproductive system, but I do believe your natural waist is around the belly button and that's a fair bit higher than in your pic. Exhibit nr. 2 attempts to show the effect of higher rise in combination with a slightly longer jacket. Also, pink shirts look good on Mediterrenean complexions, not with your slightly pinkish skin tone. A light blue is the safer bet here. The orange PS on the other hand, does work very well. The blue shoes...
crazy.gif

@Caustic Man indeed seems to have become more caustic of late. But I wouldn't take offense, every court needs its jester. And in between the lines there's often quite useful commentary, even if the style of delivery may not be to your liking.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

K-T When I first posted here I was disillusioned by the feedback. 'My fits r awsm, these guys r just being deliberately harsh' I thought. Looking back, I can see that they were really being tactful. Hardest thing for a newbie here is realizing that he doesn't know that he doesn't know how to do MC.

Good place to start, imo, is dress (and post!) in no more than two colors and no more than two patterns. Dial it right back and focus on fit, and take feedback in good faith & without being defensive.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not delivery, it's de-Caustic Man. (Not sure if you have DiGiorno commercials in Indonesia)

No, I have no idea what you're talking about
confused.gif

@Koala-T , Ac2's suggestion of braces could well be the solution to your trouser problem.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pliny, absolutely classic ensemble. Cappelli tie, right? I love that neat.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pliny, absolutely classic ensemble. Cappelli tie, right? I love that neat.

If it is a Cappelli I’d love to know which one (I’m hoping the color is that shown in the first picture, not the second).

Cheers,

Ac

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The above Photoshop exercise is golden. A totally convincing demonstration of how some small adjustments can lift an outfit.

Koala, I'd also recommend that you pay particular attention to well-thumbed fits and ask yourself in each case, "why was it so popular?"

As an exercise, check out Urban-C's fit quoted just above. It's simple, but subtly impeccable. Colours: solid navy jacket block acts as a background to the tie and shoes (close match) and trousers (much lighter, but similar underlying brown tone - effectively the tie, shoes and pants belong to the same colour "family").

Against these understated brown tones we have the inspired choice of a light lilac shirt - just different enough from both the browns and the blue to create a third colour block, yet without drawing undue attention to itself. Finally: a contrasting little dash of orange in the square - like the signature in the corner of a painting. Small but significant.

Now check the fit of his clothes. Perfect. No creasing, no lapel bowing, no shoulder sagging, no bulging. Trouser cuffs hit the shoes at precisely the right spot. Just a sliver of shirt cuff peeping out from the ends of his jacket sleeves. Lapels extend 60% of the way across the chest panels, and tie width matches the lapel width. Both match the trouser cuff height. Textbook stuff all the way.

I couldn't have made that analysis a year ago, but dedicated attention to the fine details of highly-regarded ensembles on these pages has gradually taught me how to separate the merely good from the excellent. It's also allowed me to lend a much more critical eye to what I see in my mirror in the morning.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads