• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Ah, as with women then
wink.gif

@Bill Dlwgosh OTOH, if you would post here, people can give you advice which collar to get to make the points fit under the lapels.

Eliod, I think my post was less a question of how to accomplish getting my points under the lapel and more, as I look at good ol' 'Dom' looking like a boss, wondering out loud to myself if I really need to get those points under the lapels. My phrasing may have been a very slight rib at Claghorn but only after letting it be known that I'm semi-sober at best tonight as I take a very short break from the world.

As far as posting here, my diminutive wardrobe offers few opportunities to do do so currently. I look forward to changing that in time but as was mentioned, the 'other' thread is probably better suited for that topic.

smile.gif

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think you should try and copy Don... the 60s weren't the best decade for style IMO

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think you should try and copy Don... the 60s weren't the best decade for style IMO
I'm not saying that I plan to start buying my wardrobe straight out of the 60's but I am saying that, 60's or not, the points on 'Dom's' shirt hardly look dated to me.

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I plan to start buying my wardrobe straight out of the 60's but I am saying that, 60's or not, the points on 'Dom's' shirt hardly look dated to me.
Well, in that particular case, it's probably not reasonable to expect the points to fit under the collar—at that angle, they'd have to be laughably long. However, a narrower point collar like that limits the size of the tie knot and the tie you can reasonably wear, and that skinny tie is probably one of the 60's elements you don't want to be copying.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Well, in that particular case, it's probably not reasonable to expect the points to fit under the collar—at that angle, they'd have to be laughably long. However, a narrower point collar like that limits the size of the tie knot and the tie you can reasonably wear, and that skinny tie is probably one of the 60's elements you don't want to be copying.

There are taller guys than me who are regulars in here but at ~6"3 I end up tying my knots at the fairly narrow end of the blade and get smaller knots I guess. I wonder if a (slightly in my case) taller guy will end up with smaller knots on a standard length tie by default and if there's a corresponding collar strategy. Again, I realize the GNAT is more suited to these lines of chatter.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What color is the suit, SVB?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like Bill after he's been drinking.

But he's damn right collar points!

Don't stop posting until you get new collars (and there is no need to rush this. The world out there doesn't care if you don't look as good as you could with hidden collar points). There are other elements that you could probably work on as you build up your shirt collection.

Last edited:

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
I like Bill after he's been drinking.

But he's damn right collar points!

Don't stop posting until you get new collars (and there is no need to rush this. The world out there doesn't care if you don't look as good as you could with hidden collar points). There are other elements that you could probably work on as you build up your shirt collection.

No, there's no rush. I'm playing a bit of a long game. Right now my focus is shoes and ties as I'd like to thin out some before spending much on tailored clothes which won't affect shoes and ties. Next year I'll be taking 12-18 months off to go back to school, kind'a, and I trust myself to lose 20-25 pounds once I have the downtime and control of my schedule. I don't see much point in buying tailored clothing before an anticipated weight loss. Of course I won't let my shirts being forward point keep me from posting when the occasion arises especially as I like a good forward point and am still not convinced that a hidden point/spread collar is 'optimal' by definition for me. Regarding brands, vendors and values I do my homework, I've also found a local tailor I'm looking forward to commissioning from and if that doesn't work out then Samuelsohn OTR does me very very well for SCs and Pants (and is a great relative value in Canada). I don't yet have my backup plan for suits but I only aim to have 2, maybe 3 and am sure I'll figure it out. I'm getting a handle on considerations regarding various traditions and after a lot of years in art school I'd hope I don't need anyone to teach me what colors pair well with Navy Blue or Charcoal.

As an immigrant waiting potentially another 2 years on pending residency up here, I'm in a bit of a limbo and am finding that working a ton at my day job to fund a wardrobe and researching those wardrobe choices along with some forum chatter is giving me a bit of a project to pass the time until my options really open up up here. But no, there's no rush.

smile.gif

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are taller guys than me who are regulars in here but at ~6"3 I end up tying my knots at the fairly narrow end of the blade and get smaller knots I guess. I wonder if a (slightly in my case) taller guy will end up with smaller knots on a standard length tie by default and if there's a corresponding collar strategy. Again, I realize the GNAT is more suited to these lines of chatter.
I'm 6"5 and I have no problem with regular length ties (150cm); the solution is higher rise pants.
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Harrisons Moonbeam, Luxire, Roda, 知らないブランド, Saint Crispin's
Very nice, nut imo either tie too dark or shoes too light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads