• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That tie knot is way too big for that collar, and that shirt is too dark for the rest of your outfit. A darker blue shirt like that is best worn with lighter jackets, and preferably not with a navy tie.

This tie always knots huge and it's just a FIH. The shirt I don't I would care for with a lighter jacket but worth trying. Thanks for feedback.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, darker shirt + light jacket is not a good look IMO. I might have gone with a darker jacket in this case, but definitely not lighter.

It is though. I'm not going to dig around for examples, but it's common knowledge that a slightly darker or more saturated shirt looks great with let's say a tan or cream suit. Much better than lets say a white or pale blue shirt, especially if you have a lighter complexion, but that doesn't mean it looks bad with a darker complexion. Darker shirts also look best when worn tieless. For example, a navy linen shirt with a casual tan cotton suit can look fantastic.

Anyways, I'm sure we can agree that when your tie, shirt and jacket are all very similar, like in Justin's outfit today, it's not a good a look.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with MF on this one, although I think of such looks as casual and tieless.
I almost wore an indigo shirt with a tan jacket today, in fact, but the 91deg high had me ditch the jacket. I may be casting aspersions, but I believe EFV has used dark shirts with light jackets to good effect, as has NOBD, I think.

Last edited:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a tick, we're allowed to have opinions?

Basic crap from me today. Monday meetings.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is though. I'm not going to dig around for examples, but it's common knowledge that a slightly darker or more saturated shirt looks great with let's say a tan or cream suit. Much better than lets say a white or pale blue shirt, especially if you have a lighter complexion, but that doesn't mean it looks bad with a darker complexion. Darker shirts also look best when worn tieless. For example, a navy linen shirt with a casual tan cotton suit can look fantastic.

Anyways, I'm sure we can agree that when your tie, shirt and jacket are all very similar, like in Justin's outfit today, it's not a good a look.

Generally agree but let's keep the saturated shirt in the blue color family. There are rare fits with knit ties but it is a very tricky look to pull off. I prefer a tie-less look.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Variety. The spice of strife.
:)

(ninja edit)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads