• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heschung Thuya VS Paraboot Michael - the ultimate shoedown for some ugly shoes (sizing, style, etc).

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in with my fit experience on the Michaels. I bought a 44.5 last year and probably would have returned them for being too snug if I hadn't already tried the 45 around the house for a day and found them too loose. When I'm standing still, my big toe just barely touches the front of the shoe. When you are walking around in them it feels like your feet are going to be in immense pain within an hour, but I swear I've worn these things all over town, biked in them, and they are indeed comfortable. But yes, there is zero stretch length-wise. If they feel genuinely tight, size up.
Hi - hope you don't mind my asking. I just bought them in 45.5 but usually take a 46. However, tried the 46's in store and my feet were sliding around in them as I walked. However, with the 45.5's it's much as you described. Standing still, they are fine. Snug but with some room to wiggle toes. Walking though, my big toe presses against the top-side of the shoe and with any other shoe, I'd not consider keeping them as it flies in the face of everything I've learned about buying shoes. Fingers width at the front etc.

However, I've read in several places that this is actually what the fit of the Michael is supposed tobe like and they 'mould to your feet' etc and in a few days/weeks they will be the most comfortable shoes known to man. Is this consistent with your experience?

krudsma

Reaction score
Hi - hope you don't mind my asking. I just bought them in 45.5 but usually take a 46. However, tried the 46's in store and my feet were sliding around in them as I walked. However, with the 45.5's it's much as you described. Standing still, they are fine. Snug but with some room to wiggle toes. Walking though, my big toe presses against the top-side of the shoe and with any other shoe, I'd not consider keeping them as it flies in the face of everything I've learned about buying shoes. Fingers width at the front etc.

However, I've read in several places that this is actually what the fit of the Michael is supposed tobe like and they 'mould to your feet' etc and in a few days/weeks they will be the most comfortable shoes known to man. Is this consistent with your experience?
I think the snugness being the intended fit is more because the French just wear tighter shoes than Americans; I think claims that they mold to your feet, like raw denim does to your legs, are a little overblown. Perhaps that's true for some people who wear them way more frequently than I do. Mine are indeed comfortable - that is, they don't give me any discomfort to wear - but not as comfortable as my Avignons. It's possible that after another year or so of regular wear (I wear them maybe once a week during the spring and fall) they'll break in even more.

I'd say that if you're going to be disappointed if they don't change substantially after breaking them in (as some are, from what I've read), you might want to skip them and see if Heschungs are better. I love mine and don't consider them too tight, but they are definitely snugger than any of my other shoes. You basically need to overcome the anxiety that they're too small, which will prevent you from wearing them and thus, breaking them in.

One tip: When lacing them up, I put my heel on the ground with my toes up in the air, then tie the laces nice and tight. I find this keeps my toe from jamming into the front of the shoe.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Thanks for such a thoughtful response! I'll try your tip, as I've noticed my heel is still slipping slightly which brings my foot forward when I walk. (Arguably all of this sounds like they simply don't fit me, but I have been coveting this particular shoe for a while.)

Avingnon's in 46 were immediately comfortable and still are, so that has been on my mind whilst trying the Michael's on.

In any case, I may go for it trying to break them in daily for the next fortnight and if they simply don't fit put them on ebay.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for such a thoughtful response! I'll try your tip, as I've noticed my heel is still slipping slightly which brings my foot forward when I walk. (Arguably all of this sounds like they simply don't fit me, but I have been coveting this particular shoe for a while.)

Avingnon's in 46 were immediately comfortable and still are, so that has been on my mind whilst trying the Michael's on.

In any case, I may go for it trying to break them in daily for the next fortnight and if they simply don't fit put them on ebay.

if they are new (or new-ish) i would expect them to slip a little bit. i have a pair of heshung's and they slipped a bit in the heel until broken in (and weirdly felt a bit tight in the toe at the same time ha). now they are incredibly comfortable and i have no issues in feeling like they are too small nor like my heel is going to slide out.

BCAFF5B2-2D11-49EC-9275-8405C72BBCE8.jpeg

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
Here's a riff on the Tyrolean you don't see every day. Orban's "Derby Wallaby Norvegien." Goodyear welted Norwegian welted + lug sole. Stout brown leather. A very nice shoe for the price, especially on sale (like 120 Euros).
Orbans.jpg

Last edited:

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
Kleman Padror in Cognac suede. These probably have 50 days on them and they are definitely nigh-on indestructible - soles show almost no wear whatsoever. I find the Padror fits spot on for size for me (typically US 9D and wearing Klemans in EU42). They look smallish on the foot, and they are relatively short for the size, but that's a function of the boxy toe box - they're the opposite of an elongated last. The suede is not exactly high quality - the pair I have in grain veg tan leather is far nicer -- but for beaters they fit the bill. And they're very, very comfortable.
Kleman.jpg

thelonius

Reaction score
How about Kleman https://kleman-france.com/fr/padror-derbies-tabac-ka721ek-649.html?utm_medium=none&utm_source=OPUMO
Read it up on Opumo. Similar style. Made in France and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
They, Kleman, look OK-ish, but I suppose on this thread we're attached to GY welting, at the very least, not cemented. The price is not the same.
For me, both Paraboot and Heschung make excellent shoes and boots. Heschung is quality-wise slightly higher perhaps and their choice of leathers excellent. But Paraboot are great.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They, Kleman, look OK-ish, but I suppose on this thread we're attached to GY welting, at the very least, not cemented. The price is not the same.
For me, both Paraboot and Heschung make excellent shoes and boots. Heschung is quality-wise slightly higher perhaps and their choice of leathers excellent. But Paraboot are great.
The sad thing is that they are curretly not making Thuya anymore. Hopefully it comes back again soon.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clothingg