• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hemrajani in Philadelphia: Which tailor? Alberto Khem or N Rusty

ug_philly

Reaction score
Hey all, hope everyone's doing well.

Gonna take my first dip into the market, and hemrajani is visiting Philadelphia in a couple of weeks. They have two options for tailors, a Mr. Alberto Khem and a Mr. N Rusty. I was wondering if any members had any experience with any of them? This will actually be among my first suits and was really hoping for a good tailor to walk me through the process, and being of a big & tall physique, take accurate measurements.

Thank you everyone for your precious time
smile.gif

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ug_philly
Hey all, hope everyone's doing well.

Gonna take my first dip into the market, and hemrajani is visiting Philadelphia in a couple of weeks. They have two options for tailors, a Mr. Alberto Khem and a Mr. N Rusty. I was wondering if any members had any experience with any of them? This will actually be among my first suits and was really hoping for a good tailor to walk me through the process, and being of a big & tall physique, take accurate measurements.

Thank you everyone for your precious time
smile.gif

When I was first researching Hemrajani, I found the SF/AAAC consensus to be that Joe is by far their best guy for fitting and stylistic advice. I haven't met anyone else, but I can confirm that Joe is an excellent guy to work with.

Consider making a trip to NYC when Joe is in town. You may end up with significantly better results.

ltontheqt

Reaction score
I had a shirt jacket, not a suit, made by Joe's operation. Measurements were taken in Philadelphia by, if I recall correctly, Alberto. The piece fits well and I love it. For me, it was a matter of convenience. I saved a trip to NY.

ug_philly

Reaction score
When I was first researching Hemrajani, I found the SF/AAAC consensus to be that Joe is by far their best guy for fitting and stylistic advice. I haven't met anyone else, but I can confirm that Joe is an excellent guy to work with.

Consider making a trip to NYC when Joe is in town. You may end up with significantly better results.
I agree with you wholeheartedly (at least based on what I read). Unfortunately, Joe is not making a trip until June. I am beginning an overseas job at the start of July. So I can't have my fitting with Joe in NY. I thought I may get a first fitting done in Phili, and I have a short trip coming up to LA in June, I'd drop by with the suits at their store.

I had a shirt jacket, not a suit, made by Joe's operation. Measurements were taken in Philadelphia by, if I recall correctly, Alberto. The piece fits well and I love it. For me, it was a matter of convenience. I saved a trip to NY.
Thanks for the mention ltontheqt. If I don't hear from anyone else I'll take the risk with Alberto.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
For what it's worth, and I should take the time to do some photos, there are two good options in the city for canvassed, high-level MTM suits.

One is Domenico's on Frankford Ave. in the Northeast (by Cottman). I had him do a pair of pants, which are great. Holland & Sherry. Mr. Maglio said he drafts an individual pattern for jackets, and seemed willing to make adjustments, so it's almost bespoke. Maybe $1000 for the (limited) fabrics in stock, roughly $1300-$1800 for H&S. He's a veteran of high-level New York operations from the '50s.

I had a jacket made by Tom Lettieri, who has a factory far in south Philly on Bancroft St. He's a great guy, who's had a factory for something like 40 years. He did CMT with Porter & Harding fabric I ordered from the U.K. He's very accommodating with requests. It's made-to-measure, but he's willing to make multiple adjustments. Prices run about a couple hundred less than Domenico.

The style for both is traditional American, but they seem to be customer-focused.

Both of these gentlemen enjoy their work and talking about suits. They also hearken back to a time when Philadelphia was the leading garment-producing city in the world. They work with people who've been practicing their skills for decades.

shirtmaven listed phone numbers for both in an earlier post. It's a shame that there isn't more on this forum about both, because they are great guys who know their stuff and offer amazing value, compared with Hemrajani.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
I should add that I don't really know much about mytailor. I just think there's some advantage to working with local tailors, who are available all of the time, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads