• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Ralph Lauren tag?

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because I wanted to establish where it was made. It's a known fact that the Chinese, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Indonesian, Indian, etc. contractors that make apparel for the big names like RL, Emporio Armani, Adidas, Nike, Reebok, Burberry, etc., are also making the counterfeits. Known as unauthorised second-shift production. You're often buying the same thing, whether you buy it at a real RL store or some vendor on Ebay or Taobao or a web store in Panama..Some polos are authorised by RL, others are not.

^ this

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Because I wanted to establish where it was made. It's a known fact that the Chinese, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Indonesian, Indian, etc. contractors that make casual apparel for the big names like RL, Emporio Armani, Adidas, Nike, Reebok, Burberry, etc., are also making the counterfeits. Known as unauthorised second-shift production. You're often buying the same thing, whether you buy it at a real RL store or some vendor on Ebay or Taobao or a web store in Panama..Some polos are authorised by RL, others are not.

But obviously if you buy it from a real RL store, then it's authorized. Right?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh! is this like a custom? lol
I didn't take a picture of me wearing it, but if you guys want I will tonight

Yes it is a custom. Everyone posts pics of them wearing things they bought, or what they've worn recently etc..

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But obviously if you buy it from a real RL store, then it's authorized. Right?

Yup, you'll be paying a lot more money for it as well, but you'll be happy in the knowledge you bought it at the real Ralph Lauren store and not on Ebay. However if there's any difference in the quality of materials and workmanship, probably not. It's a polo shirt, there's any number of factories in Asia that can make quality polo shirts. Many of whom are sub-contractors to the likes of RL.

How it works is: Ralph Lauren goes to their Sri Lankan contractor. 'We want 10,000 PRL "Dual Match" shirts made, at say $8 USD a piece' Factory goes ahead and makes the 10,000 shirts, but then runs a second unauthorised line that makes another 10,000 identical shirts, that RL doesn't know about. They can sell out of the back-door, that are usually sold on Ebay, market stalls, web stores, etc. There's also seconds and rejects as well, they'll be disposed of in a similar manner.

It's actually quite profitable for the Asian factories to do this as well. Because RL is paying them the minimum to get their shirts made, lowest tender possible. The factory may only break-even on the original order,

Last edited:

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yup, you'll be paying a lot more money for it as well, but you'll be happy in the knowledge you bought it at the real Ralph Lauren store and not on Ebay. However if there's any difference in the quality of materials and workmanship, probably not. It's a polo shirt, there's any number of factories in Asia that can make quality polo shirts. Many of whom are sub-contractors to the likes of RL.
How it works is: Ralph Lauren goes to their Sri Lankan contractor. 'We want 10,000 PRL "Dual Match" shirts made, at say $8 USD a piece' Factory goes ahead and makes the 10,000 shirts, but then runs a second unauthorised line that makes another 10,000 identical shirts, that RL doesn't know about. They can sell out of the back-door, that are usually sold on Ebay, market stalls, web stores, etc. There's also seconds and rejects as well, they'll be disposed of in a similar manner.
It's actually quite profitable for the Asian factories to do this as well. Because RL is paying them the minimum to get their shirts made, lowest tender possible. The factory may only break-even on the original order,

What do you mean by "break-even"?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's the pic Ryback, eager to see how this fits you and suits you

gooter

Reaction score
I think Ryback may be the best troll I've ever seen.

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

If you want huge logos try this dress I happened upon whilst searching the bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RALPH-LAURE...?pt=US_Men_s_Dress_Shirts&hash=item46088b47d1
:rotflmao:

Now that's a fake!

And guys, the only reason I bought it with the big logo was because that's the only color I liked out of the selection.

I didn't purposefully go in there to buy one with a big logo. I originally went to the lacoste store to buy a polo from there, but after taking a closer look and trying them in I decided that RL looked nicer and had more quality than the lacoste, which, in my opinion, looked like a target polo with a croc logo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads