• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a "new" mid-life crisis car.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm considering giving in to my mid-life crisis impulses and upping the sex-appeal of my ride. I think it may be time to retire the Republo-Prius and I'm thinking of getting something different after the first of the year. I'd like to keep some perspective on this thing and keep the cost in the range of $30k or less (might stretch to $35k, but that's it). I haven't done much looking yet, but here's what I'm thinking:

Given my recent lifestyle change (no ****...read: divorce), practicality may not be my first consideration. While my commute is about 50 miles a day (20,000 per year all-in) and will be for the foreseeable future I'm pretty much over the practicality of the Prius/econocar and want something nicer. My kids are older and I don't necessarily need to haul their crap everywhere.

I'm willing to consider a nicer, low mileage (say <30K) used car to get the cost down (see below for some basic research in this area). I do need something that can be a daily driver, so vintage car is probably out.

I'm new to this and so I don't even know what my options for a newer car would be in this price range. If you suggest something, chances are I haven't considered it yet, so fire away.

As far as used goes I've found some CPO Mercedes SLK convertibles (2006 or later) with less than 30,000 miles and at least one BMW Z4 convertible (2006 with 16,000 miles). I don't know much about either of these models so I'd need some education on them. I'd consider either a sedan (5-series? E class?) or a coupe. Convertible is nice, but not necessary.

What should I be looking at new in this price range? Any other nice used models I should be looking at?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to have an 06 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG. Don't know if you can find them for 35 grand but I don't think they would cost too much more and it's well worth the price. Most fun I've ever had in a car.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I used to have an 06 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG. Don't know if you can find them for 35 grand but I don't think they would cost too much more and it's well worth the price. Most fun I've ever had in a car.

The most fun I ever had was in the back seat of a mid-70's Camaro, but that's a completely different thread.

Thanks for the input. I think that the SLK's I'm seeing at this price range are lower level than what you're talking about (280's and 350's mostly).

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
The most fun I ever had was in the back seat of a mid-70's Camaro, but that's a completely different thread.

Thanks for the input. I think that the SLK's I'm seeing at this price range are lower level than what you're talking about (280's and 350's mostly).

Well I was in High School when I had the AMG so there was plenty of that going on as well but it had a lot of torque and power and the 7 speed tiptronic was awesome. Never drove a 280 or 350 though so I can't comment on them.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be able to find a 2008 328i hardtop convertible in your price range. Other cars I would consider:

2007-2008 328i or 335i coupes.

2008 Audi A5

Late model MB CLK 350 coupe.

If you don't mind a US-made two-seater you can get a new Pontiac Solstice/Solstice GXP convertible.

A used Boxster is always an option as well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
What about something like a 2002-2003 Porsche 911? Can be had for reasonable prices if you do a good search and avoid the Turbo/GT models. They're quite reliable, timeless, and a whole lot of fun.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
My recommendations for both luxury and good performance:

Used BMW 3 Series

New or slightly used Lexus IS350

Used Porsche Boxster

On any choice of used, find an active web forum of owners and read up on any issues and how to get them fixed/warrantied, etc.

dave

Reaction score
http://porschedallas.parkplacetexas....426&store=1655

you know you need a porsche to pull the quality tail here in Plan-0 especially.
laugh.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming.

Originally Posted by edmorel
get a Smart car, you'll pick up tons of young, hippy chicks. they may be a bit hairy but whatevers.

I already own a Prius. I think if I was going for this demo I'd just keep what I have.
lol8[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What is the length of time you figure you'll drive this car? If it's not a real &quot;keeper,&quot; how about a less expensive domestic, that can really toss you back in the seat? Some of those Chrysler sedans with big engines, or what's the new Camaro going for? A used 'Vette?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
second the used 3-series. I dig the coupe personally, but such a great car (especially if you opt for the bigger engine)

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What is the length of time you figure you'll drive this car? If it's not a real "keeper," how about a less expensive domestic, that can really toss you back in the seat? Some of those Chrysler sedans with big engines, or what's the new Camaro going for? A used 'Vette?

Excellent question. In my saner moments I think I should keep what I have because I put so many miles on a car. For at least the next 3 years or so I'll likely have a massive commute that will eat up a car. This really argues against something at the higher end of my price range since it's going to be a 100K car by the time I get rid of it in 3 years.

I've actually considered going with a 3 year lease with extended mileage (22K/year or so) for this reason, because I'd probably be looking at changing again in 3 years.

I should probably just keep what I have a while longer...but I want one...
devil.gif

Nino_Grier

Reaction score
I'm new to these forums, but not a stranger to nice automobiles. If you want to have some fun, but also maintain relative luxury, a BMW M3 (possibly an e60 M5 - V10!) or 335i, Mercedes C55 or E55, Audi S4 or S6 (possibly an RS6 - twin-turbo V8!), or Porsche 911 or Cayman S can be had for that price. From Japan, an Infiniti M45 or G35/7 Coupe, Lexus IS350 or GS430, Nissan 370Z, or Mazdaspeed6. Domestically, a vette is never a bad choice, but also the SRT8 Charger or 300C. I'm sure I've left something out, but that list should be a good starting point for your research.

turboman808

Reaction score
At the rate I am going I will never get a car. I seriously cannot make up my mind. Part of me wants a brand new car, part of me wants a vintage car(won't take a depreciation hit), tons of one year old exotics in my budget. Hell I might even just wait a year.

It's hard to buy a car. Wish I had the money to buy 3-4 then it would be real easy.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads