• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headphones

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The Senns are out now. I also think its best to audition any headphones before purchase. Good advice there Andre.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Dick Olsher agrees with me on the Grados exceeding the Senns: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...erence_rs1.htm
I'd say good for you, if it wasn't the case that people like this are for the most part actually writing bullshit poetry-prose than reviews. Funny thing, audiophilia. Not entirely immune to kidding myself at times, but I'm much less influenced by intangibles and placebo. But that's just me. Comparative opinions between the 800 and 650 would be nice from owners of both - if possible, free of that Olsher-type nonsense. As I mentioned before the 800's look suspiciously similar to my old Qualias especially in the earcup department, and I had some major earcup problems in terms of never really being able to throw them on and just enjoy the sound - took a lot of shifting the phones around. And the Sony's were 'custom fitted' to boot (well kinda). So that's one particular area of concern I have, especially as I have no fit / comfort problems with the 650.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
So that's one particular area of concern I have, especially as I have no fit / comfort problems with the 650.

Hey if you like that sucked out midrange then more power to ya!
devil.gif

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
My HD650 is on it's way out and was wondering if it was worth springing for a pair of HD800's.

Senn sells all the parts you need to refurb a pair of HD650's. But my question is, why are they already on their way out? Even with abuse that included a copious amount of inter-continental travel my HD580s lasted a year before needing serious work.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Expanded comments from Mark:

A great example of what happens when someone who must be functionally deaf - $5k worth of mods to a digital source, blathering on about wires - feels the need to work hard to prove how golden his ears really are!

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Senn sells all the parts you need to refurb a pair of HD650's. But my question is, why are they already on their way out? Even with abuse that included a copious amount of inter-continental travel my HD580s lasted a year before needing serious work.

Three words: Office Chair Legs. And in fact, my own legs as well.

I use the Senn in my workroom, and so far the phone-hungry chairs have claimed a limited number of ATH-W5000 / K701 / HD650's.

Something like an HD25-1 would definitely be a better option to survive multiple chair maulings, but I can't stand the more durable, closed, DJ-style phones for any longer than an hour or so.

Obviously with the HD800 given the single-unit replacement cost I'd be looking to install some sort of headphone cable conduit or something. But I wouldn't entirely rule out another chairing.

A great example of what happens when someone who must be functionally deaf - $5k worth of mods to a digital source, blathering on about wires - feels the need to work hard to prove how golden his ears really are!
So true. It is amazing how many audiophiles who write prose like the above articles *are* deaf. But the biggest problem I have with these guys is that there's absolutely no consistency. It really is down to how they're feeling that day, how pretty / appealing the gear is, and how much it is / or has cost to mod.

I look at flagship audio as functional furniture which I can enjoy - and I do enjoy it... the new toy phase, the 7-month-itch, etc - but I'm under no illusions as to how little a genuine improvement most of the stuff I have is over things which are in the very low thousands, if not the hundreds.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Three words: Office Chair Legs. And in fact, my own legs as well.

So, what'cha break? Senn sells OEM cords, even earcups and headbands. And the prices are reasonable. I'd go that route before ditching the 650s.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/service...rt_part-finder

I look at flagship audio as functional furniture which I can enjoy - and I do enjoy it... the new toy phase, the 7-month-itch, etc - but I'm under no illusions as to how little a genuine improvement most of the stuff I have is over things which are in the very low thousands, if not the hundreds.

That is the only reasonable way to justify "hi end" audio (outside of speakers), with the caveat that much of the extreme boutique stuff performs far worse than mass-market audio gear.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
That is the only reasonable way to justify "hi end" audio (outside of speakers), with the caveat that much of the extreme boutique stuff performs far worse than mass-market audio gear.

rolleyes.gif

montyharding

Reaction score
So, what'cha break? Senn sells OEM cords, even earcups and headbands. And the prices are reasonable. I'd go that route before ditching the 650s.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/service...rt_part-finder

I'm aware of spare parts availability. In addition to the attendant actual problems, it's looking a little worse for wear. I'm not really into repairing these myself so I'd send it into Sennheiser and in that case, it'll be a notable portion of the cost of the phones.

Even now, sometimes it will refuse to play ball with cutouts - and the problem is beyond the plug - so it is ripe for replacement. When that happens, although I have been known to heave the system from the living room I usually whip out the Triport On-Ears as a substitute since it's the only other portable phone I have that I can physically stand to wear for more than an hour and still hear phone rings, etc. And although high-end Grado owners may recognise more than a hint of their phone in the Bose (well - if I blindfolded them, backed off the bass somewhat and told them it cost $1500
stirpot.gif
), it's aurally somewhat excruciating for me even with heavy bass-reduction EQ.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not an audiophile disclaimer<-

Shopped w/ the SO for some new inner ear headphones that actually fit.

ended up getting a pair of Victor-JVC HP-FXC50's on the recommendation of the SA.

heisenberg

Reaction score
Cheap and good in-ear mp3 player headphones - Sennheiser CX300-B.

I went through a few pairs of the Sony MDR-EX71s. They kept falling apart on me - one headphone would die, or the plastic around them would fall off. I finally wised up and got a better product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads