1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Greek yogurt

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Don Carlos, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more wrong. Fat doesn't make one fat, overeating does.
    Settle down, Beavis. Fat has more calories per gram than protein or carbohydrates do, and so you can pack more calories into a smaller item. A handful of almonds, for instance, is absurdly caloric. Fatty foods are not remotely filling, either. A lot of them are also salty, which increases your chances of eating too many of them. (Salted almonds are a big culprit here). Now, I would agree with you that 100 calories of X = 100 calories of Y, provided you are at a net surplus of 100 calories for the day. But you'd have a far easier time getting to that 100 calories if you ate fatty foods versus non-fatty foods -- with some notable exceptions, of course.

2. Don Carlos

Why is it good for your johnson and ballsack?

LOL, that's just a line I wanted to throw in there. Since I am part of the DT Everywhere campaign, I need to keep all threaks outside of DT a little bit DTesque.

3. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

One time I ate a bowl of baby carrots with half a tub of nonfat sour cream with French onion dip mixed in. It was coming out both ends for days.

And then what did you do with it?

4. Quatsch

Quatsch Well-Known Member

There is something better.

1% Whipped Friendship Cottage Cheese. Tasty with a way better macronutrient profile than Greek yogurt. That said, it does not taste as good, but is significantly better than other cottage cheese brands.

Where 2 kop?

5. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Well-Known Member

I just stocked up on Fage 0% plain yogurt; Whole Foods had 4 6oz containers for $5. So good in the morning or just whenever you start to feel hungry.

6. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

I prefer sheep yogurt. Most of the greek yogurt sold in stores tastes like toothpaste or something.

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Where 2 kop?

Grocery store. Depends on the location, very common in Northeast, couldn't really find it easily in Cali though.

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Grocery store. Depends on the location, very common in Northeast, couldn't really find it easily in Cali though.
    Friendship is based in NY so it'll be less likely to be distributed out West. 4% is still the king. You ever try the 2% with fruit in them? The pineapple ain't half bad.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Settle down, Beavis.

Fat has more calories per gram than protein or carbohydrates do, and so you can pack more calories into a smaller item. A handful of almonds, for instance, is absurdly caloric. Fatty foods are not remotely filling, either. A lot of them are also salty, which increases your chances of eating too many of them. (Salted almonds are a big culprit here).

Now, I would agree with you that 100 calories of X = 100 calories of Y, provided you are at a net surplus of 100 calories for the day. But you'd have a far easier time getting to that 100 calories if you ate fatty foods versus non-fatty foods -- with some notable exceptions, of course.

I believe the appropriate response is "duh". [​IMG]
    The solutions to the "issues" you mention are human behavioral ones, not the fault of the food.

As far as fatty foods being not remotely "filling" - you shouldn't eat to be "full"- when you get to that point you've typically already eaten too much.

10. Don Carlos

I believe the appropriate response is "duh". [​IMG]
    The solutions to the "issues" you mention are human behavioral ones, not the fault of the food.

As far as fatty foods being not remotely "filling" - you shouldn't eat to be "full"- when you get to that point you've typically already eaten too much.

Translation: you eatz almonds and have a fatty lardy wheatbelleh!!!!1

11. cl smooth

cl smooth Well-Known Member

a fridge necessity. trader joes is the truth.

12. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Well-Known Member

Just picked up some of that "Skyr." Love the nutritional facts as I HATE the taste of cottage cheese.. but the stuff is damn expensive, $2.50 a cup here at Central Market in Austin. There doesn't seem to be an alternative brand to this Siggi's stuff, but I'd certainly welcome it if the nutritional facts are similar. Will be eating it for my mid morning snack tomorrow- I'm sure it probably tastes pretty similar to greek yogurt, and I've eaten a lot of that lately.

13. Don Carlos

Just picked up some of that "Skyr." Love the nutritional facts as I HATE the taste of cottage cheese.. but the stuff is damn expensive, $2.50 a cup here at Central Market in Austin. There doesn't seem to be an alternative brand to this Siggi's stuff, but I'd certainly welcome it if the nutritional facts are similar. Will be eating it for my mid morning snack tomorrow- I'm sure it probably tastes pretty similar to greek yogurt, and I've eaten a lot of that lately.
    The first thing you will notice is that it is a lot thicker than Greek yogurt. It has a consistency somewhere between Greek yogurt and cream cheese. It also tastes creamier than Greek yogurt, and IMO, fuller. It's amazing that the fat-free version tastes as rich and creamy as it does. Technically, I think skyr is closer to a cheese than a yogurt on the spectrum of dairy products. It's almost like a mascarpone.

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Translation: you eatz almonds and have a fatty lardy wheatbelleh!!!!1

[​IMG]

15. yarnsforth

yarnsforth Well-Known Member

How about full-fat Greek Yogurt?

[​IMG]

Yes

16. Nathaniel72

Nathaniel72 Well-Known Member