• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giorgio Armani Men's Suit (Pic)

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dreadful looking rag - send it back or, if you can't, burn it.

What part of it is dreadful? Solid charcoal. Wide Peak lapels. Button stance is a bit high.

I don't understand all the ragging on this suit in the thread. Stylistically, I like it much more than a ton of other suits I see on here.

Last edited:

Hanqing Yang

Reaction score
I think the lapels look great!

I'm not as good as other people here at judging how well a suit fits, but I think the pants look a little long.

Sure, I will definitely do the pants if I decide to keep the suit.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders look a bit wide on you and it obviously needs tailoring, most notably the sleeves.

IChen

Reaction score
What part of it is dreadful? Solid charcoal. Wide Peak lapels. Good button stance...
I don't understand all the ragging on this suit in the thread. Stylistically, I like it much more than a ton of other suits I see on here.

I like the suit as well. I think it looks a lot better than the other suits with much thinner lapels. I think the suit fits alright (minus pants + long sleeves) on the OP as well. I don't see how the tags are faulty..The suit might be just half canvassed but like you said, stylistically it looks really nice.

And has GBR ever posted anything that doesn't contain the words dreadful, burn, ****, crap?

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you think it fit me?

I think it looks fine, aside from the sleeves and hem like you already noted.

Shoulders look ok, and it has a clean chest, length looks to be fine. The rest, be it tapering the trousers would be up to you.

Last edited:

Hanqing Yang

Reaction score
There's some cases here in Boston where Collezioni suits are better than the mainline Black Label. The Collezioni have better fabrics and are actually fully canvassed compared to half. But finding really nice Collezioni suits aren't easy either.
I'm guessing the suit is half canvassed, I haven't found a fused black label yet, but that's just me. I'm pretty sure the regular mainline black labels are now all half canvassed. And the higher lines are fully canvassed.

How can I know whether the suit is half-canvassed or fused?

Hanqing Yang

Reaction score
I think it looks fine, aside from the sleeves and hem like you already noted.
Shoulders look ok, and it has a clean chest, length looks to be fine. The rest, be it tapering the trousers would be up to you.

Thank you very much!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And has GBR ever posted anything that doesn't contain the words dreadful, burn, ****, crap?

Not that I can recall. :)

The suit is for sure the right size, just needs some basic alterations. The only thing left is for you to decide if you like the styling - it's a little unconventional, but it's Armani's signature style. Personally I think it looks good on you from what I can see. $430 for that suit seems like a solid deal to me.

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can I know whether the suit is half-canvassed or fused?

You should be able to feel a separate layer in the chest and lapels. The fabric should feel fairly thin when you grab it (separated) in the chest. I'm guessing it's at least half-canvassed, with a good chance of being fully canvassed. How do you know it's not fully canvassed?

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What part of it is dreadful? Solid charcoal. Wide Peak lapels. Button stance is a bit high.
It's not "dreadful" and if the maker was different the poster would likely be signing a different tune. SF groupthink at it's finest, there (rolls eyes).

Hanqing Yang

Reaction score
You should be able to feel a separate layer in the chest and lapels. The fabric should feel fairly thin when you grab it (separated) in the chest. I'm guessing it's at least half-canvassed, with a good chance of being fully canvassed. How do you know it's not fully canvassed?

I have a black-fleece suit that is fully canvassed. I can feel a separate layer under the fabric.

For this GA suit, I can't feel a separate layer, either in the chest or in the lapels, so I thought it might be a fused suit. However, I own another Brooks Brother 1818 Milano suit that was half-canvassed (mentioned on its website) and made in Italy but I can't feel a separate layer either. And I also own a fused Boss suit. The feeling for these three suits are pretty similar.

I guess I just cannot tell the difference between a fused suit and a half-canvassed suit.

Hanqing Yang

Reaction score
Not that I can recall.
smile.gif

The suit is for sure the right size, just needs some basic alterations. The only thing left is for you to decide if you like the styling - it's a little unconventional, but it's Armani's signature style. Personally I think it looks good on you from what I can see. $430 for that suit seems like a solid deal to me.

Thanks. I think I would keep it even if it maybe a fused suit! Have a good thanksgiving!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks good; wear it in good health!

Out of curiosity, what's the material composition? I remember seeing a solid charcoal Armani on myhabit that was a cashmere blend, but I missed out on it.

It's at least probably half canvassed, if not full. If you like the fit, keep it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads