• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yes that's a good point, I don't mean to be snarky at all. I am suprised though that the guidelines allow for different length sizes but not widths. :violin:

Yes and hats off to JS for all the leg work!

I don't know why, I'm not that tapped into the workflow in the factory, but if several makers have the same policy my guess is there's a technical reason in production for it.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still itching for that Hove, so I will wait for the swatches before I decide to go it alone on that MTO. Thanks for your help Leaves.

Someone should do that Oakham MTO, it would be nice to see that in real life...

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm still itching for that Hove, so I will wait for the swatches before I decide to go it alone on that MTO. Thanks for your help Leaves.

When they come in, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the oak vs espresso. Might do a one off MTO Uppingham in one or the other after all.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will probably do that Oakham MTO...but it may be pushed back a few months as I am now considering doing Ricardo Besteti's MTO Novocento line...for a few hundred bucks more I get a semi-bespoke shoe...

I'd also like to see the oak hatch vs espresso hatch. I think the hove would look good in a darker espresso. I saw this on an StC model and it looked great.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do, I'll take some comparison pics once I get the samples. @laufer thank you for the swatches.

Itsuo brought an interesting question, is burnishing possible on the hatch grain shoes? I noticed most of the pictures have only subtle burnishing (if any at all). Would it be something I can request on my MTO?

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Guess I'm out of the GMTO game here as well - need a G width and not likely to find a full group that need the same. Thems the breaks sometimes.

You wear a G? I thought you got away with F or do you need G for GG only?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Assuming G is one up in width of from their standard width (I sometimes get confused about what letter is assigned to the notional 'normal'), yes, G width for G&G only. To get their standard width to work I can size up from a UK9 to a UK 9.5, and it works okay (this is what I did for my Wigmores), but a UK9 in a wider fitting would be ideal (per Dean at the last Toronto trunk show). E- width seems to work very well for me in EG 82 and 888 in a UK9.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RogerP
It looks like the F width is for you. E is normal, F is wide, G is extra wide.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Assuming G is one up in width of from their standard width (I sometimes get confused about what letter is assigned to the notional 'normal'), yes, G width for G&G only. To get their standard width to work I can size up from a UK9 to a UK 9.5, and it works okay (this is what I did for my Wigmores), but a UK9 in a wider fitting would be ideal (per Dean at the last Toronto trunk show). E- width seems to work very well for me in EG 82 and 888 in a UK9.
Sounds like we wear the same size. What do you wear in Vass?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
If E width on EG works for you, then there is no reason why standard G&G E fitting won't fit? Or does EG labels their US sizes in D, and UK in E...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Except I was fitted by Dean in a UK9 E width in a couple different G&G lasts and they were all too narrow and tight around the instep. Not by a lot, but enough that they simply did not fit in that size. Sizing up by a half to UK9.5 solved both issues, but at the cost of un-needed length. A decent fit, but not the ideal. Dean did not recommend that route. So it's F width for me in G&G, and E width for me in EG, both in a UK 9. Now, I haven't yet had the opportunity to actually try an F width G&G because pretty much no retailers stock that width, whereas many stock EG in an E width. And if ordering a pair in that width is going to attract any kind of a premium over standard retail RTW, then there probably aren't many G&G shoes in my future. I LOVE the look of their shoes, but fit is my first and foremost purchase criterion.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Quote:
Except I was fitted by Dean in a UK9 E width in a couple different G&G lasts and they were all too narrow and tight around the instep. Not by a lot, but enough that they simply did not fit in that size. Sizing up by a half to UK9.5 solved both issues, but at the cost of un-needed length. A decent fit, but not the ideal. Dean did not recommend that route. So it's F width for me in G&G, and E width for me in EG, both in a UK 9. Now, I haven't yet had the opportunity to actually try an F width G&G because pretty much no retailers stock that width, whereas many stock EG in an E width. And if ordering a pair in that width is going to attract any kind of a premium over standard retail RTW, then there probably aren't many G&G shoes in my future. I LOVE the look of their shoes, but fit is my first and foremost purchase criterion.
I have a GG Cambridge in 9F but that's about it: http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/colle...ts/gaziano-girling-cambridge-in-vintage-cedar Maybe Nick has some, he used to stock F.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads