• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Due to popular request, here is my scanlation of the EG Dover dissection (from June issue of MEN'S EX). Again, I attached a crisper image below.

Enjoy
smile.gif

5718734515_e2ddc6defb_b.jpg

5718743221_72fbefe87d_z.jpg

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Most luxury goods with the exception of watches and jewellery tends to be far higher priced in Asia, sometimes to do with luxury goods taxes and sometimes just because the brand is damn greedy and own all the retail outlets. Take LV for example, there is no Luxury goods tax in HK nor any Duty or standard sales tax, yet the price can be slightly higher than the regular UK retail price. If you buy in the UK you will get it 20% off once the VAT is removed. There is no way to justify that except greed, not being content with the fact that HK accounts for large % of their sales, they ramp up the price. Yes retail rent is high here, but so is 5th Avenue, Champs Elysees (however you spell it) and Bond St, likely higher I would guess plus higher staff costs and for sure higher profits taxes.

Hey, if you can sell something for 10.5 k and not 9 k, who would sell it for 9 k?
Anyway, even if U VAT is 17.5% or 20%, you would never get the exact same amount due to local agents wanting a cut for their expenses etc.

jamestct

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KlezmerBlues
Thank you for a great thread! Are there any good comparison shots between the different G&G lasts and EG lasts? Would I be right in assuming that the G&G lasts are a bit more elongated, and that: DG70≈82; TG73≈888; GG06≈202; MH71≈606?

I'm pretty sure all G&G lasts are similar to the EG 888, differing only in toe shape. All G&G lasts therefore fit the same, unlike the various EG lasts.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is my Weston scanlation (from June issue MEN's EX). This shoe won the top score among the 4 (including an Alden shell). Once I'm done, I might compile the scanlations and post it in a new, more appropriate thread. For now, enjoy!
smile.gif

5723372280_30e51dc73e_b.jpg

5723374584_985cfc48a5_z.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ This is awesome. Thanks Nutcracker.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nutcracker
Thanks Jorge. I'll think about translating the other pages if I can squeeze in some time
smile.gif

JM Weston got top marks for quality leather inside out, the accuracy of the upper stitching, using old-school construction method such as the midsole cut with a fuller/groove (?), flexible midsole made of split leather, a comfortable fitting last, and being the most inexpensive one from the crop also helped. In Japan, Golf costs 98,000 yen ($1200 USD), vs 137,550 ($1700) for EG Dover, and a whopping 155,000 yen ($1900) for G&G St. James.

side note, you live in Taipei, glad to see my fellow countryman once a while
laugh.gif

Jorge

Reaction score
Thanks for the very informative posts Nutcracker. Well done.

jamaican

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
You're thinking that G&G is pocketing the difference?

rethink!

Not thinking that... had assumed that it was a matter of customs combined with upcharge. Mr Iyorito says otherwise, fair enough. J

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Most luxury goods with the exception of watches and jewellery tends to be far higher priced in Asia, sometimes to do with luxury goods taxes and sometimes just because the brand is damn greedy and own all the retail outlets. Take LV for example, there is no Luxury goods tax in HK nor any Duty or standard sales tax, yet the price can be slightly higher than the regular UK retail price. If you buy in the UK you will get it 20% off once the VAT is removed. There is no way to justify that except greed, not being content with the fact that HK accounts for large % of their sales, they ramp up the price. Yes retail rent is high here, but so is 5th Avenue, Champs Elysees (however you spell it) and Bond St, likely higher I would guess plus higher staff costs and for sure higher profits taxes.
We have about the same approach in lux retail in Russia.
frown.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KlezmerBlues
Would I be right in assuming that the G&G lasts are a bit more elongated, and that: DG70≈82; TG73≈888; GG06≈202; MH71≈606?

That was my observation as well.

Originally Posted by jamestct
I'm pretty sure all G&G lasts are similar to the EG 888, differing only in toe shape. All G&G lasts therefore fit the same, unlike the various EG lasts.

Originally Posted by Nick A
This is correct.

Interesting.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
^ This is awesome. Thanks Nutcracker.

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
very very awesome!

Originally Posted by Jorge
Thanks for the very informative posts Nutcracker. Well done.

Thanks fellows. There's a lot of really informative and fun shoes articles out there in Japanese (especially from MEN's EX), and I don't think it will hurt anyone here to get to chance to read some of them.... I'm currently working on the Alden page, which will complete this article, hopefully soon! Thanks for all the encouragement!

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
side note, you live in Taipei, glad to see my fellow countryman once a while
laugh.gif

Nice to meet you too! Then you must know I must be sweating whenever I wear fine shoes out at the rubble-filled streets of Taipei
laugh.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nutcracker
Nice to meet you too! Then you must know I must be sweating whenever I wear fine shoes out at the rubble-filled streets of Taipei
laugh.gif

dont worry i wear my bespoke shoes in run down area's in ShenZhen without issue, in fact they wear better than cheapo's

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads