• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jorge
Terrific, thanks Nutcracker, what were the comments on the other shoes?

So, you also want the articles about JM Weston Golf, Green's Dover and Alden shell V-tip translated and scanned?

Aren't you asking a bit much from the poor Nutcracker?

Nutcracker - terrific posting! Thanks for your work!

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jorge
Terrific, thanks Nutcracker, what were the comments on the other shoes? What made the JMWs stand out?

Thanks Jorge. I'll think about translating the other pages if I can squeeze in some time
smile.gif

JM Weston got top marks for quality leather inside out, the accuracy of the upper stitching, using old-school construction method such as the midsole cut with a fuller/groove (?), flexible midsole made of split leather, a comfortable fitting last, and being the most inexpensive one from the crop also helped. In Japan, Golf costs 98,000 yen ($1200 USD), vs 137,550 ($1700) for EG Dover, and a whopping 155,000 yen ($1900) for G&G St. James.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nutcracker
Hi Fellas!

Just for fun, I did some translation (Japanese to English) from the new June edition of MENS'EX magazine. From those who haven't heard, those blasphemous editors dissected some of the most iconic dress shoes (JM Weston Golf, Green's Dover, Alden shell V-tip, and G&G St.James) to analyze their quality (JM Weston got the highest overall mark btw). Really quite a shame that non-Japanese can't appreciate the bloody sacrifices. My translation (and grammar) isn't pitch perfect, but should be understandable for most of you. I'm also attaching the original Japanese version for you to compare, as well as a more crisp version as an attached file.

Been lurking here on this thread for a while, just thought I could contribute some. Enjoy
smile.gif

Thanks for the translation! Very informative.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
great post, i hope you can do the others

jamaican

Reaction score
Thanks Jorge. I'll think about translating the other pages if I can squeeze in some time
smile.gif

JM Weston got top marks for quality leather inside out, the accuracy of the upper stitching, using old-school construction method such as the midsole cut with a fuller/groove (?), flexible midsole made of split leather, a comfortable fitting last, and being the most inexpensive one from the crop also helped. In Japan, Golf costs 98,000 yen ($1200 USD), vs 137,550 ($1700) for EG Dover, and a whopping 155,000 yen ($1900) for G&G St. James.

Wow... I didn't realise that shoes were that insanely expensive in Japan. USD 1,900 for G&Gs is just too much... do Japan sibsidise the cost for the rest of us? J

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamaican
Wow... I didn't realise that shoes were that insanely expensive in Japan. USD 1,900 for G&Gs is just too much... do Japan sibsidise the cost for the rest of us? J

I know people for who think that(converted) ca. 1500€ for St.Crispin's is a good deal in Japan and that is ca.50% more than in Euroland.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LOL, I don't how the whole tariff business works for luxury goods, but yeah its' close to double of UK price. I know quite a lot of Japanese lads go straight to Nick or even Dean for a pair (or pairs).

Jorge

Reaction score
smile.gif

Thanks again Nutcracker. I have a few pairs of JMW and always thought them well made.
I find these shoe dismemberment stories interesting.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're thinking that G&G is pocketing the difference?

rethink!

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know you're probably kidding, but I bet the difference goes to the Japanese government in the form of an import tariff.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Thank you for a great thread! Are there any good comparison shots between the different G&G lasts and EG lasts? Would I be right in assuming that the G&G lasts are a bit more elongated, and that: DG70≈82; TG73≈888; GG06≈202; MH71≈606?

iyorito

Reaction score
Duty and the Japanese agent takes a huge provision for currency fluctuations. We get nothing more than the wholesale price.

M.Hasegawa, Director
Gaziano and Girling Limited

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Most luxury goods with the exception of watches and jewellery tends to be far higher priced in Asia, sometimes to do with luxury goods taxes and sometimes just because the brand is damn greedy and own all the retail outlets. Take LV for example, there is no Luxury goods tax in HK nor any Duty or standard sales tax, yet the price can be slightly higher than the regular UK retail price. If you buy in the UK you will get it 20% off once the VAT is removed. There is no way to justify that except greed, not being content with the fact that HK accounts for large % of their sales, they ramp up the price. Yes retail rent is high here, but so is 5th Avenue, Champs Elysees (however you spell it) and Bond St, likely higher I would guess plus higher staff costs and for sure higher profits taxes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads