• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
What toes shape is that on those? Soft square?

Go to the Bespoke site (link at the top of the page) and you'll find the lasts there - and much more.

DLKY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Do you ever polish it? I would. If I see leather I can't help but want to polish it. If you brought a leather bound dominatrix into my house I would polish her.

...in more ways than one...

I'm using it more like a leather desk pad, makes a nice surface to photograph stuff on... I do feel compelled to keep the surface nice and clean, but have not found the need to polish it yet.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Do you ever polish it? I would. If I see leather I can't help but want to polish it. If you brought a leather bound dominatrix into my house I would polish her.

...in more ways than one...

Your black shoe collection just made sense to me.
patch[1].gif

ianGP

Reaction score
^ lol

btw, how much wider is an "F" as opposed to the standard "E" ?
noticeable difference?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
I thought they were hand lasted but machine welted. I don't know how to link to a single post, but here's a thread where Manton discusses his visit to the factory.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=59653&page=2

Interesting. Manton said Tony said handlasted, but this was back then. I wonder if things have changed,

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Interesting. Manton said Tony said handlasted, but this was back then. I wonder if things have changed,

I talked with Dean during the trunk show, and he said something to the effect of the only machine they use is for stitching.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are RTW and MTO G&G lasted by hand or machine?
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
machine
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
I thought they were hand lasted but machine welted. I don't know how to link to a single post, but here's a thread where Manton discusses his visit to the factory. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=59653&page=2
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
I talked with Dean during the trunk show, and he said something to the effect of the only machine they use is for stitching.
Perhaps when they first started, the volume was manageable. But now, RTW shoes are machine lasted and machine welted. However, every single pair is hand finished. Here is the lasting machine, which I was told is about 80 years old.
standard.jpg
Here is one being lasted.
standard.jpg
This approach is as close to hand making as it gets since it replicates the exact same process of hand lasting and hand welting. Also note that Tony and Dean call their RTW bench-made, as distinct to hand-made. For those who care, this reflects an honest description of their production methods. They call it as it is unlike others who insist that a hand guiding a lasted upper through a Goodyear welting machine constitutes being "hand-made".​

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I would stand corrected. Always good to learn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads