• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Further Changes at Edward Green ...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really wouldn't worry about all of the changes. Green is hardly an artisanal company that relies on individual skill for their products. I think that most machine made lines of clothing and shoes can handle all sorts of departures from their ranks and not really miss a beat. It is not as though a company like Vass is losing one of their best shoemakers. There are many shoemakers of equal and higher quality than Green, and they lose employees every day.

The bespoke thing is only a big deal as far as recent history. Green is not, and has never been, a company known for its bespoke shoemaking, no matter how nice it is.

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The bespoke thing is only a big deal as far as recent history. Green is not, and has never been, a company known for its bespoke shoemaking, no matter how nice it is.

Hear, hear! I mentioned this in the other thread - EG did not make its name with bespoke (unlike Lobb, where RTW followed a bespoke operation), and did not offer it at all until comparatively recently.

Also agree that Susie, while wonderful, is not likely to be the lynchpin of the whole organization. I can see why moving to C&J would make sense for her - they have more shops, which means that one can more quickly move into management. The problem with companies like EG is that upward mobility is limited by company size and number of outlets - there is only so much higher-paid, higher-status work to be done, and a lot of it can be carried by a capable chief executive like Hilary, who likely wears many hats.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had heard this, too, but was asked not to say anything until it was officially public. Apparently she's leaving because she doesn't want to travel as much.

--Andre

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To add to the mystery...

I was just informed that Edward Green will no longer be accepting orders for shoes in birch or maple unless they are a contrast color for a spectator. I suppose that birch and maple are not big enough sellers and that they require too many "one-offs" to be financially viable hides for EG to offer.

It seems as though they are pulling back on their operations to a certain degree, which is not uncommon, but still noteworthy.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
To add to the mystery...

I was just informed that Edward Green will no longer be accepting orders for shoes in birch or maple unless they are a contrast color for a spectator. I suppose that birch and maple are not big enough sellers and that they require too many "one-offs" to be financially viable hides for EG to offer.

It seems as though they are pulling back on their operations to a certain degree, which is not uncommon, but still noteworthy.

Glad that I got mine. Did your order make it through, or was it retroactively dinged?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Glad that I got mine. Did your order make it through, or was it retroactively dinged?

Matt...It looks like mine will be the last pair off the line in maple, whew.

Tom Park at LeatherSoul saved the day by getting EG to agree to produce my Ryes.
inlove.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should allow the leathers to be ordered at an upcharge. Presumably the only cost differential is in the skin, i.e. not in manufacture. I would be willing to pay extra for bespoke quality skins, too.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the mystery...

I have always liked the burnt pine color. It seems to be very popular now.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
To add to the mystery...

I was just informed that Edward Green will no longer be accepting orders for shoes in birch or maple...

Perpahs a tragic result of worldwide birch and maple depletion.
lookaround.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Perpahs a tragic result of worldwide birch and maple depletion.
lookaround.gif

What, are you the Lorax?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Green is hardly an artisanal company that relies on individual skill for their products.
I think it still takes a huge amount of skill and experience to make a Green shoe, despite their being less handwork involved. Green is probably the best machine welted/hand finished shoe in the world, a very high standard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads